Dell Precision 380 Hangs

I have a Dell Precision 380 which has worked with Windows XP for years.
Recently, the system just hangs during a login to XP. Ctrl-Alt-Del gets no
response. There is no blue screen and no error dialog. The system simply
freezes.

What kinds of hardware errors might cause this? Probably a bad CPU?

Ben Myers

On Wednesday, June 6, 2012 1:50:19 AM UTC-4, W wrote:
> I have a Dell Precision 380 which has worked with Windows XP for years.
> Recently, the system just hangs during a login to XP. Ctrl-Alt-Del getsno
> response. There is no blue screen and no error dialog. The system simply
> freezes.
>
> What kinds of hardware errors might cause this? Probably a bad CPU?
>
> --

Most likely causes from what I've seen for years:

1. Failing hard drive
2. Failing hard drive
3. Failing hard drive
4. Overheating, caused by a clutter of dust and dirt inside the system
5. Software that has gotten completely hosed
6. Motherboard failing, due to bad capacitors, or, perhaps, too much heat

Really and truly, deterioration of the surfaces of hard drive platters is the most likely cause.

Bad CPU and bad memory are near the bottom off the list, almost off the bottom.

Test the hardware. Download and run hard drive diagostics that do not require a running Windows environment. All name brand mfrs except Toshiba (only laptop drives, anyway) have diagnostics free for the downloading. MEMTEST-86+ tests the system memory and also the motherboard circuitry.

Does the system boot into safe mode?

If the hard drive and other hardware appear to be good, do a Windows repairinstall. Don't mess with the software untill you know that the hardware is 100% OK. Otherwise, to quote an old Slavic proverb, you'll be peeing in your own soup... Ben

.... Ben Myers

Re: Dell Precision 380 doesn't seem to get SMART data for SATA drives Ben Myers Dell 0 03-26-2009 04:29 PM
Re: Dell Precision 380 doesn't seem to get SMART data for SATA drives William R. Walsh Dell 0 03-26-2009 01:46 PM
XPS 400 or Precision 380 ? ChrisE Dell 2 08-11-2006 12:28 AM
optiplex 170 vs precision 380 vs dimensino 5150 zigipha@hotmail.com Dell 5 01-16-2006 10:01 PM
Video Editing Precision 380 -vs- XPS 600 Dell 4 12-07-2005 07:21 AM