Dell, Vista and Sonic's "Record Never"

Ben Myers

A customer of mine bought a new Inspiron 1501 with Vista Home. Now Windows
Vista keeps reminding her the Sonic's DLA software is incompatible withVista and
that she has to get an update, which, of course, is unavailable from Dell.

Seems to me that I recall someone having trouble with the Sonic Record Now
shipped by Dell with Vista. Anybody know of any updates that will work with
Vista? It's pretty dimwitted of Michael to bundle incompatible versions of
software with computers running Vista. It looks like the high quality work he
used to do back in his dorm room is really slipping... Ben Myers

Ben Myers

To answer my own question, here's where to get the Sonic DLA patch for Vista:

http://docs.roxio.com/patches/d2d3290.exe

.... Ben

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 19:38:32 -0500, Ben Myers
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>A customer of mine bought a new Inspiron 1501 with Vista Home. Now Windows
>Vista keeps reminding her the Sonic's DLA software is incompatible withVista and
>that she has to get an update, which, of course, is unavailable from Dell.
>
>Seems to me that I recall someone having trouble with the Sonic Record Now
>shipped by Dell with Vista. Anybody know of any updates that will work with
>Vista? It's pretty dimwitted of Michael to bundle incompatible versions of
>software with computers running Vista. It looks like the high quality work he
>used to do back in his dorm room is really slipping... Ben Myers

journey

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It's pretty dimwitted of Michael to bundle incompatible versions of
>software with computers running Vista. It looks like the high quality work he
>used to do back in his dorm room is really slipping... Ben Myers

I am also getting this error on my new Inspiron 640m with Vista
Business. If I find a solution before someone else does I'll post it.
Fortunately I seldom use DLA, and I am actually grateful, as a Vista
early adopter, that I don't have 20 dialog boxes popping up. I have
had very few glitches with Vista, and my "base load" of software is
working very smoothly (oh oh, I've cursed myself now...).

Ray

I had a similar problem and was advised by Roxio to remove Microsoft update
KB929427 as a work-around. This is an update to the "Windows Vista
Application Compatibility" program that runs at boot up. Roxio further
advised that they were working on a resolution to the issue. Is the patch
that you suggest, a permanent resolution?

Ray

"Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> To answer my own question, here's where to get the Sonic DLA patch for
> Vista:
>
> http://docs.roxio.com/patches/d2d3290.exe
>
> ... Ben
>
> On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 19:38:32 -0500, Ben Myers
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>A customer of mine bought a new Inspiron 1501 with Vista Home. Now
>>Windows
>>Vista keeps reminding her the Sonic's DLA software is incompatible
>>withVista and
>>that she has to get an update, which, of course, is unavailable from Dell.
>>
>>Seems to me that I recall someone having trouble with the Sonic Record Now
>>shipped by Dell with Vista. Anybody know of any updates that will work
>>with
>>Vista? It's pretty dimwitted of Michael to bundle incompatible versions
>>of
>>software with computers running Vista. It looks like the high quality
>>work he
>>used to do back in his dorm room is really slipping... Ben Myers

Ben Myers

Not sure. The URL was posted on Dell's own Vista newsgroup... Ben Myers

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>A customer of mine bought a new Inspiron 1501 with Vista Home. Now Windows
>Vista keeps reminding her the Sonic's DLA software is incompatible withVista and
>that she has to get an update, which, of course, is unavailable from Dell.
>
>Seems to me that I recall someone having trouble with the Sonic Record Now
>shipped by Dell with Vista. Anybody know of any updates that will work with
>Vista? It's pretty dimwitted of Michael to bundle incompatible versions of
>software with computers running Vista. It looks like the high quality work he
>used to do back in his dorm room is really slipping... Ben Myers

For those that don't want DLA, an uninstall / reinstall from the disk
that comes with the PC works fine. To not install DLA, just don't
reinstall drag to disk.

I never use drag to disk, and DLA has caused problems for me in the
past so this is an acceptable workaround. You can also choose not to
reinstall MyDVD if you don't use that.

journey

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I had a similar problem and was advised by Roxio to remove Microsoft update
>KB929427 as a work-around. This is an update to the "Windows Vista
>Application Compatibility" program that runs at boot up. Roxio further
>advised that they were working on a resolution to the issue. Is the patch
>that you suggest, a permanent resolution?
>
>Ray

Here is a link to the Dell support page explaining the fix:

http://tinyurl.com/2xgfkj

Sparky Spartacus

journey wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 19:38:32 -0500, Ben Myers
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> A customer of mine bought a new Inspiron 1501 with Vista Home. Now Windows
>> Vista keeps reminding her the Sonic's DLA software is incompatible withVista and
>> that she has to get an update, which, of course, is unavailable from Dell.
>>
>> Seems to me that I recall someone having trouble with the Sonic Record Now
>> shipped by Dell with Vista. Anybody know of any updates that will work with
>> Vista? It's pretty dimwitted of Michael to bundle incompatible versions of
>> software with computers running Vista. It looks like the high quality work he
>> used to do back in his dorm room is really slipping... Ben Myers

> For those that don't want DLA, an uninstall / reinstall from the disk
> that comes with the PC works fine. To not install DLA, just don't
> reinstall drag to disk.
>
> I never use drag to disk, and DLA has caused problems for me in the
> past so this is an acceptable workaround. You can also choose not to
> reinstall MyDVD if you don't use that.

That's my solution - I've had problems with DLA in the past, e.g.,
SGTRAY.exe won't terminate when I do a Windows shutdown. I have a copy
of Record Now I bought from Sonic a couple of years ago - it has no
option on whether or not it should install DLA, so the first thing I do
after installing Record Now is to go to Add/Remove Programs and
uninstall DLA (it's independent of RN, which I've used for years).

Jim Lawson

Ben Myers wrote:

> A customer of mine bought a new Inspiron 1501 with Vista Home. Now
> Windows Vista keeps reminding her the Sonic's DLA software is
> incompatible withVista and that she has to get an update, which, of
> course, is unavailable from Dell.
>
> Seems to me that I recall someone having trouble with the Sonic Record
> Now shipped by Dell with Vista. Anybody know of any updates that
> will work with Vista? It's pretty dimwitted of Michael to bundle
> incompatible versions of software with computers running Vista. It
> looks like the high quality work he used to do back in his dorm room
> is really slipping... Ben Myers

I saw the same dialog with my XPS410 and the bundled Roxio light
software. I think it was removing the drag to disc entry in add/remove
programs which got rid of the offending DLA software. It is sad that they
would bundle incompatible software.

I ended up uninstalling the bundled Roxio software and installing Nero 7
to resolve some other issues. I've been keeping a diary of my experience
with Vista on my blog and have since reinstalled the entire OS to resolve
a problem and get rid of the bundled Dell bits that I didn't want or
need.

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-vbgL8...lm11BqaTz?p=30

--
(E-Mail Removed) mst3k#3801 http://www.jlawson.org
"A seminar on time travel will be held 2 weeks ago"

journey

On 03 Mar 2007 03:24:31 GMT, Jim Lawson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I've been keeping a diary of my experience
>with Vista on my blog and have since reinstalled the entire OS to resolve
>a problem and get rid of the bundled Dell bits that I didn't want or
>need.
>
>http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-vbgL8...lm11BqaTz?p=30

My computer came lean and mean without many Dell bits. Before
installing _any_ software or drivers I check with the provider to
ensure that they are Vista compatible. Installing any webcam or other
software without knowing if they are Vista compatible is bound to
cause problems. Maybe the programs and drivers you installed were
Vista compatible -- that wasn't clear from your blog.