Desktop background image does not display correctly

Greg_R

Hello,

I have a Dell Latitude XT tablet running WinXP Tablet PC edition.
I've just recently installed IE8 and also updated Windows Live Essentials.
Upon completion of the new installs, I've found that my desktop wallpaper
images won't centre properly on the screen when I'm in tablet mode
(800x1280). In addition, commands to stretch, centre, or tile the image does
nothing in tablet mode. The image (and all modifying commands) works fine
when I'm in laptop mode (1280x800).

Can anyone help me? It's not a functional problem, but my desktop looks
terrible now in tablet mode, and I use my computer is tablet mode 90% of the
time.

Thanks for the help.

-Greg

Greg_R

Correction - I can't change the desktop background in laptop mode either -
it's scaled to stretch in the horizontal aspect...

"Greg_R" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a Dell Latitude XT tablet running WinXP Tablet PC edition.
> I've just recently installed IE8 and also updated Windows Live Essentials.
> Upon completion of the new installs, I've found that my desktop wallpaper
> images won't centre properly on the screen when I'm in tablet mode
> (800x1280). In addition, commands to stretch, centre, or tile the image does
> nothing in tablet mode. The image (and all modifying commands) works fine
> when I'm in laptop mode (1280x800).
>
> Can anyone help me? It's not a functional problem, but my desktop looks
> terrible now in tablet mode, and I use my computer is tablet mode 90% of the
> time.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> -Greg

Beverly Howard

>> I use my computer is tablet mode 90% of the time. <<

Think your best bet will be to create a desktop that matches your tablet
aspect ratio... i.e. an image in portrait orientation sized to match the
table screen.

That will size correctly in tablet orientation (portrait) then the
handling setting will determine how it displays in the landscape
orientation...

....suggest using tile or center if it's unacceptable when stretched...
might also look for an acceptable image that looks ok when distorted.

Beverly Howard

Greg_R

l'd done all of that prior to updating IE8. Thanks anyways.

I've tracked the problem to a change made to the active desktop since I
installed IE8. I've disabled the active desktop in the registry, and it's the
wallpaper scaling/centering is back to normal.

"Beverly Howard" wrote:

> >> I use my computer is tablet mode 90% of the time. <<

> Think your best bet will be to create a desktop that matches your tablet
> aspect ratio... i.e. an image in portrait orientation sized to match the
> table screen.
>
> That will size correctly in tablet orientation (portrait) then the
> handling setting will determine how it displays in the landscape
> orientation...
>
> ....suggest using tile or center if it's unacceptable when stretched...
> might also look for an acceptable image that looks ok when distorted.
>
> Beverly Howard

Rainald Taesler

Greg_R wrote:

> l'd done all of that prior to updating IE8. Thanks anyways.
>
> I've tracked the problem to a change made to the active desktop since
> I installed IE8. I've disabled the active desktop in the registry,
> and it's the wallpaper scaling/centering is back to normal.

Thanks for your success report.
Good to hera that you are settled.

Honestly speaking: I hardly ever used the "Active Desktip" feature -
never came to understanding what it might be good for.

Rainald

Beverly Howard

>> I hardly ever used the "Active Desktip" feature -
never came to understanding what it might be good for. <<

In my experience, it's great for creating problems... have tried it on
several occasions and, were the initial results were ok, there were
always problems down the line... it's easy, however, so, suggest setting
it up to see what's possible... i.e. you can have a current weather map
as your desktop.

Beverly Howard

Rainald Taesler

Beverly Howard wrote:

>>> I hardly ever used the "Active Desktip" feature -

> never came to understanding what it might be good for. <<
>
> In my experience, it's great for creating problems... have tried it on
> several occasions and, were the initial results were ok, there were
> always problems down the line... it's easy, however, so, suggest
> setting it up to see what's possible... i.e. you can have a current
> weather map as your desktop.

Might be.
As said, I hardly ever used it and I did not even think that it was
still available (thought it had gone with [latest] Win2k).

For weather I'm using a Gadget <bg>.

Rainald