Did I get what I paid for?

Hugo Roubroeks

You must check the cpu frequence in the bios.
When you set this on 133 Mgh, I think the problem is gone.

Greatings Hugo Roubroeks

"Sean Berry" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> I bought an OEM AMD Athlon XP 2400+ processor from a local computer store
> yesterday.
>
> I am going to primarily run FreeBSD on it, but tried it with XP just for
> kicks. When I right clicked the "My Computer" icon and went to properties
> it says under "Computer":
>
> AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
> 1.49 GHz
> 1.00 GB of RAM
>
> So, I ran wcpuid and it came up with:
> Processor: AMD Athlon XP (Model 8)
> Name String: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
>
> What gives???
> Did I get ripped off, and do I now need to set some people staight?
>
> Any help here is greatly appreciated.

Sean Berry

I bought an OEM AMD Athlon XP 2400+ processor from a local computer store
yesterday.

I am going to primarily run FreeBSD on it, but tried it with XP just for
kicks. When I right clicked the "My Computer" icon and went to properties
it says under "Computer":

AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
1.49 GHz
1.00 GB of RAM

So, I ran wcpuid and it came up with:
Processor: AMD Athlon XP (Model 8)
Name String: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+

What gives???
Did I get ripped off, and do I now need to set some people staight?

Any help here is greatly appreciated.

Wes Newell

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 00:32:49 -0700, Sean Berry wrote:

> I bought an OEM AMD Athlon XP 2400+ processor from a local computer store
> yesterday.
>
> I am going to primarily run FreeBSD on it, but tried it with XP just for
> kicks. When I right clicked the "My Computer" icon and went to properties
> it says under "Computer":
>
> AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
> 1.49 GHz
> 1.00 GB of RAM
>
> So, I ran wcpuid and it came up with:
> Processor: AMD Athlon XP (Model 8)
> Name String: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
>
> What gives???
> Did I get ripped off, and do I now need to set some people staight?
>
> Any help here is greatly appreciated.

Set the FSB to 133 and then you will have a 2400+ running at 2000Mhz. Set
the FSB to166 (assuming your board supports it) and then you will have a
2700+ running at 2166MHz. Set it to 180, well, you get the picture.

S.Heenan

Sean Berry wrote:
> I bought an OEM AMD Athlon XP 2400+ processor from a local computer
> store yesterday.
>
> I am going to primarily run FreeBSD on it, but tried it with XP just
> for kicks. When I right clicked the "My Computer" icon and went to
> properties it says under "Computer":
>
> AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
> 1.49 GHz
> 1.00 GB of RAM

15 is the native multiplier of the 2400+ model. Your FSB is at 100MHz. Raise
it to 133MHz and you'll see 2000MHz, what it should be.

Wes Newell

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 07:34:11 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 00:32:49 -0700, Sean Berry wrote:
>
>> I bought an OEM AMD Athlon XP 2400+ processor from a local computer store
>> yesterday.
>>

> Set the FSB to 133 and then you will have a 2400+ running at 2000Mhz. Set
> the FSB to166 (assuming your board supports it) and then you will have a
> 2700+ running at 2166MHz. Set it to 180, well, you get the picture.

I screwed up. 13x166 is the 2700+:-)
Although with a lot of luck and enough vcore, you might get 15x166
(2500MHz), but not likely. 15x144 should be though, for the same 2166MHz.