Difference between i865 and i875?

husker3in4

Im about to get a new board. I've used the i865 in the past, and had no problems with it. The 875 is more expensive, so I'm
assuming its better. Some of the benchmarks that came out when both chipsets were new show not much if any performance
differance. What warrants the higher price on the i875 chipsets then? Im debating between the IS-7 and the IC-7. I do alot of
gaming on my computer too. Can anyone offer any insight? Thanks.

Richard Hopkins

"husker3in4" wrote in message...
> The 875 is more expensive, so I'm assuming its better.

A little bit, but the performances aren't huge. The original differences
between the chipsets were that the 875 supports ECC main memory (nobody
apart from server users care about that anyway) and Performance Acceleration
Technology, which shortens the memory pathways, boosting performance.

The thing was that the motherboard makers worked out a way to enable
PAT-like performance on 865 too, which is why the benchmarks are close.

> What warrants the higher price on the i875 chipsets then?

It's the best Intel/DDR chipset, period. That's not to say 865 isn't really
good as well, just not quite there.

> Im debating between the IS-7 and the IC-7. I do alot of gaming on my
> computer too. Can anyone offer any insight? Thanks.

The IC7-G and IC7-Max3 are excellent overclocking platforms, slightly better
than the IS7 series. The best way to use these boards is with a Northwood
2.4, 2.6 or 2.8C and some really fast memory. If you want to squeeze the
last bit of performance and want the best you can buy, one of these boards
will be the choice, depending on whether or not you need serial or parallel
ports. If, however, you don't need the extra SATA controllers, CSA ethernet,
ultimate overclockability and so-on, save yourself a few quid and get the
IS7.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

husker3in4

Thanks for the advice. I dont do overclocking at all, so I wouldnt need that capability. Regarding the extra SATA ports, does
that mean I can run 2, 3 or 4 SATA drives and still be able to use the 2 IDE ports for my DVD-rom and DVD-burner? Also, does
the IC7 come with a built in Firewire port? That would be handy. I would probably putting on a P4 3.2E cpu on there, and not
overclock it. I already have 1GB of PC3200 DDR, and a kickin video card (GF 6800 GT). I've used ASUS motherboards for a
couple years now, but have had great luck with the ABIT IS-10/7 while building machines for other people. The onboard sound
on those ABITs seems to be a little more clear also. Thanks for your help.

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:03:59 +0100, "Richard Hopkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"husker3in4" wrote in message...
>> The 875 is more expensive, so I'm assuming its better.

>A little bit, but the performances aren't huge. The original differences
>between the chipsets were that the 875 supports ECC main memory (nobody
>apart from server users care about that anyway) and Performance Acceleration
>Technology, which shortens the memory pathways, boosting performance.
>
>The thing was that the motherboard makers worked out a way to enable
>PAT-like performance on 865 too, which is why the benchmarks are close.
>
>> What warrants the higher price on the i875 chipsets then?

>It's the best Intel/DDR chipset, period. That's not to say 865 isn't really
>good as well, just not quite there.
>
>> Im debating between the IS-7 and the IC-7. I do alot of gaming on my
>> computer too. Can anyone offer any insight? Thanks.

>The IC7-G and IC7-Max3 are excellent overclocking platforms, slightly better
>than the IS7 series. The best way to use these boards is with a Northwood
>2.4, 2.6 or 2.8C and some really fast memory. If you want to squeeze the
>last bit of performance and want the best you can buy, one of these boards
>will be the choice, depending on whether or not you need serial or parallel
>ports. If, however, you don't need the extra SATA controllers, CSA ethernet,
>ultimate overclockability and so-on, save yourself a few quid and get the
>IS7.

Richard Hopkins

"husker3in4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message...
> Thanks for the advice. I dont do overclocking at all

If you "don't do" overclocking, why on earth are you here talking about
premium motherboards? Intel makes plenty of motherboards that are free of
any overclocking related features, as do plenty of the cheaper motherboard
makers. Are you allergic to it or something?

> so I wouldnt need that capability.

Really? Your logic seems a little screwed up. You seem to want a high
performance system, but you're completely ignoring a way to get yourself a
stack more performance for free.

> Regarding the extra SATA ports, does that mean I can run 2, 3 or 4 SATA
> drives and still be able to use the 2 IDE ports for my DVD-rom and
> DVD-burner?

The IC7-G will let you run four S-ATA devices plus four parallel ATA
devices. The IC7 Max 3 will let you run six S-ATA devices plus four parallel
giving ten in total.

> Also, does the IC7 come with a built in Firewire port?

Don't remember. Why don't you look at the specs on Abit's website and find
out?

> I would probably putting on a P4 3.2E cpu on there, and not
> overclock it.

Why? The Prescott CPU's are poor performers, and if you can still find one,
you'd be far better off with a Northwood. Even then, if you're building this
system for performance, you'd be far better off finding a 2.6 or 2.8GHz CPU
and getting over your apparent aversion to overclocking. The result will
**** on your proposed 3.2E system running at stock speed.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

husker3in4

I just prefer to stick with known brands of motherboards. I dont overclock because Id rather not risk burning up or otherwise
damaging the hardware I just shelled out for, for a few fps. Thanks for the advice tho.

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 01:02:59 +0100, "Richard Hopkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"husker3in4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message...
>> Thanks for the advice. I dont do overclocking at all

>If you "don't do" overclocking, why on earth are you here talking about
>premium motherboards? Intel makes plenty of motherboards that are free of
>any overclocking related features, as do plenty of the cheaper motherboard
>makers. Are you allergic to it or something?
>
>> so I wouldnt need that capability.

>Really? Your logic seems a little screwed up. You seem to want a high
>performance system, but you're completely ignoring a way to get yourself a
>stack more performance for free.
>
>> Regarding the extra SATA ports, does that mean I can run 2, 3 or 4 SATA
>> drives and still be able to use the 2 IDE ports for my DVD-rom and
>> DVD-burner?

>The IC7-G will let you run four S-ATA devices plus four parallel ATA
>devices. The IC7 Max 3 will let you run six S-ATA devices plus four parallel
>giving ten in total.
>
>> Also, does the IC7 come with a built in Firewire port?

>Don't remember. Why don't you look at the specs on Abit's website and find
>out?
>
>> I would probably putting on a P4 3.2E cpu on there, and not
>> overclock it.

>Why? The Prescott CPU's are poor performers, and if you can still find one,
>you'd be far better off with a Northwood. Even then, if you're building this
>system for performance, you'd be far better off finding a 2.6 or 2.8GHz CPU
>and getting over your apparent aversion to overclocking. The result will
>**** on your proposed 3.2E system running at stock speed.

Richard Hopkins

"husker3in4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just prefer to stick with known brands of motherboards.

Intel isn't a known brand?

> I dont overclock because Id rather not risk burning up or
> otherwise damaging the hardware I just shelled out for,
> for a few fps.

Again, your logic is crap. If you overclock sensibly and with a degree of
thought and attention, there is *no* more risk of the components "burning
up" than there is from running them at default speeds. This is especially
true nowadays with the thermal protection mechanisms built into P4
motherboards.

At end of day if you are stupid/inept/ignorant enough to "burn up" an
overclocked system, you are also stupid/inept/ignorant enough to f*ck up a
non-overclocked system. If you genuinely are stupid, inept or ignorant, the
safest course of action would be to avoid DIY computers altogether and go
buy a Dell or something like that.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

dutchovenguy

Not everyone wants to do it your way. Get over yourself. People are allowed
to stray outside YOUR idea of what people should do.

Husker3in4... I say go for it and let us know how it turns out!

"Richard Hopkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> At end of day if you are stupid/inept/ignorant enough to "burn up" an
> overclocked system, you are also stupid/inept/ignorant enough to f*ck up a
> non-overclocked system. If you genuinely are stupid, inept or ignorant,

the
> safest course of action would be to avoid DIY computers altogether and go
> buy a Dell or something like that.
> --
>

> Richard Hopkins
> Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
> (replace .nospam with .com in reply address)

Richard Hopkins

"dutchovenguy" wrote in message...
> Not everyone wants to do it your way.

"My" way? I didn't mention a way, one way or the other.

Husker was making out like there's some sort of risk inherent in
overclocking his computer: "I dont overclock because Id rather not risk
burning up or otherwise damaging the hardware". Without wishing to labour
the point, I said that the only circumstances under which you'd damage an
overclocked computer were if you were stupid (etc.), and if you *were*
stupid, you'd damage a non-overclocked computer just as quickly.

> Get over yourself. People are allowed to stray outside YOUR idea
> of what people should do.

Pmsl, suggest you count to ten and read my post again, as you've got totally
the wrong end of the stick. The inference is that if the OP is not inept
(etc.), there's no greater risk involved in running an overclocked system
than there is in running it stock, and a nice, free performance gain to be
had into the bargain.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

JH

>Also, does
> the IC7 come with a built in Firewire port?

I have the IS7 and it includes an onboard Firewire port.

---

husker3in4

Thanks for all the input in this thread. I ordered the IS7.

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 08:23:08 -0500, "JH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>Also, does
>> the IC7 come with a built in Firewire port?

>I have the IS7 and it includes an onboard Firewire port.
>

>---

ABIT AS8 Core Duo E6XXX support (similiar ASROCK at i865 has it) tester ASRock 2 09-22-2006 10:38 AM
i915 vs i865 joskb Asus 1 11-30-2004 03:10 PM
Difference between i865 and i875? husker3in4 Asus 5 10-30-2004 05:13 AM
2 questions: Difference between 65w and 90w AC adapter and 2nd battery Martin Barron Dell 1 04-27-2004 09:27 PM
Difference between P4C800 and P4C800-E and Deluxe or not Deluxe??? Memphoman Asus 2 02-11-2004 12:18 AM