Difference between Q6600 and Xeon 3220

Daniel Albuschat

Hi there,

since a friend asked me yesterday whether to buy a Xeon or a Core 2 Quad
and I had no clue what the difference might be, I thought I should ask
here.

Is it the same CPU, labeled differently? Is there a possibility of
better overclock-rates with the Xeon?

I haven't found any benchmarks or so with Xeon vs. Core 2 on the net.

Greetings,

Daniel

Brett Kline

Daniel Albuschat wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> since a friend asked me yesterday whether to buy a Xeon or a Core 2
> Quad and I had no clue what the difference might be, I thought I
> should ask here.
>
> Is it the same CPU, labeled differently? Is there a possibility of
> better overclock-rates with the Xeon?
>
> I haven't found any benchmarks or so with Xeon vs. Core 2 on the net.

http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=60

The processor in this review is marked "ES", Engineering Sample, which
usually have unlocked multipliers.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sspec=sl9up

Daniel Albuschat

Brett Kline schrieb:
> Daniel Albuschat wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> since a friend asked me yesterday whether to buy a Xeon or a Core 2
>> Quad and I had no clue what the difference might be, I thought I
>> should ask here.
>>
>> Is it the same CPU, labeled differently? Is there a possibility of
>> better overclock-rates with the Xeon?
>>
>> I haven't found any benchmarks or so with Xeon vs. Core 2 on the net.

> http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=60

Thanks for the pointer. So the bottom-line is that it's a bit cooler and
hence can be easier overclocked, from what I've read.
The vcore is a bit hefty at 1.51V and the full load temperature of 68C
unacceptable, imho.

This setup overclocked at 3.6GHz has the same 3DMark score as my 3.0GHz
Q6600 with a overclocked GeForce 8800 GTS. This is a bad comparison,
though...

Regards,

Daniel Albuschat