Difference of core registers and peripheral registers

Ravi kumar.N

Respected Experts,
I am Ravi Kumar.N, working on intel processor. I
am new to embedded system. I have a query regarding the registers.

1) I have seen two types of registers
a) Processor core architecture registers.

b) Processor peripheral registers.

2) I would like to know what is the difference between these two
registers.

Thanks in advance
Ravi Kumar.N

Thad Smith

"Ravi kumar.N" wrote:

> I am Ravi Kumar.N, working on intel processor. I
> am new to embedded system. I have a query regarding the registers.
>
> 1) I have seen two types of registers
> a) Processor core architecture registers.
>
> b) Processor peripheral registers.
>
> 2) I would like to know what is the difference between these two
> registers.

The difference has more to do with history and product differences
than functionality. The early model(s) of the processor define the
core architecture. This would include all the working registers for
computing and maybe some I/O registers, if the original processor was
an embedded type, such as ports 0 - 3 and timer 0 for an 8051
processor. Later models have more features. The added features would
be described as peripheral features.

A good example of this, also based on the Intel 8051 architecture, is
the ST Microelectronics Micro-PSD line of processors, which has an
8051 core, including 8051 I/O ports, plus added memory and ports
mapped into the XDATA (external to original processor design) memory
space, but still on chip. The way of addressing the original
peripherals and added peripherals is different, because they wanted to
maintain the core processor the same. Also, the added features were
originally in a separate IC, now they are in the same package, but the
technique of addressing them remains similar to the earlier split IC
design.

What it means on a practical basis is that you might have separate
documentation for the different sections of the processor. Also, if
you integrate a previously separate IC, you might see vestiges of old
features that are not supported in the combined chip, such as a
separate selectable mode or I/O bit that is not relevant to the
integrated part.

Thad