A different D865PERL problem

Jim

Wow - someone still has this board! Great! Let me try this one...

The on board sound function has failed - kinda

I can use the "SoundMax" software to configure a "4 way stereo"
speaker system and then the "rear pair" of speakers will provide
sound. My DVD player software will now provide audio and Foobar2000
will also play music files since I can tell it to "reverse the front
and rear" channels.

My other music/video software (dbpoweramp, WMP) will not provide audio
because I can't find a front/rear switch within them.

I've removed the SoundMax software, disabled the on board sound and
then reinstalled everything (using the lastest audio driver form
Intel) and - No joy!

I'm about to throw some cheap sound card in the box but just wanted to
know if any of you think that the On Board chip could fail in this
manner or have I just screwup up the drivers in some way.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Jim

George Orwell

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 08:22:24 -0400, Jim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The on board sound function has failed - kinda

I've never been able to get the audio to work out of the rear channel.
Only the front channel works. Intel has 6 errata pertaining to audio
problems on the D865PERL. The feature that all front ports are
re-assignable doesn't work as claimed and there won't be a fix. Even
though the specification may say you can configure any front port for any
device based on what's plugged into the port, the feature doesn't work, and
there's no fix either. They also have the following for the rear channel
jacks:

"6. Advance Jack Sense Will Not Detect Devices Connected to the
Center/LFE and Surround Ports
PROBLEM: Polling devices connected to the Center/LFE and Surround port
would cause popping noise once speakers are connected. Due to this anomaly,
the advance jack sense wizard will not poll and report devices connected to
the Center/LFE and Surround ports although these devices will work
correctly.
IMPLICATION: Devices connected to the Center/LFE or Surround port will be
detected and function correctly,but the advance jack sense wizard will not
poll and report the device.
WORKAROUND: None.
STATUS: This erratum will not be fixed."

My experience is that not only will devices not be detected by the "advance
jack sense wizard" but the devices won't work either. If you're really
into audio, save yourself a lot of time and enjoy better audio by disabling
the on-board audio, and install a PCI sound card.

https://www.mixmaster.it

devin1100

you say that you disabled the soundcard and reinstalled the drivers.
do you mean that you went into device manager and uninstalled them o
just went in there and hit disable?
I would recomend that if you only disabled it when you reinstalled th
drivers try actualy uninstalling them. If you did infact uninstall an
reinstall them then yes your sound card may have some hardware issues.
But before you throw an old sound card in try downloading an olde
version of the drivers

--
devin1100

PCI bus problem - D865PERL cew Intel 11 11-27-2007 10:48 PM
Power saving problem with Intel D865PERL board Michael.Baggarly@gmail.com Intel 1 01-10-2005 08:27 PM
D865PERL mouse problem? PS2 port problem? Mike Intel 0 04-21-2004 03:38 AM
D865PERL and IDCC problem Tomasz Dabrowski Intel 1 03-04-2004 07:39 AM
USB cables with different 'lumps' for different uses? David PC Hardware 11 10-12-2003 08:30 PM