Different XP tablet and Office 2003 Languages - language recogniti

Axel

I have an English version of XP Tablet pc installed on a newly bought Fujitsu
and a French version of Office 2003, including OneNote 2003, from an old
portable I will not use anymore.

Is there an issue installing my version of Office 2003 in French in my
English XP Tablet pc, notably for ink recognition and voice command ? What
should I do to prevent any isssue here ?

--
Axel

Chris H.

Axel, installing one language version on a different language operating
system (in this case French on English) is not the intended install and can
be tenuous at best. I believe there may be a registry change which "may"
allow it, but this is something you should check with the Office experts in
the microsoft.public.office.setup newsgroup. It may be that you would need
the operating system MUI (Multilingual User Interface) Pack which is only
available through volume licensing programs for this to work properly.
Otherwise, I believe the French Office version will be addressing an
incorrect language source structure on the English OS, and therefore, fail
to run correctly.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"Axel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an English version of XP Tablet pc installed on a newly bought
>Fujitsu
> and a French version of Office 2003, including OneNote 2003, from an old
> portable I will not use anymore.
>
> Is there an issue installing my version of Office 2003 in French in my
> English XP Tablet pc, notably for ink recognition and voice command ? What
> should I do to prevent any isssue here ?
>
> --
> Axel

Josh Einstein

Hi Axel, a couple of my customers have this configuration. There are some
things to consider though. The default recognizer that is selected by most
applications will probably be English, which means dates, currency, and
other region-specific formats will probably be in English if that is the
region chosen in the Control Panel.

I don't think you'll have any problems with the main functionality of either
the OS or Office in this mixed language scenario but I don't have any
experience personally with this type of setup. I just wanted to mention that
on more than one occasion, customers have told me they use a mixed language
install.

One stands out in my mind, maybe I'll see if I can get him to jump in this
thread.

--
Josh Einstein
Tablet Enhancements for Outlook 2.0 - Try it free for 14 days

"Axel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an English version of XP Tablet pc installed on a newly bought
>Fujitsu
> and a French version of Office 2003, including OneNote 2003, from an old
> portable I will not use anymore.
>
> Is there an issue installing my version of Office 2003 in French in my
> English XP Tablet pc, notably for ink recognition and voice command ? What
> should I do to prevent any isssue here ?
>
> --
> Axel

Jan Wagner

Axel wrote:
> I have an English version of XP Tablet pc installed on a newly bought Fujitsu
> and a French version of Office 2003, including OneNote 2003, from an old
> portable I will not use anymore.
>
> Is there an issue installing my version of Office 2003 in French in my
> English XP Tablet pc, notably for ink recognition and voice command ? What
> should I do to prevent any isssue here ?

I've been using Office 2003 (Word, OneNote, PowerPoint, Publisher,
Infopath) in German, with FrontPage 2003 in Finnish. Without any
Office Language Interface Packs. My XP Pro Tablet Edition is
English. No problems or issues noticed so far.

In addition: OneNote uses the Tablet PC's handwriting recognition
engine and thus it should be able to do French as well.

I don't know for sure about the Office's built-in (own) handwriting
recongition for other apps than OneNote - at least,
indicates that this handwriting recognition is not supported for
French, German, Finnish etc Office 2003. I may be wrong though, as I
don't have any English office version to compare and check for
differences... Maybe someone knows the definitive answer? In any
case, the normal tablet TIP with it's handwriting reco does work
fine for entering text into e.g. German Word.

regards,
- Jan

Mike Williams

Axel wrote:
> I have an English version of XP Tablet pc installed on a newly bought Fujitsu
> and a French version of Office 2003, including OneNote 2003, from an old
> portable I will not use anymore.
>
> Is there an issue installing my version of Office 2003 in French in my
> English XP Tablet pc, notably for ink recognition and voice command ? What
> should I do to prevent any isssue here ?

You should not have any troubles running ANY language version of Office
on a Windows XP machine. You won't necessarily get the best complement
of language tools out of the box, but that can generally be rectified by
getting the Office 2003 Proofing Tools CD.