Dimension 4550 Bad Memory or Motherboard?

Pat Conover

I had a power outage yesterday when I wasn't home and my computer shut down
after the UPS ran out of power. When I went to start up this morning, I got
three POST beeps and Green Yellow Green Yellow on the rear diagnostics LEDS.
The lookup says memory error, reseat the memory.

So I reseated both dims a 512MB from Crucial and the original 256MB from
Dell. No luck. I pulled the 256MB Dell stick and left the Crucial 512MB in
slot 1. Booted fine, no errors, just memory configuration changed. I then
put the Dell 256MB back in slot 1 and got the same error beeps and
diagnostics.

So, do you think the 256MB from Dell is bad or something worse like the
second memory slot on the MB going bad. I am typing this on the 4550 with
only the 512MB Crucial memory. Thanks Pat

Yeff

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 16:19:38 -0500, Pat Conover wrote:

> So, do you think the 256MB from Dell is bad or something worse like the
> second memory slot on the MB going bad.

Put the 256 in slot 1 and see if it boots.

--

-Jeff B.
zoomie at fastmail dot fm

Pen

"Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>I had a power outage yesterday when I wasn't home and my
>computer shut down after the UPS ran out of power. When I
>went to start up this morning, I got three POST beeps and
>Green Yellow Green Yellow on the rear diagnostics LEDS. The
>lookup says memory error, reseat the memory.
>
> So I reseated both dims a 512MB from Crucial and the
> original 256MB from Dell. No luck. I pulled the 256MB
> Dell stick and left the Crucial 512MB in slot 1. Booted
> fine, no errors, just memory configuration changed. I
> then put the Dell 256MB back in slot 1 and got the same
> error beeps and diagnostics.
>
> So, do you think the 256MB from Dell is bad or something
> worse like the second memory slot on the MB going bad. I
> am typing this on the 4550 with only the 512MB Crucial
> memory. Thanks Pat

If you reverse the memory sticks all your questions will be
answered.

S.Lewis

"Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>I had a power outage yesterday when I wasn't home and my computer shut down
>after the UPS ran out of power. When I went to start up this morning, I
>got three POST beeps and Green Yellow Green Yellow on the rear diagnostics
>LEDS. The lookup says memory error, reseat the memory.
>
> So I reseated both dims a 512MB from Crucial and the original 256MB from
> Dell. No luck. I pulled the 256MB Dell stick and left the Crucial 512MB
> in slot 1. Booted fine, no errors, just memory configuration changed. I
> then put the Dell 256MB back in slot 1 and got the same error beeps and
> diagnostics.
>
> So, do you think the 256MB from Dell is bad or something worse like the
> second memory slot on the MB going bad. I am typing this on the 4550 with
> only the 512MB Crucial memory. Thanks Pat

Try the sticks individually in each socket. Problem will point to a DIMM or
a socket.

That is all.

Stew

Pat Conover

Thanks for the replies. I did swap the 512 and 256 in slot 1. The 512
works, the 256 OEM does not. I don't have another stick of ram here now to
test the second slot, but it appears the 256 OEM stick is bad. I am hoping
the second slot is okay and wasn't damaged somehow. But, that will have to
wait until I get another stick to test it. Merry Christmas, Pat

"S.Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6SMlf.9073$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>I had a power outage yesterday when I wasn't home and my computer shut
>>down after the UPS ran out of power. When I went to start up this
>>morning, I got three POST beeps and Green Yellow Green Yellow on the rear
>>diagnostics LEDS. The lookup says memory error, reseat the memory.
>>
>> So I reseated both dims a 512MB from Crucial and the original 256MB from
>> Dell. No luck. I pulled the 256MB Dell stick and left the Crucial 512MB
>> in slot 1. Booted fine, no errors, just memory configuration changed. I
>> then put the Dell 256MB back in slot 1 and got the same error beeps and
>> diagnostics.
>>
>> So, do you think the 256MB from Dell is bad or something worse like the
>> second memory slot on the MB going bad. I am typing this on the 4550
>> with only the 512MB Crucial memory. Thanks Pat
>>

> Try the sticks individually in each socket. Problem will point to a DIMM
> or a socket.
>
> That is all.
>

> Stew

Christopher Muto

refering to the two memory sockets on the motherboard as slot 0 and slot
1...
you may use a single stick of ram in your system and it may be installed in
either slot 0 or slot 1.
so, if you know the 512mb stick works then try it in the other slot to
determine if the socket is ok.
then remove the 512mb and do the same two tests with the 256mb stick only.
it would be interesting to know what you find out.

"Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Thanks for the replies. I did swap the 512 and 256 in slot 1. The 512
> works, the 256 OEM does not. I don't have another stick of ram here now
> to test the second slot, but it appears the 256 OEM stick is bad. I am
> hoping the second slot is okay and wasn't damaged somehow. But, that will
> have to wait until I get another stick to test it. Merry Christmas, Pat
>
> "S.Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:6SMlf.9073$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>>I had a power outage yesterday when I wasn't home and my computer shut
>>>down after the UPS ran out of power. When I went to start up this
>>>morning, I got three POST beeps and Green Yellow Green Yellow on the rear
>>>diagnostics LEDS. The lookup says memory error, reseat the memory.
>>>
>>> So I reseated both dims a 512MB from Crucial and the original 256MB from
>>> Dell. No luck. I pulled the 256MB Dell stick and left the Crucial
>>> 512MB in slot 1. Booted fine, no errors, just memory configuration
>>> changed. I then put the Dell 256MB back in slot 1 and got the same
>>> error beeps and diagnostics.
>>>
>>> So, do you think the 256MB from Dell is bad or something worse like the
>>> second memory slot on the MB going bad. I am typing this on the 4550
>>> with only the 512MB Crucial memory. Thanks Pat
>>>

>> Try the sticks individually in each socket. Problem will point to a DIMM
>> or a socket.
>>
>> That is all.
>>

>> Stew

Pat Conover

Chris, Will do later today and post back. Got the slot 0 and 1 mixed with
slot 1 and 2. I wasn't sure if it would work in either slot. I was going
to call Dell for a new Dimm, but at $20 for a 256 on Crucial, I might just
get another 512 and max it out for about $60. Thanks, Pat

"Christopher Muto" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> refering to the two memory sockets on the motherboard as slot 0 and slot
> 1...
> you may use a single stick of ram in your system and it may be installed
> in either slot 0 or slot 1.
> so, if you know the 512mb stick works then try it in the other slot to
> determine if the socket is ok.
> then remove the 512mb and do the same two tests with the 256mb stick
> only.
> it would be interesting to know what you find out.
>
> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> Thanks for the replies. I did swap the 512 and 256 in slot 1. The 512
>> works, the 256 OEM does not. I don't have another stick of ram here now
>> to test the second slot, but it appears the 256 OEM stick is bad. I am
>> hoping the second slot is okay and wasn't damaged somehow. But, that
>> will have to wait until I get another stick to test it. Merry Christmas,
>> Pat
>>
>> "S.Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:6SMlf.9073$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> Try the sticks individually in each socket. Problem will point to a DIMM
>>> or a socket.
>>>
>>> That is all.
>>>

>>> Stew

Christopher Muto

or spend $0 and leave it with just 512mb

1/2, 0/1 are just different nomenclature for the same thing... i just
thought the thread was getting confusing so wanted to be as clear as
possible..

"Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Chris, Will do later today and post back. Got the slot 0 and 1 mixed with
> slot 1 and 2. I wasn't sure if it would work in either slot. I was going
> to call Dell for a new Dimm, but at $20 for a 256 on Crucial, I might just
> get another 512 and max it out for about $60. Thanks, Pat
>
> "Christopher Muto" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> refering to the two memory sockets on the motherboard as slot 0 and slot
>> 1...
>> you may use a single stick of ram in your system and it may be installed
>> in either slot 0 or slot 1.
>> so, if you know the 512mb stick works then try it in the other slot to
>> determine if the socket is ok.
>> then remove the 512mb and do the same two tests with the 256mb stick
>> only.
>> it would be interesting to know what you find out.
>>
>> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Thanks for the replies. I did swap the 512 and 256 in slot 1. The 512
>>> works, the 256 OEM does not. I don't have another stick of ram here now
>>> to test the second slot, but it appears the 256 OEM stick is bad. I am
>>> hoping the second slot is okay and wasn't damaged somehow. But, that
>>> will have to wait until I get another stick to test it. Merry
>>> Christmas, Pat
>>>
>>> "S.Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:6SMlf.9073$(E-Mail Removed)...

S.Lewis

"Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Chris, Will do later today and post back. Got the slot 0 and 1 mixed with
> slot 1 and 2. I wasn't sure if it would work in either slot. I was going
> to call Dell for a new Dimm, but at $20 for a 256 on Crucial, I might just
> get another 512 and max it out for about $60. Thanks, Pat

Referencing Chris' comments, I wouldn't buy anything until I could prove the
good DIMM works in *both* sockets. If a socket is bad, then a new DIMM will
simply be money wasted........

Stew

Tom Scales

"S.Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:un2mf.19471$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> Chris, Will do later today and post back. Got the slot 0 and 1 mixed
>> with slot 1 and 2. I wasn't sure if it would work in either slot. I was
>> going to call Dell for a new Dimm, but at $20 for a 256 on Crucial, I
>> might just get another 512 and max it out for about $60. Thanks, Pat
>>

> Referencing Chris' comments, I wouldn't buy anything until I could prove
> the good DIMM works in *both* sockets. If a socket is bad, then a new
> DIMM will simply be money wasted........
>

> Stew

I have to say though that for the average user, 512mb is enough.

Dell Dimension 4550 Case? Chad Dell 4 06-05-2010 12:16 AM
Update Dimension 4550 Bad Memory or Motherboard? Pat Conover Dell 6 12-29-2005 01:19 AM
Dell Dimension 4550 Memory Problems? Gary Kaucher PC Hardware 4 01-24-2005 09:42 PM
Re: Missing TIP features in SP2 - BAD, BAD, BAD Chris H. Tablet PC 10 09-10-2004 07:45 AM
New Dell Dimension 4600/4550 Wallpaper Luis A. Rodríguez Dell 2 06-30-2003 11:03 PM