Dimension 8100 Parts Available

Ben Myers

Some time ago, I saw a message posted here by someone looking for a
Dimension 8100 power supply, a custom affair, not your standard garden
variety ATX or ATX12v power supply.

Today, a Dimension 8100 showed up here, claimed to be in working order.

I do not think anyone would be interested in paying for shipping of a
whole Dimension 8100 at this late date. I have not tested the system
here myself, but if there is interest in various parts and attachments,
I can do so.

Items of interest might be:
power supply
motherboard
rear cooling fan
other?

Let me know if you are interested in any of the parts. You have to pay
exact cost shipping plus a few bucks for my time.

Also, these parts all interchange with the Precision 330 and the
Optiplex GX400. Different external appearance, but same layout and form
factors inside.

If nobody is interested by the time the new year arrives, the system
will be torn down completely for electronic scrap... Ben Myers

lgreenwood@srt.com

On Dec 22, 2:19*pm, Ben Myers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Some time ago, I saw a message posted here by someone looking for a
> Dimension 8100 power supply, a custom affair, not your standard garden
> variety ATX or ATX12v power supply.
>
> Today, a Dimension 8100 showed up here, claimed to be in working order.
>
> I do not think anyone would be interested in paying for shipping of a
> whole Dimension 8100 at this late date. *I have not tested the system
> here myself, but if there is interest in various parts and attachments,
> I can do so.
>
> Items of interest might be:
> power supply
> motherboard
> rear cooling fan
> other?
>
> Let me know if you are interested in any of the parts. *You have to pay
> exact cost shipping plus a few bucks for my time.
>
> Also, these parts all interchange with the Precision 330 and the
> Optiplex GX400. *Different external appearance, but same layout and form
> factors inside.
>
> If nobody is interested by the time the new year arrives, the system
> will be torn down completely for electronic scrap... Ben Myers

What is the operating system? Larry

Ben Myers

> On Dec 22, 2:19 pm, Ben Myers<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Some time ago, I saw a message posted here by someone looking for a
>> Dimension 8100 power supply, a custom affair, not your standard garden
>> variety ATX or ATX12v power supply.
>>
>> Today, a Dimension 8100 showed up here, claimed to be in working order.
>>
>> I do not think anyone would be interested in paying for shipping of a
>> whole Dimension 8100 at this late date. I have not tested the system
>> here myself, but if there is interest in various parts and attachments,
>> I can do so.
>>
>> Items of interest might be:
>> power supply
>> motherboard
>> rear cooling fan
>> other?
>>
>> Let me know if you are interested in any of the parts. You have to pay
>> exact cost shipping plus a few bucks for my time.
>>
>> Also, these parts all interchange with the Precision 330 and the
>> Optiplex GX400. Different external appearance, but same layout and form
>> factors inside.
>>
>> If nobody is interested by the time the new year arrives, the system
>> will be torn down completely for electronic scrap... Ben Myers

> What is the operating system? Larry

The system has 2x256MB 800-45 RAMBUS memory. Beyond that, I do not
know, because I have not fired it up yet. It has no hard drive and it
has a Windows 2000 sticker on the side. Overall, I'd say that the
physical condition of the chassis is very good... Ben

Ben Myers

On 12/23/2010 9:47 AM, Christopher Muto wrote:
> On 12/23/2010 1:26 AM, Ben Myers wrote:

>>> What is the operating system? Larry

>> The system has 2x256MB 800-45 RAMBUS memory. Beyond that, I do not know,
>> because I have not fired it up yet. It has no hard drive and it has a
>> Windows 2000 sticker on the side. Overall, I'd say that the physical
>> condition of the chassis is very good... Ben

> since it does not have a hard drive i think it is pretty safe to assume
> that it does not have an operating system

You're sure about that? I wasn't! Happy holidays! ... Ben

lgreenwood@srt.com

On Dec 22, 11:26*pm, Ben Myers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 12/22/2010 8:21 PM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

> > On Dec 22, 2:19 pm, Ben Myers<(E-Mail Removed)> *wrote:
> >> Some time ago, I saw a message posted here by someone looking for a
> >> Dimension 8100 power supply, a custom affair, not your standard garden
> >> variety ATX or ATX12v power supply.

> >> Today, a Dimension 8100 showed up here, claimed to be in working order..

> >> I do not think anyone would be interested in paying for shipping of a
> >> whole Dimension 8100 at this late date. *I have not tested the system
> >> here myself, but if there is interest in various parts and attachments,
> >> I can do so.

> >> Items of interest might be:
> >> power supply
> >> motherboard
> >> rear cooling fan
> >> other?

> >> Let me know if you are interested in any of the parts. *You have to pay
> >> exact cost shipping plus a few bucks for my time.

> >> Also, these parts all interchange with the Precision 330 and the
> >> Optiplex GX400. *Different external appearance, but same layout and form
> >> factors inside.

> >> If nobody is interested by the time the new year arrives, the system
> >> will be torn down completely for electronic scrap... Ben Myers

> > What is the operating system? * Larry

> The system has 2x256MB 800-45 RAMBUS memory. *Beyond that, I do not
> know, because I have not fired it up yet. *It has no hard drive and it
> has a Windows 2000 sticker on the side. *Overall, I'd say that the
> physical condition of the chassis is very good... Ben

I am looking for a win98 system...

Ben Myers

> On Dec 22, 11:26 pm, Ben Myers<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> What is the operating system? Larry

>> The system has 2x256MB 800-45 RAMBUS memory. Beyond that, I do not
>> know, because I have not fired it up yet. It has no hard drive and it
>> has a Windows 2000 sticker on the side. Overall, I'd say that the
>> physical condition of the chassis is very good... Ben

> I am looking for a win98 system...

Well, if you live not too far from ZIP 01451, I can scare up a 40-60GB
hard drive and a legit Windows 98 license. Cash and carry with the
emphasis on carry. As in "You carry". The damned thing is heavy. Not
much cash and a lot of carry. Win 98 drivers should be no problem for a
Dimension 8100 as Intel and friends stopped producing Win 98 drivers
with the much later 845 chipset. (Two or three years ago, my most
trailing edge client needed yet another Windows 98 system to go with his
Windows NT 4.0 server. I obliged by setting up a Dimension 2400 with
all the necessary drivers. It ran not like a Swiss watch, but more like
one of those cheap watches you get from street vendors in major cities
of the world. Yes, Windows 98 was that good. We all forget!) ... Ben
Myers

lgreenwood@srt.com

On Dec 24, 10:05*am, Ben Myers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 12/23/2010 10:30 PM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> >> The system has 2x256MB 800-45 RAMBUS memory. *Beyond that, I do not
> >> know, because I have not fired it up yet. *It has no hard drive and it
> >> has a Windows 2000 sticker on the side. *Overall, I'd say that the
> >> physical condition of the chassis is very good... Ben

> > I am looking for a win98 system...

> Well, if you live not too far from ZIP 01451, I can scare up a 40-60GB
> hard drive and a legit Windows 98 license. *Cash and carry with the
> emphasis on carry. *As in "You carry". *The damned thing is heavy. *Not
> much cash and a lot of carry. *Win 98 drivers should be no problem for a
> Dimension 8100 as Intel and friends stopped producing Win 98 drivers
> with the much later 845 chipset. *(Two or three years ago, my most
> trailing edge client needed yet another Windows 98 system to go with his
> Windows NT 4.0 server. *I obliged by setting up a Dimension 2400 with
> all the necessary drivers. *It ran not like a Swiss watch, but more like
> one of those cheap watches you get from street vendors in major cities
> of the world. *Yes, Windows 98 was that good. *We all forget!) *...Ben
> Myers

I am at 81101, Alamosa CO...Larry

Moldy Cheese

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 19:30:54 -0800 (PST), "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Dec 22, 11:26*pm, Ben Myers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > What is the operating system? * Larry

>> The system has 2x256MB 800-45 RAMBUS memory. *Beyond that, I do not
>> know, because I have not fired it up yet. *It has no hard drive and it
>> has a Windows 2000 sticker on the side. *Overall, I'd say that the
>> physical condition of the chassis is very good... Ben

>I am looking for a win98 system...

Why?

Ben Myers

> On Dec 24, 10:05 am, Ben Myers<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> I am looking for a win98 system...

>> Well, if you live not too far from ZIP 01451, I can scare up a 40-60GB
>> hard drive and a legit Windows 98 license. Cash and carry with the
>> emphasis on carry. As in "You carry". The damned thing is heavy. Not
>> much cash and a lot of carry. Win 98 drivers should be no problem for a
>> Dimension 8100 as Intel and friends stopped producing Win 98 drivers
>> with the much later 845 chipset. (Two or three years ago, my most
>> trailing edge client needed yet another Windows 98 system to go with his
>> Windows NT 4.0 server. I obliged by setting up a Dimension 2400 with
>> all the necessary drivers. It ran not like a Swiss watch, but more like
>> one of those cheap watches you get from street vendors in major cities
>> of the world. Yes, Windows 98 was that good. We all forget!) ... Ben
>> Myers

> I am at 81101, Alamosa CO...Larry

Cost of shipping there would be more than the system is worth. UPS has
really jacked up its ground shipping rates for one-off shipments,
compared to the high volume shippers... Ben

Ben Myers

On 12/24/2010 2:33 PM, Moldy Cheese wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 19:30:54 -0800 (PST), "(E-Mail Removed)"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> The system has 2x256MB 800-45 RAMBUS memory. Beyond that, I do not
>>> know, because I have not fired it up yet. It has no hard drive and it
>>> has a Windows 2000 sticker on the side. Overall, I'd say that the
>>> physical condition of the chassis is very good... Ben

>> I am looking for a win98 system...

> Why?

Some people like to collect curiousities. I know people who collect old
Packard Bell systems, striving to have one of a kind of everything.
Whatever floats your boat. He could be looking for a Windows ME system.
ME was the worst Microsoft operating system until Vista came along...
Ben Myers