Dimension 8300 Ram and win 7

mc

I have had some window freeze ups in the last 2 weeks. I removed 2 1
gig sticks of ram and the op sys stopped freezing up.
I did also replace the 250 watt power supply which was getting pretty
warm. I ran 'ramtest' on 2 sticks at a time and no errors were noted.
I noticed however that if I put 1 stick of ram in slot 1 and 1 stick
in slot 3 the op sys functioned pretty quick (seemed odd).
What is a good diagnostic tool that I can burn to a cd to test things,
especially the MB?
mc

Ben Myers

On 11/27/2010 9:52 AM, mc wrote:
> I have had some window freeze ups in the last 2 weeks. I removed 2 1
> gig sticks of ram and the op sys stopped freezing up.
> I did also replace the 250 watt power supply which was getting pretty
> warm. I ran 'ramtest' on 2 sticks at a time and no errors were noted.
> I noticed however that if I put 1 stick of ram in slot 1 and 1 stick
> in slot 3 the op sys functioned pretty quick (seemed odd).
> What is a good diagnostic tool that I can burn to a cd to test things,
> especially the MB?
> mc

Use MEMTEST-86 or MEMTEST-86+ for memory testing and, indirectly, some
motherboard testing... Ben Myers

mc

On Nov 27, 6:14*pm, Ben Myers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 11/27/2010 9:52 AM, mc wrote:
>
> > I have had some window freeze ups in the last 2 weeks. I removed 2 1
> > gig sticks of ram and the op sys stopped freezing up.
> > * I did also replace the 250 watt power supply which was getting pretty
> > warm. I ran 'ramtest' on 2 sticks at a time and no errors were noted.
> > I noticed however that if I put 1 stick of ram in slot 1 and 1 stick
> > in slot 3 the op sys functioned pretty quick (seemed odd).
> > What is a good diagnostic tool that I can burn to a cd to test things,
> > especially the MB?
> > mc

> Use MEMTEST-86 or MEMTEST-86+ for memory testing and, indirectly, some
> motherboard testing... Ben Myers

Well I ram memtest thru 3 passes which took 4 hours with no problems.
I ran WD diagnostic for the HD, again no problems. I even changed the
HD to the original XP home op sys but it also freezes up with a ram
stick in slot 4. I guess I need to go back to the original 2.8 cpu and
see if the cpu is bad or the MB, or maybe this board just doesn't like
4 gigs of ram??
mc

Bob Levine

On 11/30/2010 12:23 PM, mc wrote:
> On Nov 27, 6:14 pm, Ben Myers<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 11/27/2010 9:52 AM, mc wrote:
>>
>>> I have had some window freeze ups in the last 2 weeks. I removed 2 1
>>> gig sticks of ram and the op sys stopped freezing up.
>>> I did also replace the 250 watt power supply which was getting pretty
>>> warm. I ran 'ramtest' on 2 sticks at a time and no errors were noted.
>>> I noticed however that if I put 1 stick of ram in slot 1 and 1 stick
>>> in slot 3 the op sys functioned pretty quick (seemed odd).
>>> What is a good diagnostic tool that I can burn to a cd to test things,
>>> especially the MB?
>>> mc

>> Use MEMTEST-86 or MEMTEST-86+ for memory testing and, indirectly, some
>> motherboard testing... Ben Myers

> Well I ram memtest thru 3 passes which took 4 hours with no problems.
> I ran WD diagnostic for the HD, again no problems. I even changed the
> HD to the original XP home op sys but it also freezes up with a ram
> stick in slot 4. I guess I need to go back to the original 2.8 cpu and
> see if the cpu is bad or the MB, or maybe this board just doesn't like
> 4 gigs of ram??
> mc

Is there a BIOS update?

Bob

mc

On Nov 30, 1:27*pm, Bob Levine <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 11/30/2010 12:23 PM, mc wrote:

> >> Use MEMTEST-86 or MEMTEST-86+ for memory testing and, indirectly, some
> >> motherboard testing... Ben Myers

> > Well I ram memtest thru 3 passes which took 4 hours with no problems.
> > I ran WD diagnostic for the HD, again no problems. I even changed the
> > HD to the original XP home op sys but it also freezes up with a ram
> > stick in slot 4. I guess I need to go back to the original 2.8 cpu and
> > see if the cpu is bad or the MB, or maybe this board just doesn't like
> > 4 gigs of ram??
> > mc

> Is there a BIOS update?
>
> Bob- Hide quoted text -

The bios has the latest update.....I'm hoping it is just the cpu and
not the board
mc

Ben Myers

On 11/30/2010 5:14 PM, mc wrote:
> On Nov 30, 1:27 pm, Bob Levine<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Well I ram memtest thru 3 passes which took 4 hours with no problems.
>>> I ran WD diagnostic for the HD, again no problems. I even changed the
>>> HD to the original XP home op sys but it also freezes up with a ram
>>> stick in slot 4. I guess I need to go back to the original 2.8 cpu and
>>> see if the cpu is bad or the MB, or maybe this board just doesn't like
>>> 4 gigs of ram??
>>> mc

>> Is there a BIOS update?
>>
>> Bob- Hide quoted text -

> The bios has the latest update.....I'm hoping it is just the cpu and
> not the board
> mc

If I remember my Intel chips well, the Socket 478 CPUs are not capable
of running 64-bit instructions (operating systems, etc), but that does
not explain why the system locks up with XP Home.

You want a good overall system diagnostic? Download and burn a "live"
Linux distro. Personally, I favor Ubuntu, because it also has a great
little program for examining the state of a laptop battery. With the
laptops I have been tearing down and parting out, or even selling whole,
Live Ubuntu is a great overall hardware test. If it boots up, makes
noise, and accesses the internet, the hardware is at least in decent
condition. Ubuntu also has some explicit hardware diagnostic programs,
too... Ben Myers

mc

On Nov 30, 9:54*pm, Ben Myers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 11/30/2010 5:14 PM, mc wrote:

> >> Is there a BIOS update?

> >> Bob- Hide quoted text -

> > The bios has the latest update.....I'm hoping it is just the cpu and
> > not the board
> > mc

> If I remember my Intel chips well, the Socket 478 CPUs are not capable
> of running 64-bit instructions (operating systems, etc), but that does
> not explain why the system locks up with XP Home.
>
> You want a good overall system diagnostic? *Download and burn a "live"
> Linux distro. *Personally, I favor Ubuntu, because it also has a great
> little program for examining the state of a laptop battery. *With the
> laptops I have been tearing down and parting out, or even selling whole,
> Live Ubuntu is a great overall hardware test. *If it boots up, *makes
> noise, and accesses the internet, the hardware is at least in decent
> condition. *Ubuntu also has some explicit hardware diagnostic programs,
> too... Ben Myers- Hide quoted text -

Ben could you point me to a web site download, your dealing with an
amateur here...
mc

Ben Myers

Google for Ubuntu... Ben Myers