Dimension 8300 Very Slow Cold Boot

Marjorie Cunningham

I have a two-year old Dimension 8300, P2.8, 1 GB RAM, 120G hard drive with
91 GB free space. I turn off my computer each night and turn it on in the
morning. For the last month or so, the computer has a very slow cold boot
time in the morning, from 10 to 20 minutes from the time I turn on the power
button to get to my Desktop, but it seems to boot properly during the day if
I turn it off and on again. Once it starts, the computer works normally,
seems just as speedy as always, no grinding noises or evidence that the hard
disk is failing.

I have done a Disk Cleanup and Defrag, used Ad-Aware and SpyBot, emptied all
the temp files, checked the Startup files for any anomalies (none that I can
see), downloaded new drivers for my sound and video cards, and have checked
the Event Viewer for errors (always one saying "hpdj service could not be
started," a reference, I assume, to my HP printers). I use a cable modem
with anti-virus and a firewall that are automatically updated, no viruses.
I have downloaded and installed all of Microsoft's updates. Yesterday I
installed Dell's Dell Support program and it finds no errors. I have
searched the Internet until I am blue in the face and am not finding a
solution.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what can be causing this? Can anyone
offer any help?

Thank you very much.

Marjie

Christopher Muto

obviously this condition is not normal.
what is the mahcine doing for the 10-20mins between when you power it on to
when it finally starts windows?
do you perhaps see the system trying to check the disk?
the fact that you get that hpdj error sounds like you have malware on the
machine... vist this site and do their free spyware search and removal...
it finds things that adaware and spybot don't.
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

"Marjorie Cunningham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7mQcf.3418$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a two-year old Dimension 8300, P2.8, 1 GB RAM, 120G hard drive with
>91 GB free space. I turn off my computer each night and turn it on in the
>morning. For the last month or so, the computer has a very slow cold boot
>time in the morning, from 10 to 20 minutes from the time I turn on the
>power button to get to my Desktop, but it seems to boot properly during the
>day if I turn it off and on again. Once it starts, the computer works
>normally, seems just as speedy as always, no grinding noises or evidence
>that the hard disk is failing.
>
> I have done a Disk Cleanup and Defrag, used Ad-Aware and SpyBot, emptied
> all the temp files, checked the Startup files for any anomalies (none that
> I can see), downloaded new drivers for my sound and video cards, and have
> checked the Event Viewer for errors (always one saying "hpdj service could
> not be started," a reference, I assume, to my HP printers). I use a cable
> modem with anti-virus and a firewall that are automatically updated, no
> viruses. I have downloaded and installed all of Microsoft's updates.
> Yesterday I installed Dell's Dell Support program and it finds no errors.
> I have searched the Internet until I am blue in the face and am not
> finding a solution.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion as to what can be causing this? Can anyone
> offer any help?
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Marjie

Jay B

try posting to us your processes that are running and lets see what you
have growing in there... it should never take that long unless you have
a scan running or spyware.

Christopher Muto wrote:
> obviously this condition is not normal.
> what is the mahcine doing for the 10-20mins between when you power it on to
> when it finally starts windows?
> do you perhaps see the system trying to check the disk?
> the fact that you get that hpdj error sounds like you have malware on the
> machine... vist this site and do their free spyware search and removal...
> it finds things that adaware and spybot don't.
> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
>
> "Marjorie Cunningham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:7mQcf.3418$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I have a two-year old Dimension 8300, P2.8, 1 GB RAM, 120G hard drive with
>>91 GB free space. I turn off my computer each night and turn it on in the
>>morning. For the last month or so, the computer has a very slow cold boot
>>time in the morning, from 10 to 20 minutes from the time I turn on the
>>power button to get to my Desktop, but it seems to boot properly during the
>>day if I turn it off and on again. Once it starts, the computer works
>>normally, seems just as speedy as always, no grinding noises or evidence
>>that the hard disk is failing.
>>
>>I have done a Disk Cleanup and Defrag, used Ad-Aware and SpyBot, emptied
>>all the temp files, checked the Startup files for any anomalies (none that
>>I can see), downloaded new drivers for my sound and video cards, and have
>>checked the Event Viewer for errors (always one saying "hpdj service could
>>not be started," a reference, I assume, to my HP printers). I use a cable
>>modem with anti-virus and a firewall that are automatically updated, no
>>viruses. I have downloaded and installed all of Microsoft's updates.
>>Yesterday I installed Dell's Dell Support program and it finds no errors.
>>I have searched the Internet until I am blue in the face and am not
>>finding a solution.
>>
>>Does anyone have a suggestion as to what can be causing this? Can anyone
>>offer any help?
>>
>>Thank you very much.
>>
>>Marjie

Robert McMillan

I have personally had a computer (not a Dell) that had problems similar to
this. Taking hours to start up etc. I tried reformating computer and no
success, ran harddrive checks with no errors etc. Ended up returning the
computer and it was found that the motherboard was faulty. Thsi may be the
problem if you have tried cleaning up your windows configuration without
success.

Regards
Robert McMillan

"Marjorie Cunningham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7mQcf.3418$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a two-year old Dimension 8300, P2.8, 1 GB RAM, 120G hard drive with
>91 GB free space. I turn off my computer each night and turn it on in the
>morning. For the last month or so, the computer has a very slow cold boot
>time in the morning, from 10 to 20 minutes from the time I turn on the
>power button to get to my Desktop, but it seems to boot properly during the
>day if I turn it off and on again. Once it starts, the computer works
>normally, seems just as speedy as always, no grinding noises or evidence
>that the hard disk is failing.
>
> I have done a Disk Cleanup and Defrag, used Ad-Aware and SpyBot, emptied
> all the temp files, checked the Startup files for any anomalies (none that
> I can see), downloaded new drivers for my sound and video cards, and have
> checked the Event Viewer for errors (always one saying "hpdj service could
> not be started," a reference, I assume, to my HP printers). I use a cable
> modem with anti-virus and a firewall that are automatically updated, no
> viruses. I have downloaded and installed all of Microsoft's updates.
> Yesterday I installed Dell's Dell Support program and it finds no errors.
> I have searched the Internet until I am blue in the face and am not
> finding a solution.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion as to what can be causing this? Can anyone
> offer any help?
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Marjie

S.Lewis

"Christopher Muto" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> obviously this condition is not normal.
> what is the mahcine doing for the 10-20mins between when you power it on
> to when it finally starts windows?
> do you perhaps see the system trying to check the disk?

<snip>

....or is the screen stuck at either the Dell splash screen or Windows XP
splash screen?

Stew

Marjorie Cunningham

Thank you all for your suggestions. I did forget to mention that I ran a
virus scan and have no viruses, and I also ran a CHKDSK which produced the
statement that "System has recovered from a serious error." Whatever it was
didn't seem to make a big difference in the boot time.

In experimenting with the startup, when I turned off the computer and turned
it back on within a couple minutes, it booted in 1 minute, 10 seconds. Then
I shutdown and left it off for about 15 minutes while I blew out some dust
bunnies inside (it was not very dirty) and the boot time was 5 minutes, 10
seconds.

If this is a motherboard problem, I know Dell isn't going to step up on a
two-year-old expensive computer, and I really don't have a lot of money
right now. If I just leave the computer on and not shut if off, what's
going to happen? Will the motherboard blow up?? (Yikes!) As I mentioned,
so far I haven't seen a degraded service, other than the cold boot time.

Thanks again for help.

Marjie

Christopher Muto

it is still unclear to me what is happening during this long delay during
startup... if the screen is simply blank then this seems like a registry
problem or a hard disk problem, not a motherboard problem. the disk may
have experienced a physical problem that was minor but resulted in
corrupting the windows system registry file. alternatively, it may be a
problem with a usb device (or two or three...) that is connected to your
system. try disconnecting all peripherals and see if the problem goes away.
and/or if you can remember a time when the system last worked normaly then i
suggest that your do a system restore to a data prior to that time. you do
this by clicking start-allprograms-accessories-systemtools-systemrestore.
this does not cause you to loose any data but if you have installed any
programs since that earlier date then they will need to be restored. also
you may find that your antivirus program needs to be reinstalled after doing
a system restore (but it may also work just fine), so check it by doing a
update. other than disk problems, or usb device problems, hardware problems
are really pretty rare. if the system restore or removal of usb devices
doesn't help to solve your problem then the next thing to do is to test the
hard disk using diagnostics and if it passes then to a windows
recover/reinstall...

"Marjorie Cunningham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ey2df.2811$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you all for your suggestions. I did forget to mention that I ran a
> virus scan and have no viruses, and I also ran a CHKDSK which produced the
> statement that "System has recovered from a serious error." Whatever it
> was didn't seem to make a big difference in the boot time.
>
> In experimenting with the startup, when I turned off the computer and
> turned it back on within a couple minutes, it booted in 1 minute, 10
> seconds. Then I shutdown and left it off for about 15 minutes while I
> blew out some dust bunnies inside (it was not very dirty) and the boot
> time was 5 minutes, 10 seconds.
>
> If this is a motherboard problem, I know Dell isn't going to step up on a
> two-year-old expensive computer, and I really don't have a lot of money
> right now. If I just leave the computer on and not shut if off, what's
> going to happen? Will the motherboard blow up?? (Yikes!) As I
> mentioned, so far I haven't seen a degraded service, other than the cold
> boot time.
>
> Thanks again for help.
>
> Marjie

Marjorie Cunningham

I thought I would tell you how I have solved the problem, or at least it
appears to have been solved. I finally talked to Dell Chat and after
explaining all of the steps I'd taken, the tech suggested I reinstall
Windows XP, plus run a Diagnostic Test on the hard drive (F12 key on Dell
screen at bootup). I decided to do the diagnostic test first. (BTW, it
took over five hours, just a warning!) It came up with FAIL on the Read
Test (all other tests passed) because of two errors: Error Code 0F00:0244
Msg. Blocks 5843157-8 Unconnectable data error or media is write protected.
I immediately Googled this error and found every comment indicated that the
hard disk was dying when you received this message. Whoa! This computer is
only two years old and I would be devastated!

I went back to Dell Chat, described the error, and the tech assured me that
this message does NOT mean the hard disk is dying. To resolve my slow
startup, he said I would have to reinstall Windows XP and gave directions.
I decided to check the Microsoft database and it said that before
reinstalling to repair XP, you should go Start, Run and type sfc /scannow
(space between "c" and "/") and click OK. When I did this, it asked for the
XP disk and apparently repaired some .DLLs.

This seems to have worked because I am now booting up within one minute! If
this solution doesn't prove to be permanent, I will reinstall Windows XP,
but I thought y'all would like to know that so far it seems to have solved
the slow boot.

Thanks for all the suggestions, believe me, I used them all!

Marjie

"Marjorie Cunningham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7mQcf.3418$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a two-year old Dimension 8300, P2.8, 1 GB RAM, 120G hard drive with
>91 GB free space. I turn off my computer each night and turn it on in the
>morning. For the last month or so, the computer has a very slow cold boot
>time in the morning, from 10 to 20 minutes from the time I turn on the
>power button to get to my Desktop, but it seems to boot properly during the
>day if I turn it off and on again. Once it starts, the computer works
>normally, seems just as speedy as always, no grinding noises or evidence
>that the hard disk is failing.
>
> I have done a Disk Cleanup and Defrag, used Ad-Aware and SpyBot, emptied
> all the temp files, checked the Startup files for any anomalies (none that
> I can see), downloaded new drivers for my sound and video cards, and have
> checked the Event Viewer for errors (always one saying "hpdj service could
> not be started," a reference, I assume, to my HP printers). I use a cable
> modem with anti-virus and a firewall that are automatically updated, no
> viruses. I have downloaded and installed all of Microsoft's updates.
> Yesterday I installed Dell's Dell Support program and it finds no errors.
> I have searched the Internet until I am blue in the face and am not
> finding a solution.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion as to what can be causing this? Can anyone
> offer any help?
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Marjie

Tom Scales

Marjorie,

Don't believe Dell. The hard drive likely is dying. It happens. If
nothing else, backup everything!

Personally, I'd spend $40 on a new hard drive and reinstall everything and
throw away the current hard drive.

Tom
"Marjorie Cunningham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:nAnff.29164$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>>normally, seems just as speedy as always, no grinding noises or evidence
>>that the hard disk is failing.
>>
>> I have done a Disk Cleanup and Defrag, used Ad-Aware and SpyBot, emptied
>> all the temp files, checked the Startup files for any anomalies (none
>> that I can see), downloaded new drivers for my sound and video cards, and
>> have checked the Event Viewer for errors (always one saying "hpdj service
>> could not be started," a reference, I assume, to my HP printers). I use
>> a cable modem with anti-virus and a firewall that are automatically
>> updated, no viruses. I have downloaded and installed all of Microsoft's
>> updates. Yesterday I installed Dell's Dell Support program and it finds
>> no errors. I have searched the Internet until I am blue in the face and
>> am not finding a solution.
>>
>> Does anyone have a suggestion as to what can be causing this? Can anyone

Jay B

I agree with Tom.
The error on the drive is real.
all the SFC procedure did was restore some corrupted files. there are
bad spots on your hard drive that you will surely stumble into again.
It's a ticking tomb bomb!
get a new drive that has a 3 or 5 year warranty.
dell will only send you a refurb maxtor. sell the one they give you on
ebay.