Dimension 8400 to Inspiron 530

Bruce Varney

My faithful dimension 8400 eventually bit the dust, power supply went west
taking the motherboard with it. Bit of luck I never paid out for a 3.6 Ghz
CPU I was tempted to buy! I will be picking up a Inspiron 530 at the
weeekend fairly cheap and I will be loading Win 7 Pro on it. The hard
drive from the Dim 8400 also has Win 7 Pro loaded on it. I want to install
the Dim 8400 drive as a second drive in the Inspiron 530 so I can transfer
the important files over from it to the main drive. How difficult will it
be for me to transfer all my profiles and personal files and where do I look
for those files for MS Outlook and the 3 profiles that I have set up on
outlook as well as those other secretly hidden but important files that are
needed.

To get me back on line for the time being I have dusted down my old Dim 8300
running Win XP SP3 . I know I can transfer files from this to a Win 7 PC
but will it be best to transfer these files before or after the transfer
from the Dim 8400 drive.

One thing I will do before starting out on this exercise is to make a clone
of the Dim 8400 drive in case of unforseen problems arising. I can do this
using the XP PC.

Any help & pointers will be much appreciated.

Bruce

Ben Myers

On Mar 10, 6:20*pm, "Bruce Varney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> My faithful dimension 8400 eventually bit the dust, power supply went west
> taking the motherboard with it. * Bit of luck I never paid out for a 3.6 Ghz
> CPU I was tempted to buy! * I will be picking up a Inspiron 530 at the
> weeekend fairly cheap and I will be loading Win 7 Pro on it. * The hard
> drive from the Dim 8400 also has Win 7 Pro loaded on it. * I want to install
> the Dim 8400 drive as a second drive in the Inspiron 530 so I can transfer
> the important files over from it to the main drive. * How difficult will it
> be for me to transfer all my profiles and personal files and where do I look
> for those files for MS Outlook and the 3 profiles that I have set up on
> outlook as well as those other secretly hidden but important files that are
> needed.
>
> To get me back on line for the time being I have dusted down my old Dim 8300
> running Win XP SP3 . * I know I can transfer files from this to a Win 7PC
> but will it be best to transfer these files before or after the transfer
> from the Dim 8400 drive.
>
> One thing I will do before starting out on this exercise is to make a clone
> of the Dim 8400 drive in case of unforseen problems arising. * I can dothis
> using the XP PC.
>
> Any help & pointers will be much appreciated.
>
> Bruce

And nobody has responded in a month.

Here is a quick and dirty how-to.

First, you may have to add to the file system permissions on the 8400
drive to allow you to get everything you need from it. Best way is to
let EVERYONE read the entire drive.
Next, the My Documents files are a no brainer to find and copy. Just
drag the entire My Documents folder to the drive on the new computer.
IE Favorites are easy to find and copy. Search for Favorites. What
else could it be. Then copy.
Outlook is a pain in the ass, because Microsoft stupidly buries the
Outlook files down in the bowels of the file system. Search for
Outlook.PST and copy to the right place on the new PC's hard drive,
and it will replace the Outlook.PST automatically created when you set
up an account on the new computer. DO NOT read any email before
copying Outlook.PST !!
Not sure what other files you need, because I do not know what other
apps you use.

It makes little difference whether you copy files first from the 8300
or the 8400, unless files have the same name.

Finally, in which state, province, canton, department, county or
prefecture are you located? If you are near Boston, I could use an
empty 8400 chassis, which would then be filled with working parts...
Ben Myers

Bruce Varney

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]

else could it be. Then copy.
Outlook is a pain in the ass, because Microsoft stupidly buries the
Outlook files down in the bowels of the file system. Search for
Outlook.PST and copy to the right place on the new PC's hard drive,
and it will replace the Outlook.PST automatically created when you set
up an account on the new computer. DO NOT read any email before
copying Outlook.PST !!
Not sure what other files you need, because I do not know what other
apps you use.

It makes little difference whether you copy files first from the 8300
or the 8400, unless files have the same name.

Finally, in which state, province, canton, department, county or
prefecture are you located? If you are near Boston, I could use an
empty 8400 chassis, which would then be filled with working parts...

Thanks for your reply Ben.

I basically followed your how-to. As you say Outlook files were the pain
to find especially as there are more than one email account. As far as the
apps were concerned I did a reinstall of them.

You are welcome to the 8400 chassis but I live about 80 miles from the other
Boston - the one in the UK!

Bob Villa

On Mar 10, 5:20*pm, "Bruce Varney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> My faithful dimension 8400 eventually bit the dust, power supply went west
> taking the motherboard with it. * Bit of luck I never paid out for a 3.6 Ghz
> CPU I was tempted to buy! * I will be picking up a Inspiron 530 at the
> weeekend fairly cheap and I will be loading Win 7 Pro on it. * The hard
> drive from the Dim 8400 also has Win 7 Pro loaded on it. * I want to install
> the Dim 8400 drive as a second drive in the Inspiron 530 so I can transfer
> the important files over from it to the main drive. * How difficult will it
> be for me to transfer all my profiles and personal files and where do I look
> for those files for MS Outlook and the 3 profiles that I have set up on
> outlook as well as those other secretly hidden but important files that are
> needed.
>
> To get me back on line for the time being I have dusted down my old Dim 8300
> running Win XP SP3 . * I know I can transfer files from this to a Win 7PC
> but will it be best to transfer these files before or after the transfer
> from the Dim 8400 drive.
>
> One thing I will do before starting out on this exercise is to make a clone
> of the Dim 8400 drive in case of unforseen problems arising. * I can dothis
> using the XP PC.
>
> Any help & pointers will be much appreciated.
>
> Bruce

Hey Bruce, I'm not sure about you guys...but we say something "went
South" when it dies. (as in-gets buried). ; )

RnR

On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 03:50:51 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mar 10, 5:20*pm, "Bruce Varney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> My faithful dimension 8400 eventually bit the dust, power supply went west
>> taking the motherboard with it. * Bit of luck I never paid out for a 3.6 Ghz
>> CPU I was tempted to buy! * I will be picking up a Inspiron 530 at the
>> weeekend fairly cheap and I will be loading Win 7 Pro on it. * The hard
>> drive from the Dim 8400 also has Win 7 Pro loaded on it. * I want to install
>> the Dim 8400 drive as a second drive in the Inspiron 530 so I can transfer
>> the important files over from it to the main drive. * How difficult will it
>> be for me to transfer all my profiles and personal files and where do I look
>> for those files for MS Outlook and the 3 profiles that I have set up on
>> outlook as well as those other secretly hidden but important files that are
>> needed.
>>
>> To get me back on line for the time being I have dusted down my old Dim 8300
>> running Win XP SP3 . * I know I can transfer files from this to a Win 7 PC
>> but will it be best to transfer these files before or after the transfer
>> from the Dim 8400 drive.
>>
>> One thing I will do before starting out on this exercise is to make a clone
>> of the Dim 8400 drive in case of unforseen problems arising. * I can do this
>> using the XP PC.
>>
>> Any help & pointers will be much appreciated.
>>
>> Bruce

>Hey Bruce, I'm not sure about you guys...but we say something "went
>South" when it dies. (as in-gets buried). ; )

Bob, I originally lived up north (NYC) and then moved to Texas so I
carry some expressions from the North. I learned from experience that
some expressions like "went south" doesn't go well with southerners.
Seems like common sense but when you are so used to saying things, you
tend to repeat it despite where you go (at least at first) and I
remember how embarrassed I was when I was corrected by a Texan. I
never meant any harm by it but I realize now that I was ignorant then.
I don't know what I say now in it's place but I'm very careful not to
repeat my mistake .

Bob Villa

On Apr 7, 7:28*am, "RnR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 03:50:51 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >On Mar 10, 5:20 pm, "Bruce Varney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> My faithful dimension 8400 eventually bit the dust, power supply went west
> >> taking the motherboard with it. Bit of luck I never paid out for a 3.6Ghz
> >> CPU I was tempted to buy! I will be picking up a Inspiron 530 at the
> >> weeekend fairly cheap and I will be loading Win 7 Pro on it. The hard
> >> drive from the Dim 8400 also has Win 7 Pro loaded on it. I want to install
> >> the Dim 8400 drive as a second drive in the Inspiron 530 so I can transfer
> >> the important files over from it to the main drive. How difficult willit
> >> be for me to transfer all my profiles and personal files and where do I look
> >> for those files for MS Outlook and the 3 profiles that I have set up on
> >> outlook as well as those other secretly hidden but important files that are
> >> needed.

> >> To get me back on line for the time being I have dusted down my old Dim 8300
> >> running Win XP SP3 . I know I can transfer files from this to a Win 7 PC
> >> but will it be best to transfer these files before or after the transfer
> >> from the Dim 8400 drive.

> >> One thing I will do before starting out on this exercise is to make a clone
> >> of the Dim 8400 drive in case of unforseen problems arising. I can do this
> >> using the XP PC.

> >> Any help & pointers will be much appreciated.

> >> Bruce

> >Hey Bruce, I'm not sure about you guys...but we say something "went
> >South" when it dies. (as in-gets buried). ; )

> Bob, I originally lived up north (NYC) and then moved to Texas so I
> carry some expressions from the North. *I learned from experience that
> some expressions like "went south" doesn't go well with southerners.
> Seems like common sense but when you are so used to saying things, you
> tend to repeat it despite where you go (at least at first) and I
> remember how embarrassed I was when I was corrected by a Texan. *I
> never meant any harm by it but I realize now that I was ignorant then.
> I don't know what I say now in it's place but I'm very careful not to
> repeat my mistake *. *

RnR, as I stated, going South means straight-down and buried. Nothing
to do with being derogatory about the South. (As far as I have ever
heard)

Bruce Varney

"Bob Villa" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

On Apr 7, 7:28 am, "RnR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 03:50:51 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >On Mar 10, 5:20 pm, "Bruce Varney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> My faithful dimension 8400 eventually bit the dust, power supply went
> >> west
> >> taking the motherboard with it. Bit of luck I never paid out for a 3.6
> >> Ghz
> >> CPU I was tempted to buy! I will be picking up a Inspiron 530 at the
> >> weeekend fairly cheap and I will be loading Win 7 Pro on it. The hard
> >> drive from the Dim 8400 also has Win 7 Pro loaded on it. I want to
> >> install
> >> the Dim 8400 drive as a second drive in the Inspiron 530 so I can
> >> transfer
> >> the important files over from it to the main drive. How difficult will
> >> it
> >> be for me to transfer all my profiles and personal files and where do I
> >> look
> >> for those files for MS Outlook and the 3 profiles that I have set up on
> >> outlook as well as those other secretly hidden but important files that
> >> are
> >> needed.

> >> To get me back on line for the time being I have dusted down my old Dim
> >> 8300
> >> running Win XP SP3 . I know I can transfer files from this to a Win 7
> >> PC
> >> but will it be best to transfer these files before or after the
> >> transfer
> >> from the Dim 8400 drive.

> >> One thing I will do before starting out on this exercise is to make a
> >> clone
> >> of the Dim 8400 drive in case of unforseen problems arising. I can do
> >> this
> >> using the XP PC.

> >> Any help & pointers will be much appreciated.

> >> Bruce

> >Hey Bruce, I'm not sure about you guys...but we say something "went
> >South" when it dies. (as in-gets buried). ; )

> Bob, I originally lived up north (NYC) and then moved to Texas so I
> carry some expressions from the North. I learned from experience that
> some expressions like "went south" doesn't go well with southerners.
> Seems like common sense but when you are so used to saying things, you
> tend to repeat it despite where you go (at least at first) and I
> remember how embarrassed I was when I was corrected by a Texan. I
> never meant any harm by it but I realize now that I was ignorant then.
> I don't know what I say now in it's place but I'm very careful not to
> repeat my mistake .

RnR, as I stated, going South means straight-down and buried. Nothing
to do with being derogatory about the South. (As far as I have ever
heard)

Still prefer 'Bit the dust'

Bruce

Tony Harding

On 04/07/11 06:50, Bob Villa wrote:
> On Mar 10, 5:20 pm, "Bruce Varney"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> My faithful dimension 8400 eventually bit the dust, power supply went west
>> taking the motherboard with it. Bit of luck I never paid out for a 3.6 Ghz
>> CPU I was tempted to buy! I will be picking up a Inspiron 530 at the
>> weeekend fairly cheap and I will be loading Win 7 Pro on it. The hard
>> drive from the Dim 8400 also has Win 7 Pro loaded on it. I want to install
>> the Dim 8400 drive as a second drive in the Inspiron 530 so I can transfer
>> the important files over from it to the main drive. How difficult will it
>> be for me to transfer all my profiles and personal files and where do I look
>> for those files for MS Outlook and the 3 profiles that I have set up on
>> outlook as well as those other secretly hidden but important files that are
>> needed.
>>
>> To get me back on line for the time being I have dusted down my old Dim 8300
>> running Win XP SP3 . I know I can transfer files from this to a Win 7 PC
>> but will it be best to transfer these files before or after the transfer
>> from the Dim 8400 drive.
>>
>> One thing I will do before starting out on this exercise is to make a clone
>> of the Dim 8400 drive in case of unforseen problems arising. I can do this
>> using the XP PC.
>>
>> Any help& pointers will be much appreciated.
>>
>> Bruce

> Hey Bruce, I'm not sure about you guys...but we say something "went
> South" when it dies. (as in-gets buried). ; )

Q. What's west of the UK [besides water]?

A. The [former] Colonies.

Tony Harding

On 04/07/11 08:28, RnR wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 03:50:51 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Mar 10, 5:20 pm, "Bruce Varney"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> My faithful dimension 8400 eventually bit the dust, power supply went west
>>> taking the motherboard with it. Bit of luck I never paid out for a 3.6 Ghz
>>> CPU I was tempted to buy! I will be picking up a Inspiron 530 at the
>>> weeekend fairly cheap and I will be loading Win 7 Pro on it. The hard
>>> drive from the Dim 8400 also has Win 7 Pro loaded on it. I want to install
>>> the Dim 8400 drive as a second drive in the Inspiron 530 so I can transfer
>>> the important files over from it to the main drive. How difficult will it
>>> be for me to transfer all my profiles and personal files and where do I look
>>> for those files for MS Outlook and the 3 profiles that I have set up on
>>> outlook as well as those other secretly hidden but important files that are
>>> needed.
>>>
>>> To get me back on line for the time being I have dusted down my old Dim 8300
>>> running Win XP SP3 . I know I can transfer files from this to a Win 7 PC
>>> but will it be best to transfer these files before or after the transfer
>>> from the Dim 8400 drive.
>>>
>>> One thing I will do before starting out on this exercise is to make a clone
>>> of the Dim 8400 drive in case of unforseen problems arising. I can do this
>>> using the XP PC.
>>>
>>> Any help& pointers will be much appreciated.
>>>
>>> Bruce

>> Hey Bruce, I'm not sure about you guys...but we say something "went
>> South" when it dies. (as in-gets buried). ; )

> Bob, I originally lived up north (NYC) and then moved to Texas so I
> carry some expressions from the North. I learned from experience that
> some expressions like "went south" doesn't go well with southerners.
> Seems like common sense but when you are so used to saying things, you
> tend to repeat it despite where you go (at least at first) and I
> remember how embarrassed I was when I was corrected by a Texan. I
> never meant any harm by it but I realize now that I was ignorant then.
> I don't know what I say now in it's place but I'm very careful not to
> repeat my mistake .

What's the current, acceptable phrase?

Tony Harding

On 04/07/11 17:23, Bruce Varney wrote:

> "Bob Villa" wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> On Apr 7, 7:28 am, "RnR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 03:50:51 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa
>>

>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> went >> west

>> 3.6 >> Ghz

>> will >> it

>> do I >> look

>> up on

>> that >> are

>> Dim >> 8300

>> 7 >> PC

>> transfer

>> a >> clone

>> do >> this

>> >Hey Bruce, I'm not sure about you guys...but we say something "went
>> >South" when it dies. (as in-gets buried). ; )

>> Bob, I originally lived up north (NYC) and then moved to Texas so I
>> carry some expressions from the North. I learned from experience that
>> some expressions like "went south" doesn't go well with southerners.
>> Seems like common sense but when you are so used to saying things, you
>> tend to repeat it despite where you go (at least at first) and I
>> remember how embarrassed I was when I was corrected by a Texan. I
>> never meant any harm by it but I realize now that I was ignorant then.
>> I don't know what I say now in it's place but I'm very careful not to
>> repeat my mistake .

> RnR, as I stated, going South means straight-down and buried. Nothing
> to do with being derogatory about the South. (As far as I have ever
> heard)
>
> Still prefer 'Bit the dust'
>
> Bruce

Understood, but the SFTPOCTD (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to
Dust) has a powerful lobby and filed an amicus curiae brief that *some*
dust, *somewhere*, might *someday* be offended by the term and sought
*cease and desist* protection.