DIMM Slot A vs. Slot B

Bob Pownall

I'm just hoping to clear up some puzzlement on my part.

I've got a Dell Inspiron 8500.

I had the memory cover off, and noticed something that seemed odd to me.

The motherboard has two little labels (printed directly on the PCB) next
to the DIMM slots: DIMM1 and DIMM2.

The puzzling thing, to me, is that in the slot next to the one labeled
DIMM2 is a sticker that says SLOT A.

Would DIMM1 be SLOT A and DIMM2 be SLOT B?

Am I confused? Or did somebody at the factory stick the slot label in
the wrong place?

Bob Pownall

S.Lewis

"Bob Pownall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm just hoping to clear up some puzzlement on my part.
>
> I've got a Dell Inspiron 8500.
>
> I had the memory cover off, and noticed something that seemed odd to me.
>
> The motherboard has two little labels (printed directly on the PCB) next
> to the DIMM slots: DIMM1 and DIMM2.
>
> The puzzling thing, to me, is that in the slot next to the one labeled
> DIMM2 is a sticker that says SLOT A.
>
> Would DIMM1 be SLOT A and DIMM2 be SLOT B?

Yes. And the placement of a single DIMM in either is fine in that system.

Stew

S. Mims

An example of poor quality control.
"S.Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XAcof.38820$(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "Bob Pownall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm just hoping to clear up some puzzlement on my part.
>>
>> I've got a Dell Inspiron 8500.
>>
>> I had the memory cover off, and noticed something that seemed odd to me.
>>
>> The motherboard has two little labels (printed directly on the PCB) next
>> to the DIMM slots: DIMM1 and DIMM2.
>>
>> The puzzling thing, to me, is that in the slot next to the one labeled
>> DIMM2 is a sticker that says SLOT A.
>>
>> Would DIMM1 be SLOT A and DIMM2 be SLOT B?
>>

> Yes. And the placement of a single DIMM in either is fine in that system.
>

> Stew

S.Lewis

"S. Mims" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tAnof.2294$(E-Mail Removed)...
> An example of poor quality control.

No. Rather, a common example of Intel/Mitac/Foxconn PCB socket labeling.
It's no different with retail boards by, say, Asus.

Stew

Bob Pownall

S.Lewis wrote:

Thanks, Stew!

Bob Pownall

BD7-11 FUBAR DIMM Slot Gingangooli Abit 1 10-29-2005 05:29 AM
3 DIMM slot wtf? Helix Asus 16 02-21-2005 02:50 AM
BD711 memory upgrading - 3rd DIMM slot limitation? Temor Abit 2 08-21-2004 04:49 PM
A7N8X, Using 3rd Dimm Slot? jimb Asus 1 07-26-2004 06:40 PM
Needs some assistance with Abit IS-7E dimm slot wild Abit 8 11-13-2003 01:56 PM