How to disable the pointing stick on keyboard?

Yong Huang

My Compaq nc6230 laptop has the pointing stick in the middle of the
keyboard (the round thing you move to move mouse cursor). How do I
disable it? Control panel -> keyboard doesn't have an entry for it. I
often accidentally touch it when I type and the cursor suddenly jumps
to a different location on screen. It's annoying. Thanks.

Yong Huang

John Doue

Yong Huang wrote:
> My Compaq nc6230 laptop has the pointing stick in the middle of the
> keyboard (the round thing you move to move mouse cursor). How do I
> disable it? Control panel -> keyboard doesn't have an entry for it. I
> often accidentally touch it when I type and the cursor suddenly jumps
> to a different location on screen. It's annoying. Thanks.
>
> Yong Huang

There has to be a software way to disable it, but I am not familiar with
your machine. Check Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager
for it and disable it there.

Further, you should be able to physically remove the offending red
"thing" simply by unscrewing it.

Regards

--
John Doue

Richard Bonner

Yong Huang ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
> My Compaq nc6230 laptop has the pointing stick in the middle of the
> keyboard (the round thing you move to move mouse cursor). How do I
> disable it? Control panel -> keyboard doesn't have an entry for it. I
> often accidentally touch it when I type and the cursor suddenly jumps
> to a different location on screen. It's annoying. Thanks.

> Yong Huang

*** Do you use an external mouse? If not, hooking one up may disable the
keyboard one. I use an HP Pavilion with a touch pad. Unless I load
specific drivers for it, it does not function. I load the generic "Cute
Mouse" driver for my external trackball and all is well.

Another possibility is to go into the laptop's setup and see if there
is an option for the pointer.

Richard Bonner
http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/

Yong Huang

On Aug 5, 4:38 pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Richard Bonner) wrote:
> Yong Huang ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
> > My Compaq nc6230 laptop has the pointing stick in the middle of the
> > keyboard (the round thing you move to move mouse cursor). How do I
> > disable it? Control panel -> keyboard doesn't have an entry for it. I
> > often accidentally touch it when I type and the cursor suddenly jumps
> > to a different location on screen. It's annoying. Thanks.
> > Yong Huang

> *** Do you use an external mouse? If not, hooking one up may disable the
> keyboard one. I use an HP Pavilion with a touch pad. Unless I load
> specific drivers for it, it does not function. I load the generic "Cute
> Mouse" driver for my external trackball and all is well.
>
> Another possibility is to go into the laptop's setup and see if there
> is an option for the pointer.
>
> Richard Bonnerhttp://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/

Thank you (and John). Problem solved. I installed Synaptics mouse
control some time ago when I disabled the vertical lines on the touch
pad (what do you call those?) I just went to Control Panel - Mouse and
found this Synaptics device setting tab. I'm able to disable pointing
stick from there.

Yong Huang

Yong Huang

On Aug 5, 6:00 pm, Yong Huang <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Aug 5, 4:38 pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Richard Bonner) wrote:
>

> > Yong Huang ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
> > > My Compaq nc6230 laptop has thepointing stickin the middle of the
> > > keyboard (the round thing you move to move mouse cursor). How do I
> > > disable it? Control panel -> keyboard doesn't have an entry for it. I
> > > often accidentally touch it when I type and the cursor suddenly jumps
> > > to a different location on screen. It's annoying. Thanks.
> > > Yong Huang

> > *** Do you use an external mouse? If not, hooking one up may disable the
> > keyboard one. I use an HP Pavilion with a touch pad. Unless I load
> > specific drivers for it, it does not function. I load the generic "Cute
> > Mouse" driver for my external trackball and all is well.

> > Another possibility is to go into the laptop's setup and see if there
> > is an option for the pointer.

> > Richard Bonnerhttp://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/

> Thank you (and John). Problem solved. I installed Synaptics mouse
> control some time ago when I disabled the vertical lines on the touch
> pad (what do you call those?) I just went to Control Panel - Mouse and
> found this Synaptics device setting tab. I'm able to disablepointingstickfrom there.
>
> Yong Huang

I posted the original question and found that I can disable it in
Control Panel -> Mouse. The new question is, How do I permanently
disable this annoying feature? Every time I reboot the computer, the
setting is back to enabled again. Thanks.

Yong Huang

olfart

"Yong Huang" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Aug 5, 6:00 pm, Yong Huang <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > *** Do you use an external mouse? If not, hooking one up may disable
>> > the
>> > keyboard one. I use an HP Pavilion with a touch pad. Unless I load
>> > specific drivers for it, it does not function. I load the generic "Cute
>> > Mouse" driver for my external trackball and all is well.

>> > Another possibility is to go into the laptop's setup and see if
>> > there
>> > is an option for the pointer.

>> > Richard Bonnerhttp://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/

>> Thank you (and John). Problem solved. I installed Synaptics mouse
>> control some time ago when I disabled the vertical lines on the touch
>> pad (what do you call those?) I just went to Control Panel - Mouse and
>> found this Synaptics device setting tab. I'm able to
>> disablepointingstickfrom there.
>>
>> Yong Huang

> I posted the original question and found that I can disable it in
> Control Panel -> Mouse. The new question is, How do I permanently
> disable this annoying feature? Every time I reboot the computer, the
> setting is back to enabled again. Thanks.
>
> Yong Huang

did you look in Device Manager???