disabling SMI

Larry.Martell@gmail.com

I have a real-time app that runs on a P4. The box we are running it on
has an Aopen i865PEa-7IF motherboard. We are using the On-Time RTOS.
We have found that every 37 seconds the app completely stops running
for 250 microseconds. Using a PCI bus analyzer we discovered that
between the last operation done by my app and when my app resumes
running shows 100's and 100's of I/O reads and writes to addresses B3,
EB, and 61. Googling on this has led me to believe that these accesses
are related to SMI's and SMM. I have disabled everything in the BIOS -
USB, LAN, power management, serial and parallel ports, modem, firewire,
MIDI and game ports - yet my app still stops and I still see these
accesses.

Does anyone know how I can totally disable the SMI's?

TIA!
-larry

Richard

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have a real-time app that runs on a P4. The box we are running it on
> has an Aopen i865PEa-7IF motherboard. We are using the On-Time RTOS.
> We have found that every 37 seconds the app completely stops running
> for 250 microseconds. Using a PCI bus analyzer we discovered that
> between the last operation done by my app and when my app resumes
> running shows 100's and 100's of I/O reads and writes to addresses B3,
> EB, and 61. Googling on this has led me to believe that these accesses
> are related to SMI's and SMM. I have disabled everything in the BIOS -
> USB, LAN, power management, serial and parallel ports, modem, firewire,
> MIDI and game ports - yet my app still stops and I still see these
> accesses.
>
> Does anyone know how I can totally disable the SMI's?

Are you using an Intel processor with this, or a compatible non Intel part?
I have experienced a similar problem when we switched components once, but I
forget which (non Intel) part was giving us the grief. It turned out to be
some silicon bug which had been mentioned on the On-Time support archive.
Sorry my memory of it is too sketchy but I think there was some way of
disabling the SMI in software during the start-up routine - but this then
lead me to a different problem and in the end I just ditched the processor
for a different variant.

It might be that your problem is completely different but I suggest looking
through the On-Time support archive for SMI or SMM. You should hit some
info if you go back far enough.

Regards,
Richard.

http://www.FreeRTOS.org
*Now for ARM CORTEX M3!*

Larry.Martell@gmail.com

Richard wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >I have a real-time app that runs on a P4. The box we are running it on
> > has an Aopen i865PEa-7IF motherboard. We are using the On-Time RTOS.
> > We have found that every 37 seconds the app completely stops running
> > for 250 microseconds. Using a PCI bus analyzer we discovered that
> > between the last operation done by my app and when my app resumes
> > running shows 100's and 100's of I/O reads and writes to addresses B3,
> > EB, and 61. Googling on this has led me to believe that these accesses
> > are related to SMI's and SMM. I have disabled everything in the BIOS -
> > USB, LAN, power management, serial and parallel ports, modem, firewire,
> > MIDI and game ports - yet my app still stops and I still see these
> > accesses.
> >
> > Does anyone know how I can totally disable the SMI's?

> Are you using an Intel processor with this, or a compatible non Intel part?

I am using an Intel 3.6 GHz P4 (775 socket)

> I have experienced a similar problem when we switched components once, but I
> forget which (non Intel) part was giving us the grief. It turned out to be
> some silicon bug which had been mentioned on the On-Time support archive.
> Sorry my memory of it is too sketchy but I think there was some way of
> disabling the SMI in software during the start-up routine - but this then
> lead me to a different problem and in the end I just ditched the processor
> for a different variant.
>
> It might be that your problem is completely different but I suggest looking
> through the On-Time support archive for SMI or SMM. You should hit some
> info if you go back far enough.

I've been told this by others as well, but my searches in the archives
have not turned up any hits.

Thanks!
-larry

Larry.Martell@gmail.com

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Richard wrote:
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > >I have a real-time app that runs on a P4. The box we are running it on
> > > has an Aopen i865PEa-7IF motherboard. We are using the On-Time RTOS.
> > > We have found that every 37 seconds the app completely stops running
> > > for 250 microseconds. Using a PCI bus analyzer we discovered that
> > > between the last operation done by my app and when my app resumes
> > > running shows 100's and 100's of I/O reads and writes to addresses B3,
> > > EB, and 61. Googling on this has led me to believe that these accesses
> > > are related to SMI's and SMM. I have disabled everything in the BIOS -
> > > USB, LAN, power management, serial and parallel ports, modem, firewire,
> > > MIDI and game ports - yet my app still stops and I still see these
> > > accesses.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know how I can totally disable the SMI's?

> > Are you using an Intel processor with this, or a compatible non Intel part?

> I am using an Intel 3.6 GHz P4 (775 socket
>
> > I have experienced a similar problem when we switched components once, but I
> > forget which (non Intel) part was giving us the grief. It turned out to be
> > some silicon bug which had been mentioned on the On-Time support archive.
> > Sorry my memory of it is too sketchy but I think there was some way of
> > disabling the SMI in software during the start-up routine - but this then
> > lead me to a different problem and in the end I just ditched the processor
> > for a different variant.
> >
> > It might be that your problem is completely different but I suggest looking
> > through the On-Time support archive for SMI or SMM. You should hit some
> > info if you go back far enough.

> I've been told this by others as well, but my searches in the archives
> have not turned up any hits.

My bad - I found these posts, but they're all related to the AMD Geode
GX-1 CPU, not the P4. I did try what was suggested in those threads,
but it didn't help in my situation atl all.

-larry

Cyril Novikov

On 01.06.2006 15:51, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I have a real-time app that runs on a P4. The box we are running it on
> has an Aopen i865PEa-7IF motherboard. We are using the On-Time RTOS.
> We have found that every 37 seconds the app completely stops running
> for 250 microseconds. Using a PCI bus analyzer we discovered that
> between the last operation done by my app and when my app resumes
> running shows 100's and 100's of I/O reads and writes to addresses B3,
> EB, and 61. Googling on this has led me to believe that these accesses
> are related to SMI's and SMM. I have disabled everything in the BIOS -
> USB, LAN, power management, serial and parallel ports, modem, firewire,
> MIDI and game ports - yet my app still stops and I still see these
> accesses.
>
> Does anyone know how I can totally disable the SMI's?

We've seen this (150+ us delays in our case), and it was caused by
SMI's. Most BIOS'es do not allow you to disable SMI's. You'll have to
program the South Bridge to disable them yourself.

This is highly dependent on the particular chipset, so you should
download chipset documentation from Intel (freely available). In the
power management registers of the South Bridge, there's usually a "SMI
global enable" bit, which you want to set to zero.

--
Cyril

Armin Steinhoff

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have a real-time app that runs on a P4. The box we are running it on
> has an Aopen i865PEa-7IF motherboard. We are using the On-Time RTOS.
> We have found that every 37 seconds the app completely stops running
> for 250 microseconds. Using a PCI bus analyzer we discovered that
> between the last operation done by my app and when my app resumes
> running shows 100's and 100's of I/O reads and writes to addresses B3,
> EB, and 61. Googling on this has led me to believe that these accesses
> are related to SMI's and SMM. I have disabled everything in the BIOS -
> USB, LAN, power management, serial and parallel ports, modem, firewire,
> MIDI and game ports - yet my app still stops and I still see these
> accesses.
>
> Does anyone know how I can totally disable the SMI's?

https://mail.rtai.org/pipermail/rtai...ly/012391.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/xenomai-.../msg01507.html

--Armin

Larry.Martell@gmail.com

Cyril Novikov wrote:
> On 01.06.2006 15:51, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > I have a real-time app that runs on a P4. The box we are running it on
> > has an Aopen i865PEa-7IF motherboard. We are using the On-Time RTOS.
> > We have found that every 37 seconds the app completely stops running
> > for 250 microseconds. Using a PCI bus analyzer we discovered that
> > between the last operation done by my app and when my app resumes
> > running shows 100's and 100's of I/O reads and writes to addresses B3,
> > EB, and 61. Googling on this has led me to believe that these accesses
> > are related to SMI's and SMM. I have disabled everything in the BIOS -
> > USB, LAN, power management, serial and parallel ports, modem, firewire,
> > MIDI and game ports - yet my app still stops and I still see these
> > accesses.
> >
> > Does anyone know how I can totally disable the SMI's?

> We've seen this (150+ us delays in our case), and it was caused by
> SMI's. Most BIOS'es do not allow you to disable SMI's. You'll have to
> program the South Bridge to disable them yourself.
>
> This is highly dependent on the particular chipset, so you should
> download chipset documentation from Intel (freely available). In the
> power management registers of the South Bridge, there's usually a "SMI
> global enable" bit, which you want to set to zero.

Thanks very much for this reply Cyril. It was very helpful. It led me
to discover that my motherboard does not have a Northbridge/Southbridge
architecture; it has the newer IHA with a GMCH and ICH. I got the docs
on my ICH, found the SMI control and enable register, and modified my
program to clear the global SMI enable bit. This has stopped the SMI's.
Thanks again!

-larry

Larry.Martell@gmail.com

Armin Steinhoff wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > I have a real-time app that runs on a P4. The box we are running it on
> > has an Aopen i865PEa-7IF motherboard. We are using the On-Time RTOS.
> > We have found that every 37 seconds the app completely stops running
> > for 250 microseconds. Using a PCI bus analyzer we discovered that
> > between the last operation done by my app and when my app resumes
> > running shows 100's and 100's of I/O reads and writes to addresses B3,
> > EB, and 61. Googling on this has led me to believe that these accesses
> > are related to SMI's and SMM. I have disabled everything in the BIOS -
> > USB, LAN, power management, serial and parallel ports, modem, firewire,
> > MIDI and game ports - yet my app still stops and I still see these
> > accesses.
> >
> > Does anyone know how I can totally disable the SMI's?

> https://mail.rtai.org/pipermail/rtai...ly/012391.html
> http://www.mail-archive.com/xenomai-.../msg01507.html

The code at this link is for the AMD Geode GX-1. It is not applicable
to the P4.

-larry

Slavisa Zigic

I also have a real-time app that runs on P4. It is running on AAEON MB-845GE
motherboard. CPU stalls for 250us for unknown reason. This event is not
periodic, sometimes it is after less than a minute, sometimes you have to
wait for few minutes. Motherboard is using Intel 845GE chipset. I downloaded
datasheet for South Bridge and wrote small program to read SMI enable
registers. All values are default (as specified in datasheet), that is, SMI
disabled.
After that, I disabled Thermal Monitor on CPU (TM1 & TM2) by writing to MSR
IA32_MISC_ENABLE (bits 3 and 13). No change. Still have 250us stall.

'cli' did not help, disabling APIC didn't help, disabling ALL interrupts on
PIC didn't help, writing to Intel Software Developers Forum didn't help...

Slavisa Zigic

In comp.realtime (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Armin Steinhoff wrote:
:> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
:> > I have a real-time app that runs on a P4. The box we are running it on
:> > has an Aopen i865PEa-7IF motherboard. We are using the On-Time RTOS.
:> > We have found that every 37 seconds the app completely stops running
:> > for 250 microseconds. Using a PCI bus analyzer we discovered that
:> > between the last operation done by my app and when my app resumes
:> > running shows 100's and 100's of I/O reads and writes to addresses B3,
:> > EB, and 61. Googling on this has led me to believe that these accesses
:> > are related to SMI's and SMM. I have disabled everything in the BIOS -
:> > USB, LAN, power management, serial and parallel ports, modem, firewire,
:> > MIDI and game ports - yet my app still stops and I still see these
:> > accesses.
:> >
:> > Does anyone know how I can totally disable the SMI's?
:>
:> https://mail.rtai.org/pipermail/rtai...ly/012391.html
:> http://www.mail-archive.com/xenomai-.../msg01507.html

: The code at this link is for the AMD Geode GX-1. It is not applicable
: to the P4.

: -larry

Slavisa Zigic

I found a way to disable SMI. Furthermore, I found that TCO_EN bit is
causing SMI#. I am using Intel 82801DB ICH4.

How safe it is to disable SMIs?
Is there any problem with overheating of CPU or any other side effect?

Thanks,

Slavisa Zigic

: : Armin Steinhoff wrote:
: :> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
: :> > I have a real-time app that runs on a P4. The box we are running it on
: :> > has an Aopen i865PEa-7IF motherboard. We are using the On-Time RTOS.
: :> > We have found that every 37 seconds the app completely stops running
: :> > for 250 microseconds. Using a PCI bus analyzer we discovered that
: :> > between the last operation done by my app and when my app resumes
: :> > running shows 100's and 100's of I/O reads and writes to addresses B3,
: :> > EB, and 61. Googling on this has led me to believe that these accesses
: :> > are related to SMI's and SMM. I have disabled everything in the BIOS -
: :> > USB, LAN, power management, serial and parallel ports, modem, firewire,
: :> > MIDI and game ports - yet my app still stops and I still see these
: :> > accesses.
: :> >
: :> > Does anyone know how I can totally disable the SMI's?
: :>