disappeared WiFi icon in "tray"

Tim923

I have a T41 laptop. The WiFi has been working great for months. There
used to be 2 WiFi icons in the "tray". One of them looks like a monitor
with three radio like lines next to it. The icon I am missing now is the
square icon that lets me detect wireless networks in range, change them, and
see signal strength. Now I only get the radio icon. It seemed to happen
after a power failure in the electric lines. This is when the battery
kicked in and took over. When I click on the radio icon, there is no way
for me to change the network. It just stays on the home wireless network
and won't let me change when I leave home. I can click on the radio icon
(not like I did before when I had that square icon), but I get the message
that Windows cannot configure this wireless connection and suggests I use
another program.

How do I get that square icon back. Tim

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Tim923 wrote:
> I have a T41 laptop. The WiFi has been working great for months. There
> used to be 2 WiFi icons in the "tray". One of them looks like
> a monitor with three radio like lines next to it. The icon I am
> missing now is the square icon that lets me detect wireless networks
> in range, change them, and see signal strength. Now I only get the
> radio icon. It seemed to happen after a power failure in the
> electric lines. This is when the battery kicked in and took over. When I
> click on the radio icon, there is no way for me to change the
> network. It just stays on the home wireless network and won't let me
> change when I leave home. I can click on the radio icon (not like I
> did before when I had that square icon), but I get the message that
> Windows cannot configure this wireless connection and suggests I use
> another program.
> How do I get that square icon back. Tim

Reinstall ThinkVantage Access Connections. Maybe through TV System Update?
--
Shaun.

Tim923

> Reinstall ThinkVantage Access Connections. Maybe through TV System Update?
> --
> Shaun.

Sounded like a great idea. I installed the latest version of T.V.A.C., but
still no icon. I'm puzzled as the icon was there for months. Tim

Tim923

OK, here's what I did:

install .NET framwork, the latest version
upgrade T.V.A.C. to latest version
uninstall T.V.A.C.
install latest version again

And now I have the icons. Thanks.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Tim923 wrote:
> OK, here's what I did:
>
> install .NET framwork, the latest version
> upgrade T.V.A.C. to latest version
> uninstall T.V.A.C.
> install latest version again
>
> And now I have the icons. Thanks.

Heh! The hoops we jump through huh?

Good to hear that you've got it sorted. TVAC is a great app.
--
Shaun.

Icon in Dock Disappeared Beth Apple 3 11-24-2006 02:33 AM
Hd icon disappeared bede Apple 1 07-01-2006 11:22 PM
document icon turns into folder icon Art Werschulz Apple 1 09-17-2005 05:47 AM
Custom folder icon from a folder icon? Sensei Apple 6 05-21-2005 03:54 PM
sys preferences CD icon disappeared Charlie Apple 0 03-07-2004 04:24 PM