Disassembly problem-Gateway & Boot-Block Bios Problem

CKD

First-off, let me apologize for the length of my post, however it is
necessary.
My Gateway Solo 9300 has given me problems since day-one. The first
problem was with the battery not charging with docking station,..etc.
i upgraded my OS from Win 98se to Win2K-Pro. For the upgrade, i
updated (flashed) the bios that was recommended by Gateway for the
Win2k OS. Even after the successful upgrade, the charging problem
persisted.

I sent the unit (under warranty) back to Gateway & they said they put
in a new motherboard (MB). Here's the rub.... i'm not sure they
upgraded the new MB's with the proper bios for Win2k.
Anyway, the laptop unit ran ok for a few months then i started having,
boot problems.
It simply would not turn_on.
Nothing but the power light turned on.
No boot noises.
to overcome the problem i would have to unplug the unit's main battery
& wait 20 min. then re-insert the battery, then it would boot
correctly.
After about 10 times doing this procedure (over a month period of
time) the work-around no longer worked.

So this is my current symptoms:
when powering_on...Nothing is displayed on the screen, the hard disk
light does not light, no lights at all except for the floppy disk
light which stays on all the time.
IT can Not be turned-off. A inserted floppy is not read & it can Not
be ejected ( the floppy must be must be removed by carefully prying-it
out, manually).

From what i understand is, i have a boot-block bios problem. However i
can not find any info on how to deal with it on my Gateway Solo 9300
laptop.

All the "how to fix" info that i've found, is very general & refers to
desktop computers.
My biggest problem is i can not remove the laptop's top panel covers &
the keyboard too. I need to do that so i can gain access to the
motherboard, itself.

I've removed all the screws but the covers still won't come-off.
therefore there must be a removal technique i'm unaware of & can't
figure out.
If nothing else can some one here in this NG please help me get the
top of this laptop.

S_H

My original email address, is highly filtered. So if you prefer advise
me through email, use this email addy. trueteck@despammedDOTcom
Remember that the DOT is equal to " . " symbol.

Papa

With that many problems, I suggest you ask for a replacement.

"CKD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> First-off, let me apologize for the length of my post, however it is
> necessary.
> My Gateway Solo 9300 has given me problems since day-one. The first
> problem was with the battery not charging with docking station,..etc.
> i upgraded my OS from Win 98se to Win2K-Pro. For the upgrade, i
> updated (flashed) the bios that was recommended by Gateway for the
> Win2k OS. Even after the successful upgrade, the charging problem
> persisted.
>
> I sent the unit (under warranty) back to Gateway & they said they put
> in a new motherboard (MB). Here's the rub.... i'm not sure they
> upgraded the new MB's with the proper bios for Win2k.
> Anyway, the laptop unit ran ok for a few months then i started having,
> boot problems.
> It simply would not turn_on.
> Nothing but the power light turned on.
> No boot noises.
> to overcome the problem i would have to unplug the unit's main battery
> & wait 20 min. then re-insert the battery, then it would boot
> correctly.
> After about 10 times doing this procedure (over a month period of
> time) the work-around no longer worked.
>
> So this is my current symptoms:
> when powering_on...Nothing is displayed on the screen, the hard disk
> light does not light, no lights at all except for the floppy disk
> light which stays on all the time.
> IT can Not be turned-off. A inserted floppy is not read & it can Not
> be ejected ( the floppy must be must be removed by carefully prying-it
> out, manually).
>
> From what i understand is, i have a boot-block bios problem. However i
> can not find any info on how to deal with it on my Gateway Solo 9300
> laptop.
>
> All the "how to fix" info that i've found, is very general & refers to
> desktop computers.
> My biggest problem is i can not remove the laptop's top panel covers &
> the keyboard too. I need to do that so i can gain access to the
> motherboard, itself.
>
> I've removed all the screws but the covers still won't come-off.
> therefore there must be a removal technique i'm unaware of & can't
> figure out.
> If nothing else can some one here in this NG please help me get the
> top of this laptop.
>
> S_H
>
> My original email address, is highly filtered. So if you prefer advise
> me through email, use this email addy. trueteck@despammedDOTcom
> Remember that the DOT is equal to " . " symbol.

Quaoar

CKD wrote:
> First-off, let me apologize for the length of my post, however it is
> necessary.
> My Gateway Solo 9300 has given me problems since day-one. The first
> problem was with the battery not charging with docking station,..etc.
> i upgraded my OS from Win 98se to Win2K-Pro. For the upgrade, i
> updated (flashed) the bios that was recommended by Gateway for the
> Win2k OS. Even after the successful upgrade, the charging problem
> persisted.
>
> I sent the unit (under warranty) back to Gateway & they said they put
> in a new motherboard (MB). Here's the rub.... i'm not sure they
> upgraded the new MB's with the proper bios for Win2k.
> Anyway, the laptop unit ran ok for a few months then i started having,
> boot problems.
> It simply would not turn_on.
> Nothing but the power light turned on.
> No boot noises.
> to overcome the problem i would have to unplug the unit's main battery
> & wait 20 min. then re-insert the battery, then it would boot
> correctly.
> After about 10 times doing this procedure (over a month period of
> time) the work-around no longer worked.
>
> So this is my current symptoms:
> when powering_on...Nothing is displayed on the screen, the hard disk
> light does not light, no lights at all except for the floppy disk
> light which stays on all the time.
> IT can Not be turned-off. A inserted floppy is not read & it can Not
> be ejected ( the floppy must be must be removed by carefully prying-it
> out, manually).
>
> From what i understand is, i have a boot-block bios problem. However i
> can not find any info on how to deal with it on my Gateway Solo 9300
> laptop.
>
> All the "how to fix" info that i've found, is very general & refers to
> desktop computers.
> My biggest problem is i can not remove the laptop's top panel covers &
> the keyboard too. I need to do that so i can gain access to the
> motherboard, itself.
>
> I've removed all the screws but the covers still won't come-off.
> therefore there must be a removal technique i'm unaware of & can't
> figure out.
> If nothing else can some one here in this NG please help me get the
> top of this laptop.
>
> S_H
>
> My original email address, is highly filtered. So if you prefer advise
> me through email, use this email addy. trueteck@despammedDOTcom
> Remember that the DOT is equal to " . " symbol.

I do not recall the 9300 all that well, but try this (work with the
9100/9150): the power button/operation LEDs are on a strip above the
keyboard? Look for a small hole on the right edge of this strip. If
there is one, insert a paper clip - a heavy duty one - push down gently
while sliding the strip to the left. It will move about 1/2 inch. Lift
it up gently, remove any connected cables. The top of the keyboard is
exposed. Remove the screws, lift the keyboard out, taking care with the
ribbon cable. Remove the ribbon cable at the mainboard.

Semi Head

>From: (E-Mail Removed) (Quaoar)
>

>I do not recall the 9300 all that well, but
>try this (work with the 9100/9150): the
>power button/operation LEDs are on a
>strip above the keyboard? Look for a
>small hole on the right edge of this strip.
>If there is one, insert a paper clip - a
>heavy duty one - push down gently
>while sliding the strip to the left. It will
>move about 1/2 inch. Lift it up gently,
>remove any connected cables. The top
>of the keyboard is exposed. Remove the
>screws, lift the keyboard out, taking care
>with the ribbon cable. Remove the
>ribbon cable at the mainboard.

THANKS Q
BTW- My Laptop is no longer under warranty.

The only small opening on that strip is one that contains a small hole
that has a countersunk green light (or something that looks like one) at
it's bottom.
Is that the hole i use with the paper-clip ?

Like i say, it looks like there is a green diode deep within the hole
near the power-on button. No other holes anywhere,... including the end
pieces.
Any other ideas?

S_H

Quaoar

Semi Head wrote:
>> From: (E-Mail Removed) (Quaoar)
> >

> >I do not recall the 9300 all that well, but
> >try this (work with the 9100/9150): the
> >power button/operation LEDs are on a
> >strip above the keyboard? Look for a
> >small hole on the right edge of this strip.
> >If there is one, insert a paper clip - a
> >heavy duty one - push down gently
> >while sliding the strip to the left. It will
> >move about 1/2 inch. Lift it up gently,
> >remove any connected cables. The top
> >of the keyboard is exposed. Remove the
> >screws, lift the keyboard out, taking care
> >with the ribbon cable. Remove the
> >ribbon cable at the mainboard.
> >

> THANKS Q
> BTW- My Laptop is no longer under warranty.
>
> The only small opening on that strip is one that contains a small hole
> that has a countersunk green light (or something that looks like one)
> at it's bottom.
> Is that the hole i use with the paper-clip ?
>
> Like i say, it looks like there is a green diode deep within the hole
> near the power-on button. No other holes anywhere,... including the
> end pieces.
> Any other ideas?
>
> S_H

Well, look closely at that hole. It is unusual that a hole would have
an LED deep within it. The LED would serve no purpose. It is possible
that what you are seeing is the internal reflection of an LED through an
empty hole.

However, my point is that *if* the 9300 is the same type of case design
as the 9100/9150, then the key to exposing the interior is to slide that
strip sideways, and there is a hole for access to the plastic lock tab
that releases the strip. Put a paper clip into the hole and try. It
takes just gentle pressure downward as you push to the side on the
strip.

Quaoar

Semi Head wrote:
>> From: (E-Mail Removed) (Quaoar)
> >

> >I do not recall the 9300 all that well, but
> >try this (work with the 9100/9150): the
> >power button/operation LEDs are on a
> >strip above the keyboard? Look for a
> >small hole on the right edge of this strip.
> >If there is one, insert a paper clip - a
> >heavy duty one - push down gently
> >while sliding the strip to the left. It will
> >move about 1/2 inch. Lift it up gently,
> >remove any connected cables. The top
> >of the keyboard is exposed. Remove the
> >screws, lift the keyboard out, taking care
> >with the ribbon cable. Remove the
> >ribbon cable at the mainboard.
> >

> THANKS Q
> BTW- My Laptop is no longer under warranty.
>
> The only small opening on that strip is one that contains a small hole
> that has a countersunk green light (or something that looks like one)
> at it's bottom.
> Is that the hole i use with the paper-clip ?
>
> Like i say, it looks like there is a green diode deep within the hole
> near the power-on button. No other holes anywhere,... including the
> end pieces.
> Any other ideas?
>
> S_H

http://www.orphanlaptops.com/solo_9300.htm