Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

DIsk partitioning for Linux on ThinkPad SL400

 
 
John Bartley K7AAY
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-04-2009, 02:26 AM
149GB hd from factory in my Lenovo SL400. Vista's Disk Management snap-
in shows this partitioning for Disk 0:

Letter Volume Size Status
-- ----------- ------ -------------------------------------------
S: SERVICE003 1004 MiB Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partiion)
C: SW_Preload 135 GiB Healthy (Boot, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
unallocated 10 GiB recovered from C: w/ Disk Mgt snap-in & by
shrinking Q: w/ EASUS Part. Mgr.
Q: Lenovo 6 GiB Healthy (Primary Partition)

1 Should C: be the first partition? Since the first partition is the
fastest, sure feels like it would be nice to shuffle S: and C:
positions.

2 What's in Q:, anyway? What's the impact of deleting it, if I copy
its contents to a DVD-RL?

3 It's my intent to install a Linux (eLive? Kubuntu? pcE17OS 2nd Ed.?
Dislike GNOME, fer sure) and I've been given to understand there's a
maximum of four (4) Primary Partitions on a hard drive, so how do I
overcome that? With extended partitions? Linux wants two partitions
(well, three, but since I have 2GB RAM, I think Linux will do OK sans
swap).

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Horst Franke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-19-2009, 07:45 PM
In news:(E-Mail Removed)
John Bartley K7AAY wrote:

> 149GB hd from factory in my Lenovo SL400. Vista's Disk Management
> snap- in shows this partitioning for Disk 0:
>
> Letter Volume Size Status
> -- ----------- ------ -------------------------------------------
> S: SERVICE003 1004 MiB Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partiion)


Hi John, I don't see, why this is an ACTIVE primary partition.
Would assume this to be a backup partition or a setup partition.

> C: SW_Preload 135 GiB Healthy (Boot, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
> unallocated 10 GiB recovered from C: w/ Disk Mgt snap-in & by
> shrinking Q: w/ EASUS Part. Mgr.


Don't understand the additions.
C: should be the Boot, System and primary partition.
But 135 GB is far too much. Even Vista would not need so much.

> Q: Lenovo 6 GiB Healthy (Primary Partition)

This looks like a backup partition of provided applications.

> 1 Should C: be the first partition? Since the first partition is the
> fastest, sure feels like it would be nice to shuffle S: and C:
> positions.


Yes, C: should be the first bootable partition.
Don't know wow S: would react with C:

> 2 What's in Q:, anyway? What's the impact of deleting it, if I copy
> its contents to a DVD-RL?

Be carefull. This seems to be the your setup partition.

> 3 It's my intent to install a Linux (eLive? Kubuntu? pcE17OS 2nd Ed.?


Ok, then there is no need to care what's on your HD.
Just delete and repartition it again.
But be aware if you would like to have a Windows Vista backup.
Perform backup copies.

> Dislike GNOME, fer sure) and I've been given to understand there's a
> maximum of four (4) Primary Partitions on a hard drive, so how do I
> overcome that? With extended partitions? Linux wants two partitions
> (well, three, but since I have 2GB RAM, I think Linux will do OK sans
> swap).


This is basic knowledge: a HD can only hold 4 primary partitions or
3 primary and 1 extended partition.
Of which ONLY 1 primary can be an active partition (for booting)!

Linux does not differentiate from this.
You need 1 primary _active_ partition to boot from.
And this should confirm to a Linux known Filesystem e.g. ***.

The second Linux partition can also be a primary partition but NOT
an active one - or an extended partition with logical drives.
But be aware that Linux likes special Filesystems.

So it's no problem if you define 1 primary _active_ partition, to boot from.
The second partition requires no special attends.

Of your 149 GB you could reserve 2 GB for Linux Boot and 512 MB for
the Linux SWAP partition. The rest would be for applications.

The rest may be a primary or extended partition.
And if you don't plan to go back to Vista at any time, then you don't need
any Vista backup system.

Otherwise you may like to do an "Image Backup" of the current HD.
But if you have related CD images then this would not be required.

Horst

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lenovo SL400 audio input sources lost in Vista Spack 2 John Bartley K7AAY IBM Thinkpad 8 12-18-2009 11:19 PM
Lenovo SL400 audio input sources lost in Vista Spack 2 John Bartley K7AAY IBM Thinkpad 0 12-05-2009 07:43 AM
disk partitioning tool for OS X Mark Apple 9 02-12-2004 04:27 AM
p2b-d and antec sl400 William Katz Asus 7 01-09-2004 02:21 AM
Partitioning disk for OSX - how/recommendations? Marc Heusser Apple 26 11-26-2003 08:34 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:45 PM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment