display driver problems

fear

When I boot up my Windows XP machine, it tells me there is a problem
and I have to pick booting in safe mode. When I do, there's an error
window that states:
The Drvier for the display device was unable to complete a drawing
operation. The Display driver for RAGE Fury MAXX (VGA Device) is
probably responsible.

When I look under Device Manager, I notice first of all that there are
2 entries for RAGE Fury MAXX, and when I try to disable one, the
problem persists. I also tried to do a Rollback Driver, and Update
Driver, which just tells me "There are no better drivers available".
The strange thing is, it worked just the day before.

A while back the HD dies, so I replaced it with a spare and had to
install XP but it was a copy that was already used, so I could not
activate it. The PC worked fine then, but when I finally got a new
copy of XP to install, after the instalationg process is when this
happened. ATI (the maker of the driver) does not list RAGE Fury MAXX
on their web site under the download driver site. So I can't change
the driver, but it's not working. What can I do, if anything?

jamotto

(E-Mail Removed) (fear) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) m>...
> When I boot up my Windows XP machine, it tells me there is a problem
> and I have to pick booting in safe mode. When I do, there's an error
> window that states:
> The Drvier for the display device was unable to complete a drawing
> operation. The Display driver for RAGE Fury MAXX (VGA Device) is
> probably responsible.
>
> When I look under Device Manager, I notice first of all that there are
> 2 entries for RAGE Fury MAXX, and when I try to disable one, the
> problem persists. I also tried to do a Rollback Driver, and Update
> Driver, which just tells me "There are no better drivers available".
> The strange thing is, it worked just the day before.
>
> A while back the HD dies, so I replaced it with a spare and had to
> install XP but it was a copy that was already used, so I could not
> activate it. The PC worked fine then, but when I finally got a new
> copy of XP to install, after the instalationg process is when this
> happened. ATI (the maker of the driver) does not list RAGE Fury MAXX
> on their web site under the download driver site. So I can't change
> the driver, but it's not working. What can I do, if anything?

use the driver for the "RAGE 128 PRO Family" of cards in ATI's driver selection.

based on this info http://www.ati.com/products/rage128p...axx/index.html