Display Sleep Schedule Problem

WelshGas

Installed 10.8 on my 2008 24" iMac without any problems EXCEPT for the fact
that the Display Sleep function does not seem to work. I have Screensaver to
come on after 5 mins and Display Sleep after 15mins,( System Pref - Energy
Saver ) but it doesn't come on. I can use a Hot Corner to put the Display
into sleep mode but cannot schedule it. Anyone else had this problem?

Have since found the cause- a USB printer that is normally on allways.
Switch off - problem sorted.

--
Welsh Gas
Remove usual to reply direct.

WelshGas

On 29/07/2012 14:16, in article CC3AF627.51721%(E-Mail Removed),
"WelshGas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Installed 10.8 on my 2008 24" iMac without any problems EXCEPT for the fact
> that the Display Sleep function does not seem to work. I have Screensaver to
> come on after 5 mins and Display Sleep after 15mins,( System Pref - Energy
> Saver ) but it doesn't come on. I can use a Hot Corner to put the Display
> into sleep mode but cannot schedule it. Anyone else had this problem?
>
> Have since found the cause- a USB printer that is normally on allways.
> Switch off - problem sorted.

Updated software from Canon and now Printer./scanner can be left on without
interfering with the Display Sleep Schedule

--
Welsh Gas
Remove usual to reply direct.
paulatwoodsforddotcodotuk

JF Mezei

WelshGas wrote:
> Installed 10.8 on my 2008 24" iMac without any problems EXCEPT for the fact
> that the Display Sleep function does not seem to work. I have Screensaver to
> come on after 5 mins and Display Sleep after 15mins,

Note that with modern screens the "screen saver" is no longer needed and
has the opposite effect since it uses more CPU and GPU power to draw the
animations.

Try disabling the screen saver and just go for the screen sleep function
at 5 minutes.

Barry Margolin

In article <5019cc42$0$1720$c3e8da3$(E-Mail Removed) m>,
JF Mezei <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> WelshGas wrote:
> > Installed 10.8 on my 2008 24" iMac without any problems EXCEPT for the fact
> > that the Display Sleep function does not seem to work. I have Screensaver to
> > come on after 5 mins and Display Sleep after 15mins,

> Note that with modern screens the "screen saver" is no longer needed and
> has the opposite effect since it uses more CPU and GPU power to draw the
> animations.
>
> Try disabling the screen saver and just go for the screen sleep function
> at 5 minutes.

I've been doing that for ages simply because I find screen saver
animations incredibly annoying. Before Apple offered screen sleep, I
used the Basic Black screen saver.

--
Barry Margolin, (E-Mail Removed)
Arlington, MA

WelshGas

On 02/08/2012 16:16, in article (E-Mail Removed), "Paul
Sture" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 10:59:47 -0400, Barry Margolin wrote:
>
>> In article <5019cc42$0$1720$c3e8da3$(E-Mail Removed) m>,
>> JF Mezei <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Note that with modern screens the "screen saver" is no longer needed
>>> and has the opposite effect since it uses more CPU and GPU power to
>>> draw the animations.
>>>
>>> Try disabling the screen saver and just go for the screen sleep
>>> function at 5 minutes.

>> I've been doing that for ages simply because I find screen saver
>> animations incredibly annoying. Before Apple offered screen sleep, I
>> used the Basic Black screen saver.

> I have always used Blank Screen instead of animated screen savers,
> irrespective of platform.

Didn't matter if the Screensaver was On or Off the Display Sleep function
Schedule would not work, only using a Hot Corner on the screen would put the
Display to sleep. Now having tracked the problem to my Canon MP272
printer/scanner and having updated the Canon software does the Display
Screen schedule work as intended under 10.8.

--
Welsh Gas
Remove usual to reply direct.
paulatwoodsforddotcodotuk

Lewis

In message <CC40607C.51B19%(E-Mail Removed)>
WelshGas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 02/08/2012 16:16, in article (E-Mail Removed), "Paul
> Sture" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 10:59:47 -0400, Barry Margolin wrote:

>>> I've been doing that for ages simply because I find screen saver
>>> animations incredibly annoying. Before Apple offered screen sleep, I
>>> used the Basic Black screen saver.

>> I have always used Blank Screen instead of animated screen savers,
>> irrespective of platform.

> Didn't matter if the Screensaver was On or Off the Display Sleep function
> Schedule would not work, only using a Hot Corner on the screen would put the
> Display to sleep. Now having tracked the problem to my Canon MP272
> printer/scanner and having updated the Canon software does the Display
> Screen schedule work as intended under 10.8.

For future reference, Shift-Control-Eject will put the display to sleep
immediately.

--
Love is like oxygen / You get too much / you get too high / Not enough
and you're gonna die