Do AMD Athlon XP supporting MBRDS utilise dual channel RAM?

q_q_anonymous@yahoo.co.uk

Do AMD Athlon XP supporting MBRDs utilise dual channel RAM?

I know that P4 based MBRDs do. P4 Quad pumps the FSB. The DDR RAM gets
that much bits flowing across the bus by dual pumping via the DDR
feature, and by using the dual channel.

But seems to me that if AMD based MBRDs utilised dual channel, you
wouldn't have an equal amount of data flowing back and forth.
Or would it be that the CPU just needs 2 cycles per every one cycle of
RAM.

I don't know if that's a problem.

Would I lose out putting a single 512MB DDR module into an AMD Athlon
XP supporting board. As oppose to putting 2*256MB modules ?

I know this isn't really about overclocking, but it's the kind of thing
you overclockers know about better than anybody.

Thanks in advance

Wes Newell

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 05:57:20 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Do AMD Athlon XP supporting MBRDs utilise dual channel RAM?

Some do. Some don't. There's really no need unless you have onboard video
that uses system ram.

> Would I lose out putting a single 512MB DDR module into an AMD Athlon
> XP supporting board. As oppose to putting 2*256MB modules ?

No, you wouldn't lose out. The only exception would be if you had onboard
video.

q_q_anonymous@yahoo.co.uk

Wes Newell wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 05:57:20 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > Do AMD Athlon XP supporting MBRDs utilise dual channel RAM?
> >

> Some do. Some don't. There's really no need unless you have onboard video
> that uses system ram.
>
> > Would I lose out putting a single 512MB DDR module into an AMD Athlon
> > XP supporting board. As oppose to putting 2*256MB modules ?
> >

> No, you wouldn't lose out. The only exception would be if you had onboard
> video.

Thanks, does the same apply to P4 MBRDs?
And out of interest, do all P4 MBRDs utilise it?

Paul

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,

> Wes Newell wrote:
> > On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 05:57:20 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >
> > > Do AMD Athlon XP supporting MBRDs utilise dual channel RAM?
> > >

> > Some do. Some don't. There's really no need unless you have onboard video
> > that uses system ram.
> >
> > > Would I lose out putting a single 512MB DDR module into an AMD Athlon
> > > XP supporting board. As oppose to putting 2*256MB modules ?
> > >

> > No, you wouldn't lose out. The only exception would be if you had onboard
> > video.
> >

> Thanks, does the same apply to P4 MBRDs?
> And out of interest, do all P4 MBRDs utilise it?

Some do and some don't :-) 875/865 do and 848 does not.
There are some budget chipsets that are single channel.
You really need to read the technical specs on the web
pages for the motherboards, to get the information.

Paul

Conor

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Do AMD Athlon XP supporting MBRDs utilise dual channel RAM?

Yes. Particularly nForce 2 chipset motherboards.

--
Conor
Sig under construction. Please check back when Duke Nukem Forever ships

Cashback on online purchases:
http://www.TopCashBack.co.uk/Conor/ref/index.htm

NoNoBadDog!

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Do AMD Athlon XP supporting MBRDs utilise dual channel RAM?
>
> I know that P4 based MBRDs do. P4 Quad pumps the FSB. The DDR RAM gets
> that much bits flowing across the bus by dual pumping via the DDR
> feature, and by using the dual channel.
>
> But seems to me that if AMD based MBRDs utilised dual channel, you
> wouldn't have an equal amount of data flowing back and forth.
> Or would it be that the CPU just needs 2 cycles per every one cycle of
> RAM.
>
> I don't know if that's a problem.
>
> Would I lose out putting a single 512MB DDR module into an AMD Athlon
> XP supporting board. As oppose to putting 2*256MB modules ?
>
> I know this isn't really about overclocking, but it's the kind of thing
> you overclockers know about better than anybody.
>
> Thanks in advance

NoNoBadDog!

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Do AMD Athlon XP supporting MBRDs utilise dual channel RAM?
>
> I know that P4 based MBRDs do. P4 Quad pumps the FSB. The DDR RAM gets
> that much bits flowing across the bus by dual pumping via the DDR
> feature, and by using the dual channel.
>
> But seems to me that if AMD based MBRDs utilised dual channel, you
> wouldn't have an equal amount of data flowing back and forth.
> Or would it be that the CPU just needs 2 cycles per every one cycle of
> RAM.
>
> I don't know if that's a problem.
>
> Would I lose out putting a single 512MB DDR module into an AMD Athlon
> XP supporting board. As oppose to putting 2*256MB modules ?
>
> I know this isn't really about overclocking, but it's the kind of thing
> you overclockers know about better than anybody.
>
> Thanks in advance

AMD Processors have an on die memory controller that can "talk" to the RAM
at the core frequency of the processor. Intel processors cannot speak
directly to the RAM. Intel procs must go through the Northbridge chip, and
this is the FSB. The AMD system is much more efficient and has bandwidth
greater than that of DDR2. Intel's falsely named "quad pumped" FSB do not
get anywhere near the advertised throughput; for example an FSB advertised
at 800 MHz gets only about 620 MHZ. An FSB advertised at 1033 only gets
slightly more than 800.

If Processor to RAM speed is your primary concern, steer clear of anything
Intel.

Bobby

q_q_anonymous@yahoo.co.uk

NoNoBadDog! wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > Do AMD Athlon XP supporting MBRDs utilise dual channel RAM?
> >
> > I know that P4 based MBRDs do. P4 Quad pumps the FSB. The DDR RAM gets
> > that much bits flowing across the bus by dual pumping via the DDR
> > feature, and by using the dual channel.
> >
> > But seems to me that if AMD based MBRDs utilised dual channel, you
> > wouldn't have an equal amount of data flowing back and forth.
> > Or would it be that the CPU just needs 2 cycles per every one cycle of
> > RAM.
> >
> > I don't know if that's a problem.
> >
> > Would I lose out putting a single 512MB DDR module into an AMD Athlon
> > XP supporting board. As oppose to putting 2*256MB modules ?
> >
> > I know this isn't really about overclocking, but it's the kind of thing
> > you overclockers know about better than anybody.
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >

> AMD Processors have an on die memory controller that can "talk" to the RAM
> at the core frequency of the processor. Intel processors cannot speak
> directly to the RAM. Intel procs must go through the Northbridge chip, and
> this is the FSB. The AMD system is much more efficient and has bandwidth
> greater than that of DDR2. Intel's falsely named "quad pumped" FSB do not
> get anywhere near the advertised throughput; for example an FSB advertised
> at 800 MHz gets only about 620 MHZ. An FSB advertised at 1033 only gets
> slightly more than 800.
>
> If Processor to RAM speed is your primary concern, steer clear of anything
> Intel.
>
> Bobby

AMD Athlon XP also has a northbridge.
Northbridge is not the FSB.
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1...dbusses6cq.jpg [1]

I'd bet that if P4 MBRDs quad pumped is not as efficient as billed, the
same is true of AMD Athlon XP dual pumped.

I do wonder whether just as DDR RAM is known as DDR 266/333/400 (you
don't put MHz in there when talking about effective speed).
Similarly, perhaps one shouldn't put MHz into dual or quad pumped
(effective) FSB speeds. ?

[1]
(taken from howstuffworks motherboard explanation
http://www.howstuffworks.com/motherboard.htm/printable )

Wes Newell

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 22:14:19 -1000, NoNoBadDog! wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Do AMD Athlon XP supporting MBRDs utilise dual channel RAM?

> AMD Processors have an on die memory controller that can "talk" to the RAM
> at the core frequency of the processor. Intel processors cannot speak

Athlon XP's, the subject CPU's in this case, do not have onboard memory
controllers. Only AMD K8 CPU's (socket 754, 939, 940, am2) have onboard
memory controllers.

Adam Stemp

>> Do AMD Athlon XP supporting MBRDs utilise dual channel RAM?
>>

> Some do. Some don't. There's really no need unless you have onboard video
> that uses system ram.
>
>> Would I lose out putting a single 512MB DDR module into an AMD Athlon
>> XP supporting board. As oppose to putting 2*256MB modules ?
>>

> No, you wouldn't lose out. The only exception would be if you had onboard
> video.

Could you please elaborate on this point?