Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Do any wireless routers do DHCP relay besides Airports?

 
 
paris2venice@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-19-2012, 09:43 PM
I have a faculty member who, for some illogical reason, refuses to buy an Apple Airport Express or Extreme simply because he thinks I am biased in favor of Apple. Of course, I am not. I'd rather that any wireless router could do this but many are not capable of passing the DHCP request on to your real DHCP server so that you get a real IP address instead of a private IP.I am required to do this by the campus so I simply conforming to campus policy.

Does anyone know of any current models of wireless routers that do this?

Just for anyone interested, this is how it is done in Airport Utility:

Internet icon > Connection Sharing: Off (Bridge Mode)

Thanks for any help.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
nospam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-19-2012, 10:08 PM
In article
<33280880.1213.1334871787546.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@vbbfj25>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have a faculty member who, for some illogical reason, refuses to buy an
> Apple Airport Express or Extreme simply because he thinks I am biased in
> favor of Apple. Of course, I am not. I'd rather that any wireless router
> could do this but many are not capable of passing the DHCP request on to your
> real DHCP server so that you get a real IP address instead of a private IP.
> I am required to do this by the campus so I simply conforming to campus
> policy.
>
> Does anyone know of any current models of wireless routers that do this?


all of them.

bridge mode is one way but the easiest is connect it lan-lan. make
absolutely sure the dhcp server in the second router is off.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
paris2venice@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-19-2012, 10:24 PM
On Thursday, April 19, 2012 3:08:21 PM UTC-7, nospam wrote:
> In article
> <33280880.1213.1334871787546.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@vbbfj25>,
>
> wrote:
>
> > I have a faculty member who, for some illogical reason, refuses to buy an
> > Apple Airport Express or Extreme simply because he thinks I am biased in
> > favor of Apple. Of course, I am not. I'd rather that any wireless router
> > could do this but many are not capable of passing the DHCP request on to your
> > real DHCP server so that you get a real IP address instead of a private IP.
> > I am required to do this by the campus so I simply conforming to campus
> > policy.
> >
> > Does anyone know of any current models of wireless routers that do this?

>
> all of them.
>
> bridge mode is one way but the easiest is connect it lan-lan. make
> absolutely sure the dhcp server in the second router is off.


What does connect it "lan-lan" mean? And what do you mean, "second router"? Where the "first router" is my subnet's gateway?
 
Reply With Quote
 
nospam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-19-2012, 10:42 PM
In article
<14407241.1825.1334874269963.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@vbbdy9>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > I have a faculty member who, for some illogical reason, refuses to buy an
> > > Apple Airport Express or Extreme simply because he thinks I am biased in
> > > favor of Apple. Of course, I am not. I'd rather that any wireless router
> > > could do this but many are not capable of passing the DHCP request on to
> > > your real DHCP server so that you get a real IP address instead of a private
> > > IP. I am required to do this by the campus so I simply conforming to campus
> > > policy.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know of any current models of wireless routers that do this?

> >
> > all of them.
> >
> > bridge mode is one way but the easiest is connect it lan-lan. make
> > absolutely sure the dhcp server in the second router is off.

>
> What does connect it "lan-lan" mean?


routers have a wan port to connect to the cable/dsl modem and one or
more lan ports for your computers.

what you want to do is *not* use the wan port, but rather connect one
of those lan ports to the rest of the network, which connects to the
lan port of some other router. leave the wan port empty. no bridging or
nat will take place. as i said, be sure dhcp is off.

> And what do you mean, "second router"?


the one you want to buy and connect to your network.

> Where the "first router" is my subnet's gateway?


yes. there's something already in place, isn't there?
 
Reply With Quote
 
JF Mezei
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-20-2012, 01:46 AM
re: question about second router.

DHCP works by sending an ethernet broadcast to all devices on the LAN.
If you have more than one DHCP server on the LAN, then each DHCP server
will respomd to the request with an offer, and the client then deides
which of the 2 offers to accept.

This is why you ony want one DHCP server active on any LAN segment to
ensure that it is the only one answering DHCP requests and distributing
IPs from a single IP pool.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Kevin McMurtrie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-20-2012, 06:29 AM
In article
<33280880.1213.1334871787546.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@vbbfj25>,
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I have a faculty member who, for some illogical reason, refuses to buy an
> Apple Airport Express or Extreme simply because he thinks I am biased in
> favor of Apple. Of course, I am not. I'd rather that any wireless router
> could do this but many are not capable of passing the DHCP request on to your
> real DHCP server so that you get a real IP address instead of a private IP.
> I am required to do this by the campus so I simply conforming to campus
> policy.
>
> Does anyone know of any current models of wireless routers that do this?
>
> Just for anyone interested, this is how it is done in Airport Utility:
>
> Internet icon > Connection Sharing: Off (Bridge Mode)
>
> Thanks for any help.


You're mixing up DHCP and NAT. They're often used together but they can
be independent.

DHCP is giving a computer an available address. It can be local or
public.

NAT is translating one address and port to another, usually so that
multiple local addresses can share one public address.

Bridged mode makes the AP behave like a slow wire. It doesn't perform
any services beyond establishing the WiFi connection. All respectable
access points will have this mode.

DHCP relay allows one DHCP central server to control multiple local
networks. It's not likely what you want to turn on, but most high-end
APs support it.
--
I will not see posts from Google because I must filter them as spam
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jamie Kahn Genet
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-20-2012, 08:35 AM
JF Mezei <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> re: question about second router.
>
> DHCP works by sending an ethernet broadcast to all devices on the LAN.
> If you have more than one DHCP server on the LAN, then each DHCP server
> will respomd to the request with an offer, and the client then deides
> which of the 2 offers to accept.
>
> This is why you ony want one DHCP server active on any LAN segment to
> ensure that it is the only one answering DHCP requests and distributing
> IPs from a single IP pool.


Aye, the OP simply needs to connect any router to the existing network
using one of it's LAN ports (not WAN as others also point out) and
disable DHCP on said router. FYI - many routers handily allow
configuration of the WAN port so it will behave as a normal LAN port.

--
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul Sture
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-20-2012, 03:10 PM
On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 23:29:50 -0700, Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

> In article
> <33280880.1213.1334871787546.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@vbbfj25>,
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> I have a faculty member who, for some illogical reason, refuses to buy
>> an Apple Airport Express or Extreme simply because he thinks I am
>> biased in favor of Apple. Of course, I am not. I'd rather that any
>> wireless router could do this but many are not capable of passing the
>> DHCP request on to your real DHCP server so that you get a real IP
>> address instead of a private IP. I am required to do this by the campus
>> so I simply conforming to campus policy.
>>
>> Does anyone know of any current models of wireless routers that do
>> this?
>>
>> Just for anyone interested, this is how it is done in Airport Utility:
>>
>> Internet icon > Connection Sharing: Off (Bridge Mode)
>>
>> Thanks for any help.

>
> You're mixing up DHCP and NAT. They're often used together but they can
> be independent.
>
> DHCP is giving a computer an available address. It can be local or
> public.
>
> NAT is translating one address and port to another, usually so that
> multiple local addresses can share one public address.
>
> Bridged mode makes the AP behave like a slow wire. It doesn't perform
> any services beyond establishing the WiFi connection. All respectable
> access points will have this mode.
>
> DHCP relay allows one DHCP central server to control multiple local
> networks. It's not likely what you want to turn on, but most high-end
> APs support it.


And this is a feature of Windows Server 2008. You can service all DHCP
request from software, with different ranges for different subnets and so
on.

(Sorry for the interruption. Normal OS X service resumes.)



--
Paul Sture
 
Reply With Quote
 
paris2venice@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-21-2012, 05:48 AM
On Thursday, April 19, 2012 3:42:06 PM UTC-7, nospam wrote:
> In article
> <14407241.1825.1334874269963.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@vbbdy9>,
>
> wrote:
>
> > > > I have a faculty member who, for some illogical reason, refuses to buy an
> > > > Apple Airport Express or Extreme simply because he thinks I am biased in
> > > > favor of Apple. Of course, I am not. I'd rather that any wirelessrouter
> > > > could do this but many are not capable of passing the DHCP request on to
> > > > your real DHCP server so that you get a real IP address instead of a private
> > > > IP. I am required to do this by the campus so I simply conforming to campus
> > > > policy.
> > > >
> > > > Does anyone know of any current models of wireless routers that do this?
> > >
> > > all of them.
> > >
> > > bridge mode is one way but the easiest is connect it lan-lan. make
> > > absolutely sure the dhcp server in the second router is off.

> >
> > What does connect it "lan-lan" mean?

>
> routers have a wan port to connect to the cable/dsl modem and one or
> more lan ports for your computers.
>
> what you want to do is *not* use the wan port, but rather connect one
> of those lan ports to the rest of the network, which connects to the
> lan port of some other router. leave the wan port empty. no bridging or
> nat will take place. as i said, be sure dhcp is off.
>
> > And what do you mean, "second router"?

>
> the one you want to buy and connect to your network.
>
> > Where the "first router" is my subnet's gateway?

>
> yes. there's something already in place, isn't there?


Those last two questions were intended to clarify what you meant and nothing else. However, I do have another question. How do I determine the MAC address of the LAN port that I have connected my cat5 cable? I searched my DHCP server's log file for failures (I deny unknown clients) and didn't getanything resembling the WAN port's MAC address.
 
Reply With Quote
 
paris2venice@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-21-2012, 05:50 AM
On Thursday, April 19, 2012 6:46:54 PM UTC-7, JF Mezei wrote:
> re: question about second router.
>
> DHCP works by sending an ethernet broadcast to all devices on the LAN.
> If you have more than one DHCP server on the LAN, then each DHCP server
> will respomd to the request with an offer, and the client then deides
> which of the 2 offers to accept.
>
> This is why you ony want one DHCP server active on any LAN segment to
> ensure that it is the only one answering DHCP requests and distributing
> IPs from a single IP pool.


Thanks but you misunderstood my question.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DHCP client code not retransmitting DHCP discovery vtanna1@gmail.com Embedded 1 10-09-2008 09:22 PM
OT: wireless routers with DHCP pass-through paris2venice@gmail.com Apple 4 07-27-2008 04:33 PM
Relation between Wireless Networking Cards and Wireless Routers mpk2778@gmail.com Laptops 4 11-10-2006 10:51 PM
Relation between Wireless Networking Cards and Wireless Routers mpk2778@gmail.com Laptops 0 11-09-2006 08:51 PM
Any other way to email support besides web site? BEV Dell 1 10-17-2003 04:42 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:35 AM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment