Do DSL filters wear out?

CJ

My Verizon DSL connection has been acting very badly this past week. I've tested it twice and it's running between 79-80 kbps download and 62 kbps upload. The performance has been horrible from email to web browsing and especially downlaods. This is at 11:30 pm ET. I also tested it on Wednesday at like 7:30 pm ET and got the same results.
I've heard that a bad DSL filter could be the cause of my problem. I've had these DSL filters for approximately a year. Do they wear out after about a year of use? I've got one because my phone line connects into the same outlet as my DSL modem.

Also, in the past two years living in my building I've had people physically steal my phone line and cable line from where it enters my floor. They just took the whole line and plugged it into their apartment. Is it technically possible somebody could have figured out how to leech off my DSL? I do not have a wi-fi connection. I don't know if this means anything, but the "wireless" light is lit up on my DSL modem continuously now. The E1 light flickers every once in a while.

If my other option is paying Verizon to come out, would a new DSL filter be a good thing to do before calling them?

Chris Hill

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 04:27:30 GMT, "CJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My Verizon DSL connection has been acting very badly this past week. I've tested it twice and it's running between 79-80 kbps download and 62 kbps upload. The performance has been horrible from email to web browsing and especially downlaods. This is at 11:30 pm ET. I also tested it on Wednesday at like 7:30 pm ET and got the same results.
>I've heard that a bad DSL filter could be the cause of my problem. I've had these DSL filters for approximately a year. Do they wear out after about a year of use? I've got one because my phone line connects into the same outlet as my DSL modem.
>
>Also, in the past two years living in my building I've had people physically steal my phone line and cable line from where it enters my floor. They just took the whole line and plugged it into their apartment. Is it technically possible somebody could have figured out how to leech off my DSL? I do not have a wi-fi connection. I don't know if this means anything, but the "wireless" light is lit up on my DSL modem continuously now. The E1 light flickers every once in a while.

I'd start by going into the modem's setup and making sure that the
wireless (which it apparently has) is disabled. I'd next unplug my
phone and plug the dsl modem in direct to the phone line and see if
things improve.

CJ

"Chris Hill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 04:27:30 GMT, "CJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>My Verizon DSL connection has been acting very badly this past week. I've
>>tested it twice and it's running between 79-80 kbps download and 62 kbps
>>upload. The performance has been horrible from email to web browsing and
>>especially downlaods. This is at 11:30 pm ET. I also tested it on
>>Wednesday at like 7:30 pm ET and got the same results.
>>I've heard that a bad DSL filter could be the cause of my problem. I've
>>had these DSL filters for approximately a year. Do they wear out after
>>about a year of use? I've got one because my phone line connects into the
>>same outlet as my DSL modem.
>>
>>Also, in the past two years living in my building I've had people
>>physically steal my phone line and cable line from where it enters my
>>floor. They just took the whole line and plugged it into their apartment.
>>Is it technically possible somebody could have figured out how to leech
>>off my DSL? I do not have a wi-fi connection. I don't know if this means
>>anything, but the "wireless" light is lit up on my DSL modem continuously
>>now. The E1 light flickers every once in a while.

> I'd start by going into the modem's setup and making sure that the
> wireless (which it apparently has) is disabled. I'd next unplug my
> phone and plug the dsl modem in direct to the phone line and see if
> things improve.

Ok thanks. I'll at least do the unplugging of the phone. However, since I
have Verizon and their setup done with just their CD, I don't know where to
go to get at the modem's setup. It's a Westall 327W. I've got it connected
to my PC through an Ethernet connection. I went into control panel--Phone
and Modem Options and the modem is not displayed as existing. I also went
into System--Hardware and the modem is also not displayed as existing.
Where do I go to get into the modem's setup to disable the wireless access?
I've also tried the Verizon Online Support Center application they give you
and it does not give you an option to change modem settings, just to change
the actual type of modem to another one.

Pen

"CJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "Chris Hill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 04:27:30 GMT, "CJ"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>My Verizon DSL connection has been acting very badly this
>>>past week. I've tested it twice and it's running between
>>>79-80 kbps download and 62 kbps upload. The performance
>>>has been horrible from email to web browsing and
>>>especially downlaods. This is at 11:30 pm ET. I also
>>>tested it on Wednesday at like 7:30 pm ET and got the
>>>same results.
>>>I've heard that a bad DSL filter could be the cause of my
>>>problem. I've had these DSL filters for approximately a
>>>year. Do they wear out after about a year of use? I've
>>>got one because my phone line connects into the same
>>>outlet as my DSL modem.
>>>
>>>Also, in the past two years living in my building I've
>>>had people physically steal my phone line and cable line
>>>from where it enters my floor. They just took the whole
>>>line and plugged it into their apartment. Is it
>>>technically possible somebody could have figured out how
>>>to leech off my DSL? I do not have a wi-fi connection. I
>>>don't know if this means anything, but the "wireless"
>>>light is lit up on my DSL modem continuously now. The E1
>>>light flickers every once in a while.

>> I'd start by going into the modem's setup and making sure
>> that the
>> wireless (which it apparently has) is disabled. I'd next
>> unplug my
>> phone and plug the dsl modem in direct to the phone line
>> and see if
>> things improve.
>>

> Ok thanks. I'll at least do the unplugging of the phone.
> However, since I have Verizon and their setup done with
> just their CD, I don't know where to go to get at the
> modem's setup. It's a Westall 327W. I've got it connected
> to my PC through an Ethernet connection. I went into
> control panel--Phone and Modem Options and the modem is
> not displayed as existing. I also went into
> System--Hardware and the modem is also not displayed as
> existing.
> Where do I go to get into the modem's setup to disable the
> wireless access? I've also tried the Verizon Online
> Support Center application they give you and it does not
> give you an option to change modem settings, just to
> change the actual type of modem to another one.

Westell support is found here;
http://www.westell.com/pages/index.jsp

CJ

"Pen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "CJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> "Chris Hill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I'd start by going into the modem's setup and making sure that the
>>> wireless (which it apparently has) is disabled. I'd next unplug my
>>> phone and plug the dsl modem in direct to the phone line and see if
>>> things improve.
>>>

>> Ok thanks. I'll at least do the unplugging of the phone. However, since I
>> have Verizon and their setup done with just their CD, I don't know where
>> to go to get at the modem's setup. It's a Westall 327W. I've got it
>> connected to my PC through an Ethernet connection. I went into control
>> panel--Phone and Modem Options and the modem is not displayed as
>> existing. I also went into System--Hardware and the modem is also not
>> displayed as existing.
>> Where do I go to get into the modem's setup to disable the wireless
>> access? I've also tried the Verizon Online Support Center application
>> they give you and it does not give you an option to change modem
>> settings, just to change the actual type of modem to another one.

> Westell support is found here;
> http://www.westell.com/pages/index.jsp

Thanks for the link. I just opened the PDF of their documentation (which
took 10 minutes for a 5.64 MB download). Unfortunately I can't get into the
web page they want me to get into in order to change my settings! I think my
only option is to call Verizon and deal with their customer service.

Could somebody please tell me why, or if, I should be worried that the
Wireless light is lit up constantly? Does that mean somebody is leaching off
my DSL connection even though I do not have a router or any wi-fi
connection?

Arno Wagner

Previously CJ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My Verizon DSL connection has been acting very badly this past
> week. I've tested it twice and it's running between 79-80 kbps
> download and 62 kbps upload. The performance has been horrible from
> email to web browsing and especially downlaods. This is at 11:30 pm
> ET. I also tested it on Wednesday at like 7:30 pm ET and got the
> same results. I've heard that a bad DSL filter could be the cause
> of my problem. I've had these DSL filters for approximately a
> year. Do they wear out after about a year of use? I've got one
> because my phone line connects into the same outlet as my DSL modem.

Very, very unlikely. The only thing that could wear out is
the capacitors, and they are usually long-life ceramics that
should give you several decades or reliable operation. It is
something different if you had a lightening strike. But that
would be damage and not ageing.

> Also, in the past two years living in my building I've had people
> physically steal my phone line and cable line from where it enters my
> floor. They just took the whole line and plugged it into their
> apartment. Is it technically possible somebody could have figured out
> how to leech off my DSL?

Very, very difficult. A governmental intelligence agency may be
able to do that (but they would not have a motive). One thing
that is possible is that somebody tried to steal your line
again, discovert it did not work anymore (the DSL company usually
need to configure for each specific modem on each specific line
with a serial number or the MAC address) and reattached the line
shoddily. Contact problems in the phone line will give you
bad data rates.

> I do not have a wi-fi connection. I don't
> know if this means anything, but the "wireless" light is lit up on my
> DSL modem continuously now.

Interesting. Does your modem support wireless? Then somebody could
indeed be stealing bandwidth that way. You bets turn the wireless
off. Should be in the modem's manual how to do that.

> The E1 light flickers every once in a while.

> If my other option is paying Verizon to come out, would a new DSL
> filter be a good thing to do before calling them?

Very unlikely to help.

Arno

Arno Wagner

Previously CJ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Pen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "CJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Chris Hill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

[...]
>>> Ok thanks. I'll at least do the unplugging of the phone. However, since I
>>> have Verizon and their setup done with just their CD, I don't know where
>>> to go to get at the modem's setup. It's a Westall 327W. I've got it
>>> connected to my PC through an Ethernet connection. I went into control
>>> panel--Phone and Modem Options and the modem is not displayed as
>>> existing. I also went into System--Hardware and the modem is also not
>>> displayed as existing.
>>> Where do I go to get into the modem's setup to disable the wireless
>>> access? I've also tried the Verizon Online Support Center application
>>> they give you and it does not give you an option to change modem
>>> settings, just to change the actual type of modem to another one.

>> Westell support is found here;
>> http://www.westell.com/pages/index.jsp

> Thanks for the link. I just opened the PDF of their documentation (which
> took 10 minutes for a 5.64 MB download). Unfortunately I can't get into the
> web page they want me to get into in order to change my settings! I think my
> only option is to call Verizon and deal with their customer service.

> Could somebody please tell me why, or if, I should be worried that
> the Wireless light is lit up constantly? Does that mean somebody is
> leaching off my DSL connection even though I do not have a router or
> any wi-fi connection?

If the modem has a "wireless" light, it is likely a wireless
base-station. It does not matter whether you use it or not, somebody
else could use it if it is poorely or not secured. It may also act as
a router or your Internet provider may simply hand out more than one
DHCP address per customer.

Arno

CJ

"Arno Wagner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If the modem has a "wireless" light, it is likely a wireless

> base-station. It does not matter whether you use it or not, somebody
> else could use it if it is poorely or not secured. It may also act as
> a router or your Internet provider may simply hand out more than one
> DHCP address per customer.

Thanks a lot for that explanation, and the other post too. I think my only
option at this point is to call Verizon and complain. I can't access the web
page to change the settings on my modem at all, so I think I'll have to
depend on their customer service (and pay for it when they come out of
course).
I did the speed test again this evening at 8:50 pm ET and again the DL speed
was 80 kbps with an upload speed of 62 kbps. This is from a server a few
miles away from me in DC.

Pen

"Arno Wagner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Previously CJ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "Pen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "CJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> [...]
>>> Westell support is found here;
>>> http://www.westell.com/pages/index.jsp

>> Thanks for the link. I just opened the PDF of their
>> documentation (which
>> took 10 minutes for a 5.64 MB download). Unfortunately I
>> can't get into the
>> web page they want me to get into in order to change my
>> settings! I think my
>> only option is to call Verizon and deal with their
>> customer service.

>> Could somebody please tell me why, or if, I should be
>> worried that
>> the Wireless light is lit up constantly? Does that mean
>> somebody is
>> leaching off my DSL connection even though I do not have
>> a router or
>> any wi-fi connection?

> If the modem has a "wireless" light, it is likely a
> wireless
> base-station. It does not matter whether you use it or
> not, somebody
> else could use it if it is poorely or not secured. It may
> also act as
> a router or your Internet provider may simply hand out
> more than one
> DHCP address per customer.
>
> Arno

A st6eady light means wireless is enabled. A flashing light
indicates wireless traffic. Have you done the setup
procedure
in the manual? Should be easy to change the setup and
turn off the wireless.

CJ

"Pen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Arno Wagner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Previously CJ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> "Pen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> [...]

>>> Thanks for the link. I just opened the PDF of their documentation (which
>>> took 10 minutes for a 5.64 MB download). Unfortunately I can't get into
>>> the
>>> web page they want me to get into in order to change my settings! I
>>> think my
>>> only option is to call Verizon and deal with their customer service.

>>> Could somebody please tell me why, or if, I should be worried that
>>> the Wireless light is lit up constantly? Does that mean somebody is
>>> leaching off my DSL connection even though I do not have a router or
>>> any wi-fi connection?

>> If the modem has a "wireless" light, it is likely a wireless
>> base-station. It does not matter whether you use it or not, somebody
>> else could use it if it is poorely or not secured. It may also act as
>> a router or your Internet provider may simply hand out more than one
>> DHCP address per customer.
>>
>> Arno

> A st6eady light means wireless is enabled. A flashing light
> indicates wireless traffic. Have you done the setup procedure
> in the manual? Should be easy to change the setup and
> turn off the wireless.

Unfortunately the setup procedure is online apparently and I can't get into
the web site for the setup procedure. I have seen the flashing wireless
light recently so it seems I may be getting leached off of for my DSL. I'm
just going to break down and call Verizon and have them come out. I should
be paying for 80 kbps DL and 62 kbps upload speeds even in the middle of the
night, that's just horrendous.