How do I fix problems detected by sfc?

Yolanda Villa

Motion 1200. Okay, I've been having some miscellaneous problems lately, I so
followed the suggestion I've seen here a few times to run sfc /scannow. Sure
enough, I must have some corrupted system files, because I got the message
saying files were needed, and asking me to put in my system CD.

Now what do I do, as of course I don't have a system disk, just the recovery
disk supplied by Motion? (I thought about trying to use a regular XP disk,
but I don't even have XP Pro on my desktop, just Home. And what if it's a
specifically Tablet related file(s) that's the problem?)

Previously, I tried to do a system restore, to several different restore
points, but each time I got the error message that a restore could not be
done, and that no changes were made. So that's not an alternative either.

What to do?

Chris H.

You could try from the Command Prompt, running the same "sfc /scannow"
instruction and point the repair to the C:\WINDOWS\I386 folder where the cab
files and other system files reside. OEM "fix it" CDs don't work very well
in this situation.

What happened, what errors are you seeing, and have you tried using a
Restore Point from System Restore to go to a point prior to the errors?
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"Yolanda Villa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Motion 1200. Okay, I've been having some miscellaneous problems lately, I

so
> followed the suggestion I've seen here a few times to run sfc /scannow.

Sure
> enough, I must have some corrupted system files, because I got the message
> saying files were needed, and asking me to put in my system CD.
>
> Now what do I do, as of course I don't have a system disk, just the

recovery
> disk supplied by Motion? (I thought about trying to use a regular XP disk,
> but I don't even have XP Pro on my desktop, just Home. And what if it's a
> specifically Tablet related file(s) that's the problem?)
>
> Previously, I tried to do a system restore, to several different restore
> points, but each time I got the error message that a restore could not be
> done, and that no changes were made. So that's not an alternative either.
>
> What to do?

Yolanda Villa

As I said in my original post, I tried system restore first, and it won't
work--and I even tried at numerous restore points.

How do I point sfc to the I386 folder? I don't know the syntax, if that's
possible to do when running from a command prompt. It sure didn't give me a
chance to do that when run from "run". That's why I wrote here asking for
help.

"Chris H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You could try from the Command Prompt, running the same "sfc /scannow"
> instruction and point the repair to the C:\WINDOWS\I386 folder where the

cab
> files and other system files reside. OEM "fix it" CDs don't work very

well
> in this situation.
>
> What happened, what errors are you seeing, and have you tried using a
> Restore Point from System Restore to go to a point prior to the errors?
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Tablet PC Universe - www.tabletpcuniverse.net
> Tablet PC Chat - http://thetabletpc.net/support.htm
> Associate Expert
>
> "Yolanda Villa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Motion 1200. Okay, I've been having some miscellaneous problems lately,

> so
> > followed the suggestion I've seen here a few times to run sfc /scannow.

> Sure
> > enough, I must have some corrupted system files, because I got the

message
> > saying files were needed, and asking me to put in my system CD.
> >
> > Now what do I do, as of course I don't have a system disk, just the

> recovery
> > disk supplied by Motion? (I thought about trying to use a regular XP

disk,
> > but I don't even have XP Pro on my desktop, just Home. And what if it's

> > specifically Tablet related file(s) that's the problem?)
> >
> > Previously, I tried to do a system restore, to several different restore
> > points, but each time I got the error message that a restore could not

be
> > done, and that no changes were made. So that's not an alternative

either.

> > What to do?

Chris H.

If you run from the Command Prompt (not Start/Run), I believe if it finds
errors it may ask for the location of the replacement files. That's when
you can point it to the directory I cited. I believe. I haven't run it on
my Tablets, and the OEM software (depending on manufacturer) has different
methods. You might want to continue contacting the Motion support folks.
They're usually pretty responsive.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
Associate Expert

"Yolanda Villa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> As I said in my original post, I tried system restore first, and it won't
> work--and I even tried at numerous restore points.
>
> How do I point sfc to the I386 folder? I don't know the syntax, if that's
> possible to do when running from a command prompt. It sure didn't give me

> chance to do that when run from "run". That's why I wrote here asking for
> help.
>
> "Chris H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > You could try from the Command Prompt, running the same "sfc /scannow"
> > instruction and point the repair to the C:\WINDOWS\I386 folder where the

> cab
> > files and other system files reside. OEM "fix it" CDs don't work very

> well
> > in this situation.
> >
> > What happened, what errors are you seeing, and have you tried using a
> > Restore Point from System Restore to go to a point prior to the errors?
> > --
> > Chris H.
> > Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> > Tablet PC Universe - www.tabletpcuniverse.net
> > Tablet PC Chat - http://thetabletpc.net/support.htm
> > Associate Expert
> > Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >
> > "Yolanda Villa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Motion 1200. Okay, I've been having some miscellaneous problems

lately,
> > so
> > > followed the suggestion I've seen here a few times to run sfc

/scannow.
> > Sure
> > > enough, I must have some corrupted system files, because I got the

> message
> > > saying files were needed, and asking me to put in my system CD.
> > >
> > > Now what do I do, as of course I don't have a system disk, just the

> > recovery
> > > disk supplied by Motion? (I thought about trying to use a regular XP

> disk,
> > > but I don't even have XP Pro on my desktop, just Home. And what if

it's
> > > specifically Tablet related file(s) that's the problem?)
> > >
> > > Previously, I tried to do a system restore, to several different

restore
> > > points, but each time I got the error message that a restore could not

> be
> > > done, and that no changes were made. So that's not an alternative

> either.
> > >
> > > What to do?

Yolanda Villa

Thanks Chris, but no luck. Tried from command prompt, and again it gives me
no opportunity to do anything but insert system CD. Guess I'll have to call
Motion, if there's no way to point the repair process to my c drive.

"Chris H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you run from the Command Prompt (not Start/Run), I believe if it finds
> errors it may ask for the location of the replacement files. That's when
> you can point it to the directory I cited. I believe. I haven't run it

on
> my Tablets, and the OEM software (depending on manufacturer) has different
> methods. You might want to continue contacting the Motion support folks.
> They're usually pretty responsive.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Tablet PC Universe - www.tabletpcuniverse.net
> Tablet PC Chat - http://thetabletpc.net/support.htm
> Associate Expert
>
> "Yolanda Villa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > As I said in my original post, I tried system restore first, and it

won't
> > work--and I even tried at numerous restore points.
> >
> > How do I point sfc to the I386 folder? I don't know the syntax, if

that's
> > possible to do when running from a command prompt. It sure didn't give

me
> > chance to do that when run from "run". That's why I wrote here asking

for
> > help.
> >
> > "Chris H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > You could try from the Command Prompt, running the same "sfc /scannow"
> > > instruction and point the repair to the C:\WINDOWS\I386 folder where

the
> > cab
> > > files and other system files reside. OEM "fix it" CDs don't work very

> > well
> > > in this situation.
> > >
> > > What happened, what errors are you seeing, and have you tried using a
> > > Restore Point from System Restore to go to a point prior to the

errors?
> > > --
> > > Chris H.
> > > Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> > > Tablet PC Universe - www.tabletpcuniverse.net
> > > Tablet PC Chat - http://thetabletpc.net/support.htm
> > > Associate Expert
> > > Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> > >
> > > "Yolanda Villa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> lately,
> > > so

> /scannow.
> > > Sure

> > message

> > > recovery

> > disk,

> it's

> restore

not
> > be

> > either.

Chris H.

Drat! Yes, I would contact Motion. They're actually quite good with
helping. I'd be curious to hear what they suggest, if you don't mind
posting back once they get it fixed for you.
--

Chris H.

Cool, Cliff. Hope it works for Yolanda.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
Associate Expert

"Cliff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Disk #1 of the Motion Recovery Disk set is XP Pro, Disk #2 is the Tablet
> PC specific component sub folder. Insert disk #1 into the CD drive and if
> the disk auto starts just exit at the menu or close it down. At the
> start-run option of the desktop key in sfc /scannow and during its
> operation it will look at the CD for the files it needs. I have noted
> that the process takes a rather long time and that if the dll files it
> wants are on Disk #2 it does not prompt for the disk. I believe that the
> SFC only corrects for the basic operating system.
>

> Yolanda Villa wrote:
>

> > Motion 1200. Okay, I've been having some miscellaneous problems lately,

I so
> > followed the suggestion I've seen here a few times to run sfc /scannow.

Sure
> > enough, I must have some corrupted system files, because I got the

message
> > saying files were needed, and asking me to put in my system CD.

> > Now what do I do, as of course I don't have a system disk, just the

recovery
> > disk supplied by Motion? (I thought about trying to use a regular XP

disk,
> > but I don't even have XP Pro on my desktop, just Home. And what if it's

> > specifically Tablet related file(s) that's the problem?)

> > Previously, I tried to do a system restore, to several different restore
> > points, but each time I got the error message that a restore could not

be
> > done, and that no changes were made. So that's not an alternative

either.

> > What to do?

Chris H.

Thanks, Cliff, for hopping in here with the info. I thought the situation
sounded familiar, but couldn't put my finger on it. 8-)
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
Associate Expert

"Cliff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I hope so too Chris. It was your idea, I just analyzed the disks last
> time you suggested the SFC fix to me.

Yolanda Villa

Okay, thanks Cliff.

First I tried burning my C:/I386 directory to a CD. That didn't work, just
got the message I had the wrong CD. Then I tried calling Motion, but the
tech support person I got wasn't aware we didn't get a regular XP system
disk, and said he'd have to research my issue and would call back. What he
wanted me to do was a complete re-install from the recovery disks though.
Horrors! (Unless absolutely necessary).

So then I saw and tried your suggestion. It sure did take forever, and I had
to keep hitting "retry" whenever the process got to a point it wanted to
copy another file; I must have hit retry literally 100 times or so. But, it
did go all the way through. No messages when done though, like "system files
repaired" or anything like that. Is that normal do you think? Should there
be a log somewhere I can go and look at, to find out what actually needed
repair?

Anyway, now I'll just have to wait and watch for a while, to see if my
original problems have resolved or not. I didn't even go into them
here--it's such a long, involved story!

"Cliff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Disk #1 of the Motion Recovery Disk set is XP Pro, Disk #2 is the Tablet
> PC specific component sub folder. Insert disk #1 into the CD drive and if
> the disk auto starts just exit at the menu or close it down. At the
> start-run option of the desktop key in sfc /scannow and during its
> operation it will look at the CD for the files it needs. I have noted
> that the process takes a rather long time and that if the dll files it
> wants are on Disk #2 it does not prompt for the disk. I believe that the
> SFC only corrects for the basic operating system.
>

> Yolanda Villa wrote:
>

> > Motion 1200. Okay, I've been having some miscellaneous problems lately,

I so
> > followed the suggestion I've seen here a few times to run sfc /scannow.

Sure
> > enough, I must have some corrupted system files, because I got the

message
> > saying files were needed, and asking me to put in my system CD.

> > Now what do I do, as of course I don't have a system disk, just the

recovery
> > disk supplied by Motion? (I thought about trying to use a regular XP

disk,
> > but I don't even have XP Pro on my desktop, just Home. And what if it's

> > specifically Tablet related file(s) that's the problem?)

> > Previously, I tried to do a system restore, to several different restore
> > points, but each time I got the error message that a restore could not

be
> > done, and that no changes were made. So that's not an alternative

either.

> > What to do?

Chris H.

What was the original issue, Yolanda?