How do I get 3gigs out of 3gigs worth of chips?

mm

How do I get 3gigs out of 3gigs worth of chips?

When all 4 slots are full, it always shows one slot as empty, and a
second slot as 512 instead of 1 gig!! It varies which slots those
are.

Hi, me again. With my friend's Dell 4600, running an almost fresh
install of XP Pro. The BIOS, under Memory Information, shows what I
have at the bottom.^^

It had two 512Kb DDRs in its 4 slots, and I decided I wanted more
memory.

I bought 2 1G DDRs****, and put them, without removing the ones that
were there, in the empty slots, the second bank, bank 1, but it showed
only 2GB total, not 3G like one would expect.

For one thing, with all four slots filled, with 512 in 1 and 2 and 1G
in 3 and 4, slot 3 showed 512 and slot 4 showed empty. With a later
arrangement slot 3 showed empty.

So I rearranged them so the bigger ones were in the DDR1 and 3, and
the old ones were in DDR2 and 4. No change in the total!!

At every step, I ran Memtest86** and usually Belarc Advisor for more
info than just the total. They always agreed.

**Option c (configuration) / option 5 (Show DMI Memory Information -
by slot)

(Columns below are written for fixed-width fonts. In Agent, with
default font settings, clicking on Reply changes the font from
variable-width to fixed width.)

So I started at the beginning, starting with one of the new DIMMs and
adding the other one and then each of the olds ones after each ----
line:
| What Memtest and
size slot What shows in Memtest and Belarc| Belarc call the slots
1G DDR1 1024M | Ch A DIMM 0
----

1G 1 1024 A 0
1G 2 1024 Total 2048 B 0
----

1G 1 512 A 0
1G 2 1024 B 0
512 3 empty Total 1536 A 1
----

1G 1 512 A 0
1G 2 1024 B 0
512 3 empty A 1
512 4 512 Total 2048 B 1

However it's not as simple as blaming slot 3 because when I first did
this, with 512 in 1 and 2 and 1G in 3 and 4, slot 3 showed 512 and
slot 4 showed empty.

The first two levels of installing DIMMS seem to make clear that DDR1
is Ch A, DIMM 0; and DDR2 is Ch B, DIMM 0; and the others follow
logically from that, but I still see this as a possible source of part
of my confusion.

I ran Memtest through two full passes for the two 1G chips and they
had no errors.
I ran Memtest through two full passes for the two 512M chips and they
had no errors.
I didn't think it was worth running Memtest with all 4 chips in place,
because it always shows one slot as empty, and a second slot as 512
instead of 1 gig.

Are all my DIMMs good?

What should I do to get 3 Gigs to show up?

Is it true that XP can't recognize more than 3.5 gigs, and sometimes
not more than 3? Regardless, I still want my 3!

**** P.S.
My old DIMMs are Dell factory Hynix 512M DDR 333 CL2.5 pc2700, and
my new DIMMs are used Crucial 1GB DDR 333 CL2.5 pc2700u-25331-z

^^I can't change any of these, except the last:
Installed System Memory, various values
but never more than 2048M DDR SDRAM.
System Memory Speed 333 MHz
System Memory Channel Single
AGP Aperture 128M
(Could change it to 32, 64, or 256)

Thanks for any help you can give me!

mm

BTW, the four lights on the back of the computer are all green.

And all the chips are well installed. The first 3 go Click when the
bottom part is pushed in, and again Click when the top spot is pushed
in. The fourth one never does that -- it just pushes in slowly -- but
for all four DIMMs the levers at each end are all the way up, so that
the "prong" on the top of each one is in the notch at the end of the
DIMM.

And I redid the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th setup in the details below, and got
the same results. With slot 1 showing 512 when a couple minutes
earlier it showed 1024 and I didnt' move it in between. and with slot
3 showing as empty even though that's one that clicked into place at
both ends, pushing the levers at the ends up, into the notches.

It always boots and it always runs, with whatever configuration I've
used.

And the board is rated for 4 gigs, a gig in each slot, and indeed,
with oonly two 1-gig chips, it shows 2 gigs. Addign the 512 makes one
of the gigs show up as 512!

Also, DDR1 and 2 have white levers, DDR3 and 4 have black levers.
Right?

The manual, which I think was wrong when it clearly implied all 4600
have hyper-threading, says:

Architecture Dual Channel DDR SDRAM ^^^
Memory connectors Four
Memory capacities 128-, 256-, 512-MB or 1-GB
Minimum memory 128-MB DDR SDRAM
NOTE: Between 32 and 64 MB of system memory may be
allocated to support graphics, depending on system memory size
and other factors.
Maximum memory 4 GB [4 gigs!!!]
Memory type PC2700 (333-MHz) or PC3200 (400-MHz) DDR
SDRAM (non-ECC)

^^^ Here it says dual, but in the Bios it says:
"System Memory Channel Single". So how can I get dual?

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 00:34:09 -0500, mm <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> [...]
>of my confusion.
>
>I ran Memtest through two full passes for the two 1G chips and they
>had no errors.
>I ran Memtest through two full passes for the two 512M chips and they
>had no errors.
>I didn't think it was worth running Memtest with all 4 chips in place,
>because it always shows one slot as empty, and a second slot as 512
>instead of 1 gig.
>
>Are all my DIMMs good?
>
>What should I do to get 3 Gigs to show up?
>
>Is it true that XP can't recognize more than 3.5 gigs, and sometimes
>not more than 3? Regardless, I still want my 3!
>
>**** P.S.
>My old DIMMs are Dell factory Hynix 512M DDR 333 CL2.5 pc2700, and
> my new DIMMs are used Crucial 1GB DDR 333 CL2.5 pc2700u-25331-z
>
>^^I can't change any of these, except the last:

Bob Villa

On Dec 11, 11:34*pm, mm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> How do I get 3gigs out of 3gigs worth of chips?

Excuse me if this is an off-the-wall statement...I thought this was
either/or, not both situation. You use DDR (2 sticks) or DDR2(2
sticks)?
(2 Gb should be more than satisfactory for XP Pro, and you will always
be limited by your FSB speed)

Junior Member

There are many different reasons, but the big thing depends on the age of your motherboard. Have you checked the manufacturer's website to see what the max amount of memory is that the board can handle? It could be that the board is only capable of going up to 2GB of RAM. The other thing is that one of the sticks of memory is damaged. Do you have a smaller stick that you know works that you can put in just to check? Something like either a 128MB or 256MB. If it comes out to 2.12 or 2.25GB, then you know that one of the sticks are bad. Barring that, then chances are the motherboard is damaged, and if you have what you said you have, then I'm not too surprised. Just give a quick look on eBay and you'll find what you're looking for.

mm

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 04:33:30 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Dec 11, 11:34*pm, mm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> How do I get 3gigs out of 3gigs worth of chips?
>>

>Excuse me if this is an off-the-wall statement...I thought this was
>either/or, not both situation. You use DDR (2 sticks) or DDR2(2
>sticks)?

DDR2 is not involved. Where I talk about DDR1, 2, 3, and 4, that's
because the Dell owners manual refers to the slots that way, and there
are 4 DIMM slots. Both Memtest and Belarc refer to them as A0, B0,
A1, and B1.

This computer, the Dell 9600, only takes DDR.

It has four slots and will take up to 1 gig in each slot, it says.
And the first two slots do accept one gig each and correctly recognize
2 gigs. But I already have two 512Meg, so I bought two 1-gig sticks
for a total of 4 sticks and 3gig.

But when all four are used, it doesn't recognize fully one of the new
sticks, and it doesn't recognize at all one of the old sticks. I lose
512 meg in each case, so instead of 3 gig, I only have 2 gig. <great
sobbing>

>(2 Gb should be more than satisfactory for XP Pro, and you will always
>be limited by your FSB speed)

Yes 2 gig is enough to run XP pro, but more RAM usually has
advantages, more windows can be open, more tabs can be open in the
browser, less swapping goes on. That's why some people with newer
mobos than mine have 8 gigs, even though that's far more than is
needed to run 7.

And I've paid for my 3 gigs already, so I want them to work.

Bob Villa

I thought this was a 4600 (which I think is DDR2) and now you mention
a 9600?

Ben Myers

On 12/12/2010 3:21 AM, mm wrote:
> [...]
>> of my confusion.
>>
>> I ran Memtest through two full passes for the two 1G chips and they
>> had no errors.
>> I ran Memtest through two full passes for the two 512M chips and they
>> had no errors.
>> I didn't think it was worth running Memtest with all 4 chips in place,
>> because it always shows one slot as empty, and a second slot as 512
>> instead of 1 gig.
>>
>> Are all my DIMMs good?
>>
>> What should I do to get 3 Gigs to show up?
>>
>> Is it true that XP can't recognize more than 3.5 gigs, and sometimes
>> not more than 3? Regardless, I still want my 3!
>>
>> **** P.S.
>> My old DIMMs are Dell factory Hynix 512M DDR 333 CL2.5 pc2700, and
>> my new DIMMs are used Crucial 1GB DDR 333 CL2.5 pc2700u-25331-z
>>
>> ^^I can't change any of these, except the last:

With 4th DIMM socket not clicking firmly when a DIMM is installed, I
suspect a defective socket is the problem.

3GB is excellent for XP, especially for photo editing and any app using
very large data sets. No point in going above 3GB due to P4
architecture and 32-bit addressing limitations... Ben Myers

mm

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 12:42:29 -0500, Ben Myers <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> [...]
>>> in 3 and 4, slot 3 showed 512 and slot 4 showed empty. With a later
>>> arrangement slot 3 showed empty.
>>>
>>> So I rearranged them so the bigger ones were in the DDR1 and 3, and
>>> the old ones were in DDR2 and 4. No change in the total!!
>>>
>>> At every step, I ran Memtest86** and usually Belarc Advisor for more
>>> info than just the total. They always agreed.
>>>
>>> **Option c (configuration) / option 5 (Show DMI Memory Information -
>>> by slot)
>>>
>>> (Columns below are written for fixed-width fonts. In Agent, with
>>> default font settings, clicking on Reply changes the font from
>>> variable-width to fixed width.)
>>>
>>> So I started at the beginning, starting with one of the new DIMMs and
>>> adding the other one and then each of the olds ones after each ----
>>> line:
>>> size slot What shows in Memtest and Belarc| Belarc call the slots

>>> 1G 2 1024 B 0
>>> 512 3 empty Total 1536 A 1
>>> ----
>>>
>>> 1G 1 512 A 0
>>> 1G 2 1024 B 0
>>> 512 3 empty A 1
>>> 512 4 512 Total 2048 B 1
>>>
>>> However it's not as simple as blaming slot 3 because when I first did
>>> this, with 512 in 1 and 2 and 1G in 3 and 4, slot 3 showed 512 and
>>> slot 4 showed empty.
>>>

>>> The first two levels of installing DIMMS seem to make clear that DDR1
>>> is Ch A, DIMM 0; and DDR2 is Ch B, DIMM 0; and the others follow
>>> logically from that, but I still see this as a possible source of part
>>> of my confusion.
>>>
>>> I ran Memtest through two full passes for the two 1G chips and they
>>> had no errors.
>>> I ran Memtest through two full passes for the two 512M chips and they
>>> had no errors.
>>> I didn't think it was worth running Memtest with all 4 chips in place,
>>> because it always shows one slot as empty, and a second slot as 512
>>> instead of 1 gig.
>>>
>>> Are all my DIMMs good?
>>>
>>> What should I do to get 3 Gigs to show up?
>>>
>>> Is it true that XP can't recognize more than 3.5 gigs, and sometimes
>>> not more than 3? Regardless, I still want my 3!
>>>
>>> **** P.S.
>>> My old DIMMs are Dell factory Hynix 512M DDR 333 CL2.5 pc2700, and
>>> my new DIMMs are used Crucial 1GB DDR 333 CL2.5 pc2700u-25331-z
>>>
>>> ^^I can't change any of these, except the last:
>>> Installed System Memory, various values
>>> but never more than 2048M DDR SDRAM.
>>> System Memory Speed 333 MHz
>>> System Memory Channel Single
>>> AGP Aperture 128M
>>> (Could change it to 32, 64, or 256)
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help you can give me!

>With 4th DIMM socket not clicking firmly when a DIMM is installed, I
>suspect a defective socket is the problem.
>
>3GB is excellent for XP, especially for photo editing and any app using
>very large data sets. No point in going above 3GB due to P4
>architecture and 32-bit addressing limitations...

Okay. I thought that was what I read somewhere.

>Ben Myers

But even when I use only the first three slots, it doesn't work. And
the first slot that was working right only shows half of what it has.

It shows slot 3 as if it's empty and slot 1 as if it had only 512. So
it doesn't show 2 1/2 gig. It shows 1.5 gig.

This is with three sticks:
| What Memtest and
size slot What shows in Memtest and Belarc| Belarc call the slots

1G DDR1 512 CH A DIMM 0
1G 2 1024 B 0
512 3 empty A 1
Slot 4 actually empty

Total 1536

Thanks.

mm

I thought I sent this already. It's sort of moot now, but not quite.
:-)

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 08:27:29 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I thought this was a 4600 (which I think is DDR2) and now you mention
>a 9600?

You're right. I meant to repeat that it was a 4600. I confused it
with a video card maybe.

But you're wrong that 4600 is DDR2. It's 6 or 7 years old and didn't
use that.

Bob Villa

On Dec 12, 10:30*pm, mm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I thought I sent this already. *It's sort of moot now, but not quite.
> *:-)
>
> On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 08:27:29 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >I thought this was a 4600 (which I think is DDR2) and now you mention
> >a 9600?

> You're right. *I meant to repeat that it was a 4600. *I confused it
> with a video card maybe.
>
> But you're wrong that 4600 is DDR2. It's 6 or 7 years old and didn't
> use that.

That unit was SATA capable...I guess that's were I was confused.