How do I get a Windows program to show up when I select "open with"?

Gary

I have a Windows text editor program (KEDIT) that I prefer over any of
my Mac programs. So it's installed on Windows 7 under VMWare Fusion.

When I right-click on a file in Finder, I am given the choice to "Open
with…". But my Windows editor doesn't show up there.

How can I get the editor into that list?

Michael Vilain

In article <4fb781f0$0$54683$c3e8da3$(E-Mail Removed) om>,
Gary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have a Windows text editor program (KEDIT) that I prefer over any of
> my Mac programs. So it's installed on Windows 7 under VMWare Fusion.
>
> When I right-click on a file in Finder, I am given the choice to "Open
> withŠ". But my Windows editor doesn't show up there.
>
> How can I get the editor into that list?

Don't know if you can do this with Fusion, but that's a feature of
Parallels Desktop. When you build a Winodws VM, you can create links to
Winodws apps that can be associated with a file type through the
Finder's "Open with" feature. I don't know if Fusion has this.

Alan Browne

On 2012-05-19 07:20 , Gary wrote:
> I have a Windows text editor program (KEDIT) that I prefer over any of
> my Mac programs. So it's installed on Windows 7 under VMWare Fusion.
>
> When I right-click on a file in Finder, I am given the choice to "Open
> with…". But my Windows editor doesn't show up there.
>
> How can I get the editor into that list?

In settings under "Applications" -> "Default Applications"

- check the box "Open your Mac files..."
- then configure it

--
"A person with a new idea is a crank until the idea succeeds."
-Samuel Clemens.