How do I identify an older mobo?

gt

The warranty sticker had this information: 045037--00000 09/23/99.
I think it might be a super 7 board but I'm not sure. It has a AMD k6
3D proc installed with one stick of a no name brand 64 MB SIM. We need
to know what type of memory the board can take. Any help or advice
would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Matt

gt wrote:
> The warranty sticker had this information: 045037--00000 09/23/99.
> I think it might be a super 7 board but I'm not sure. It has a AMD k6
> 3D proc installed with one stick of a no name brand 64 MB SIM. We need
> to know what type of memory the board can take. Any help or advice
> would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

When you boot, the BIOS will print an ID string. Google for that string
and you will be led to the board's make and model and eventually to a
user manual that you can download.

gt

Hi Matt, thanks for the reply. Where and how soon after boot does it
show the string? That way I know when to press the pause button.
Thanks.

Matt wrote:
> gt wrote:
> > The warranty sticker had this information: 045037--00000 09/23/99.
> > I think it might be a super 7 board but I'm not sure. It has a AMD k6
> > 3D proc installed with one stick of a no name brand 64 MB SIM. We need
> > to know what type of memory the board can take. Any help or advice
> > would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.
> >

> When you boot, the BIOS will print an ID string. Google for that string
> and you will be led to the board's make and model and eventually to a
> user manual that you can download.

gt

Hey Mat I found out it is a Super 7 Soyo 5SSM board with SIS 530
Chipset. The manual says that it supports SDRAM and EDO memory
modules, but it doesn't say what speed (Pc100, etc.) It can only take
256mb in each slot up to 768mb total. Any recommendations? Thanks
again.

gt wrote:
> Hey Mat I found out it is a Super 7 Soyo 5SSM board with SIS 530
> Chipset. The manual says that it supports SDRAM and EDO memory
> modules, but it doesn't say what speed (Pc100, etc.)

That would be unusual.

> It can only take
> 256mb in each slot up to 768mb total. Any recommendations? Thanks
> again.

Unless I am wrong, you are not going for bleeding edge performance. I
expect it will take any old non-DDR SDRAM. Put in anything you have or
can scrounge. I wouldn't buy any new RAM for it. Possibly you can find
some cheap on ebay but buying used computer stuff on ebay tends to be
problemmatic.

Is it an ATX board?

gt

No it is a micro atx board. Unfortunately I don't have any computers
to scrounge from but I warned them ahead of time that they would pay a
little more for old memory.

farmuse

try hardocp or pcper forums, google to find them. the forum members
are good traders usually, just bought 2x 128 PC133 CAS 2 for $15
shipped. ebay is okay, but the forum members of those web sites are more
computer savy and are more likely to ask decent prices and they are more
likely to handle the ram modules properly ie no static. good luck.

gt wrote:
> No it is a micro atx board. Unfortunately I don't have any computers
> to scrounge from but I warned them ahead of time that they would pay a
> little more for old memory.

gt

Does Soyo recommend a certain memory manufactuer for their boards?
I've gone to Kingston, Corsair, Micron, Crucial, and Wintech, but
Crucial is the only one that actualy matched a module to the specific
motherboard model as being guarranteed to work. Thanks for the
suggestions farmuse.

farmuse

I have used modules based on Samsung chips with success, and all
the old micron stuff is usually a good choice. be aware that the K6 2
cannot cache more than 256 MB ram if I am not mistaken. sure, you can
put 768 in there, but the cpu cannot effectively use or cache more than
256. the K6 III can cache 512.

gt wrote:
> Does Soyo recommend a certain memory manufactuer for their boards?
> I've gone to Kingston, Corsair, Micron, Crucial, and Wintech, but
> Crucial is the only one that actualy matched a module to the specific
> motherboard model as being guarranteed to work. Thanks for the
> suggestions farmuse.

gt

I'm not sure which K6 it is for sure. It is listed as K6 3D processor
in the system properties. Against my advice I think they went to a
computer repair place in town because they told them they could put
memory in for $39. I don't know what make or model. I think they also
got a worm because they cannot access their system properties. It says
access denied to device, file, or path. Windows 98 doesn't have any
permissions that I know of. But they were surfing with No protection,
which I warned them against. Anyway, thanks for your help guys.

Help identify motherboard SL Abit 3 02-23-2005 09:45 PM
Any Software that Can Identify, Diagnose RAM on a BH6? BobbytheBrain Abit 3 01-03-2005 03:09 PM
Help identify wierd reboot/crash problem ... ZigZag Master Abit 17 04-25-2004 03:40 AM
Identify USB pins on MX64 Tom Young AOpen 1 09-03-2003 01:58 PM
Older Mac OS versions and older Macs maron Apple 8 07-29-2003 02:13 AM