How do you reset Spotlight?

-oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-

A lot of stuff is missing, how do you make Spotlight make a new index?

David Fritzinger

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
"-oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> A lot of stuff is missing, how do you make Spotlight make a new index?

I'm not sure, but if you go to the spotlight preference pane, you should
be able to check all the items you want displayed. Then, Spotlight
should automatically index you hard drive(s).

--
Dave Fritzinger
Honolulu, HI

Heath Raftery

In comp.sys.mac.system -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo- <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> A lot of stuff is missing, how do you make Spotlight make a new index?

I'm sure I read somewhere recently actually, the way to do
this is to add your entire hard drive to the "Ignore" list
in Spotlight preferences, and then remove it.

--
*--------------------------------------------------------*
| ^Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool^ |

Jerry

-oo0-GoldTrader-0oo- wrote:
> A lot of stuff is missing, how do you make Spotlight make a new index?

Try: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/26973
Jerry

John Rethorst

In article <d7oqmk$4su$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Heath Raftery <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm sure I read somewhere recently actually, the way to do
> this is to add your entire hard drive to the "Ignore" list
> in Spotlight preferences, and then remove it.

This works. There are also terminal commands, but this is as easy as anything.

--
John Rethorst
jrethorst at post dot com

J Stewart

In article <d7pfn6$75p$(E-Mail Removed)>, Jerry
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > A lot of stuff is missing, how do you make Spotlight make a new index?
> >

> Try: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/26973
> Jerry

In terminal -

sudo mdutil -E /

This will delete the existing index and cause Spotlight to re-index
your startup drive in the background. You can also re-index other
drives by using their names i.e. /Volumes/MacHD.

If Spotlight isn't indexing something you think it should you can cause
it to add to the index by using mdimport i.e.

sudo mdimport -f /System

This would cause Spotlight to add the System folder which it doesn't
normally index. Use this with caution as Spotlight apparently has a
limit on index size and indexing your entire hard drive quickly exceeds
that limit. Note: importations aren't permanent, if you re-index, you
will need to re-import and I don't believe the import will be routinely
updated.

Please refer to the applicable man pages before using either of these
or any of their associated commands.

Use ROT-13 on the email address for email replies

Tim Lance

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
"-oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> A lot of stuff is missing, how do you make Spotlight make a new index?

Make invisibles visible.

Trash the folder named .Spotlight-V100.

Reboot.

Go for burgers.

Tom Stiller

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
"-oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> A lot of stuff is missing, how do you make Spotlight make a new index?

From the Terminal enter:
sudo mdutil -E /
followed by your administrator password. See 'man mdutil' for
additional details.

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF

-oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-

Thanks folks and Evan,

command line