Does this config make sense?

Jim Collins

Will these components work together and will the completed system be pretty
decent?

AOpen "AK79D-400 MAX" nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A
CPU -RETAIL
$96.00

AMD Sempron 2500+ 1.750GHz, Socket A Processor - Retail
$80.00

ENERMAX BLACK ATX 10-BAY MID-TOWER CASE with 400W Power Supply, Model
"CS-EN5171LBFS-B"
$59.50

Crucial 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 8T - OEM
$78.00

I already have a HD and CDR
Thanks,
Jim

Orbital Defence

Dont get an Aopen Board man, get a Abit NF7-s 2.0, Aopen bites.

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 17:44:20 -0400, "Jim Collins"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Will these components work together and will the completed system be pretty
>decent?
>
>AOpen "AK79D-400 MAX" nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A
>CPU -RETAIL
>$96.00
>
>AMD Sempron 2500+ 1.750GHz, Socket A Processor - Retail
>$80.00
>
>ENERMAX BLACK ATX 10-BAY MID-TOWER CASE with 400W Power Supply, Model
>"CS-EN5171LBFS-B"
>$59.50
>
>Crucial 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 8T - OEM
>$78.00
>
>I already have a HD and CDR
>Thanks,
>Jim

HELLO NURSE.

Gnu_Raiz

Orbital Defence <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> Dont get an Aopen Board man, get a Abit NF7-s 2.0, Aopen bites.
>

> On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 17:44:20 -0400, "Jim Collins"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Will these components work together and will the completed system be pretty
> >decent?
> >
> >AOpen "AK79D-400 MAX" nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A
> >CPU -RETAIL
> >$96.00
> >
> >AMD Sempron 2500+ 1.750GHz, Socket A Processor - Retail
> >$80.00
> >
> >ENERMAX BLACK ATX 10-BAY MID-TOWER CASE with 400W Power Supply, Model
> >"CS-EN5171LBFS-B"
> >$59.50
> >
> >Crucial 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 8T - OEM
> >$78.00
> >
> >I already have a HD and CDR
> >Thanks,
> >Jim
> >

> HELLO NURSE.

Don't pay attention to the trolls, your system should be fine, Aopen
makes good stable boards. You might want to consider using two 256MB
dims, as this would take advantage of the dual channel memory. You
might want to see the spec sheet on aopens site,
http://usa.aopen.com/products/mb/AK79D-400Max.htm :

They do not list the Sempron as listed, but it should work, as you
know the Athlon XP series are about the same thing, and you can pick
up the same chip for the same cost. I would just stick to the Athlon
XP make sure its fsb 400 enabled. Also that board has everything, you
could save a little money by getting a different model with less
features.

It all depends on what you are going to use the system for, if it is
for games, and heavy sound use then its a great choice. If you plan on
using Gnu/linux you might have problems getting the Nvidia chipset
configured correctly, so it might be in your intrest in getting a VIA
based board. You also do not mention what graphics card you might use,
if your just plan on using your old card, then once again this board
will work, but has everything. Maybe a less future rich board would be
what you need, unless you really plan to use all the features. As you
know this board is not future proof, Socket A is coming to the end of
its upgrade life. But you should be able to get many years of service
out of this board, I just hope it fits your needs.

Gnu_Raiz

Harry

(E-Mail Removed) (Gnu_Raiz) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) om:

> Orbital Defence <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
>> Dont get an Aopen Board man, get a Abit NF7-s 2.0, Aopen bites.
>>

>> HELLO NURSE.

> Don't pay attention to the trolls, your system should be fine, Aopen
> makes good stable boards.
>
> Gnu_Raiz

I have just repeared my AOpen AX34-U motherboard due to leaking capacitors.
I will never buy an AOpen motherboard again. For the same reason I will
never buy Abit motherboards because my Abit VH6-II also had leaking
capacitors. Next board will be Asus.

Harry

Gnu_Raiz

Harry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<41445bd7$0$34762$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl>...
> (E-Mail Removed) (Gnu_Raiz) wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om:
>
> > Orbital Defence <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> >> Dont get an Aopen Board man, get a Abit NF7-s 2.0, Aopen bites.
> >>

> >> HELLO NURSE.

> > Don't pay attention to the trolls, your system should be fine, Aopen
> > makes good stable boards.
> >
> > Gnu_Raiz
> >

> I have just repeared my AOpen AX34-U motherboard due to leaking capacitors.
> I will never buy an AOpen motherboard again. For the same reason I will
> never buy Abit motherboards because my Abit VH6-II also had leaking
> capacitors. Next board will be Asus.
>
> Harry

Got some bad news for ya man, even Asus has leaking capacitors!

http://www.overclockers.com/tips00140/
http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache...pacitors&hl=en
http://www.badcaps.net/

They only manufacture that states they do not use bad capacitors, or
at least use high quality capacitors is Albatron. If your that
concerned about bad quality then you might want to go for a
motherboard with a long warranty.

Gnu_Raiz