What does "Exited with code: 1" mean?

Alan Browne

Searching the web I see this mentioned a lot but no underlying cause.

From console:

2012-04-21 1:51:31.598 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501:
([0x0-0x36e36e].com.Google.GoogleEarthPlus[9877]) Exited with code: 1

(The app started with no issue immediately afterwards).

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.

Don Bruder

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Searching the web I see this mentioned a lot but no underlying cause.
>
> From console:
>
> 2012-04-21 1:51:31.598 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501:
> ([0x0-0x36e36e].com.Google.GoogleEarthPlus[9877]) Exited with code: 1
>
> (The app started with no issue immediately afterwards).

In *nix (Which, being a BSD-variant, is effectively what MacOS X is) an
exit code of "any value other than 0" from a program is a pretty generic
indication of some sort of error.

What kind of error? Take your best guess. Maybe you were holding your
mouth wrong when you fired up the program. Maybe a file it needs is
locked, missing, corrupted, or inaccessible. Maybe the martians have
landed. Maybe something took too long to respond. Maybe SkyNet has
become sentient and the nukes have been launched. Maybe (fill in your
own "maybe")

Aside from the widely-used (but by no means universally observed) *nix
convention that an exit code of 0 means "Program ended normally",
there's no standardization - A programmer is free to return whatever
exit code (or none at all...) (s)he likes when the program shuts down.
Unless you're the programmer, or a code-to-meaning translation for the
exact program in question is available, the precise meaning of any
non-zero exit code you might see from a program is anybody's guess.

--
Email shown is deceased. If you would like to contact me by email, please
post something that makes it obvious in this or another group you see me