does it make any sense?

Vladi Schild

does it make any sense to overclock a P3 733MHZ up to 1GHz, because i heared
if you overclock a P3 CPU, the CPU will reset its MHz value without you
notice it. is it true?

Lee

To get 1ghz you would need a fsb of 182 according to my calculations I
doubt at all that the p3 733 (133fsb) processor will manage this but you
never know I think in terms of the CPU resetting itself that doesn't
happen as i know but you could always run CPUZ util to check afterwards see
what its saying.

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 21:35:30 +0200, "Vladi Schild" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>:>does it make any sense to overclock a P3 733MHZ up to 1GHz, because i heared
>:>if you overclock a P3 CPU, the CPU will reset its MHz value without you
>:>notice it. is it true?
>:>
>:>
>:>
>:>

-----
Lee.

atwifa

it's very (read 'totally') unlikely that you'd get a 733 up to 180+ MHz fsb.
and even if it were, there'd be no SDRAM that could keep up.

but in the impossible scenario in which the above were possible - and all
other things being equal - all you would need is a motherboard with a BIOS
that allowed the relevant settings.

if you had (say for instance) a P3 700, which runs by default at 100MHz fsb;
and you upped the fsb speed in the BIOS (or by hardware dipswitches) to 133,
then you would have a chip running at 933MHz. plenty of people did (and
do) it. PC133 ram could handle this easily, of course. the best i could
ever do, memory-wise, was about 150MHz @ CL3, using crucial CL2. the
coppermine core as used in the P3 chips maxed out at around 1GHz, give or
take 100MHz or so.

"Vladi Schild" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-dortmund.de...
> does it make any sense to overclock a P3 733MHZ up to 1GHz, because i

heared
> if you overclock a P3 CPU, the CPU will reset its MHz value without you
> notice it. is it true?

Phil Weldon

No, a Pentium III will not reset itself if overclocked. The BIOS in some
motherboards will reset the FrontSide Bus speed unless the correct options
are selected, but the start-up screen will usally identify the actual speed
if the BIOS version is new enough. And, of course, no Intel manufactured
motherboards will allow overclocking.

However, since any Pentium III is multipler locked, it can only be
overclocked by raising the frontside bus speed. To get 1 GHz out of a
Pentium 733 (which is designed to use a frontside bus speed of 133 MHz), the
frontside bus speed will have to be set to 183 MHz. Even with a motherboard
based on the Intel 815 series chipset that is not likely to be successful.
The Intel Pentium III CPU's with a 133 MHz FrontSide Bus speed are, for that
reason, not good candidates for overclocking,

--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,

"Vladi Schild" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-dortmund.de...
> does it make any sense to overclock a P3 733MHZ up to 1GHz, because i

heared
> if you overclock a P3 CPU, the CPU will reset its MHz value without you
> notice it. is it true?

Ixnei

Perhaps if it's really a celeron 733/66 ...

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 20:59:04 +0100, atwifa wrote:

> it's very (read 'totally') unlikely that you'd get a 733 up to 180+ MHz fsb.

--
We HAVE been at war with Iraq for 13 years now, bombing their
country on at least a weekly basis.

Phil Weldon

A. The Intel 815 chipset series allow async memory operation; you could run
the memory at 3/4 the frontside bus speed.

B. The limit for Pentium III 'coppermine' CPU's is about 1.33 GHz with
overclocking (Pentium III 1B GHz 100 MHz nominal FrontSide Bus speed.

C. PC150 SDRAM is available, but why bother? The PCI bus will be way too
high with a FrontSide Bus speed of 183 MHz (46 MHz.)
--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,
replace "at" with the 'at sign'
replace "mindjump" with "mindspring."
replace "dot" with "."

"atwifa" <atwifa@'fsmail'.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> it's very (read 'totally') unlikely that you'd get a 733 up to 180+ MHz

fsb.
> and even if it were, there'd be no SDRAM that could keep up.
>
> but in the impossible scenario in which the above were possible - and all
> other things being equal - all you would need is a motherboard with a BIOS
> that allowed the relevant settings.
>
> if you had (say for instance) a P3 700, which runs by default at 100MHz

fsb;
> and you upped the fsb speed in the BIOS (or by hardware dipswitches) to

133,
> then you would have a chip running at 933MHz. plenty of people did (and
> do) it. PC133 ram could handle this easily, of course. the best i could
> ever do, memory-wise, was about 150MHz @ CL3, using crucial CL2. the
> coppermine core as used in the P3 chips maxed out at around 1GHz, give or
> take 100MHz or so.
>

> "Vladi Schild" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)-dortmund.de...
> > does it make any sense to overclock a P3 733MHZ up to 1GHz, because i

> heared
> > if you overclock a P3 CPU, the CPU will reset its MHz value without you
> > notice it. is it true?

David Maynard

Vladi Schild wrote:
> does it make any sense to overclock a P3 733MHZ up to 1GHz, because i heared
> if you overclock a P3 CPU, the CPU will reset its MHz value without you
> notice it. is it true?

What I suspect you have heard is that the processor's multiplier is locked
so that if you change it in BIOS it will remain unchanged in the processor
regardless of what the BIOS tells you it is, and that is true. I.E. Your
P-III 733's multiplier is going to be 5.5 no matter what you try to change
it to or what the BIOS says it is. But it isn't being 'reset': it never
changes.

The way one overclocks P-IIIs is to increase the bus frequency, as the
speed is the multiplier times the bus frequency , but your P-III is already
running at the maximum standard bus frequency, e.g. 133MHz, and it isn't
practical to raise it to a frequency high enough, e.g. 182MHz, so that your
733 would be operating at 1 GHz. (even if your motherboard would allow it,
which it probably doesn't anyway).

Moderately Confused

> "Vladi Schild" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)-dortmund.de...
> > does it make any sense to overclock a P3 733MHZ up to 1GHz, because i

> heared
> > if you overclock a P3 CPU, the CPU will reset its MHz value without you
> > notice it. is it true?

"atwifa" <atwifa@'fsmail'.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> it's very (read 'totally') unlikely that you'd get a 733 up to 180+ MHz

fsb.
> and even if it were, there'd be no SDRAM that could keep up.
>
> but in the impossible scenario in which the above were possible - and all
> other things being equal - all you would need is a motherboard with a BIOS
> that allowed the relevant settings.
>
> if you had (say for instance) a P3 700, which runs by default at 100MHz

fsb;
> and you upped the fsb speed in the BIOS (or by hardware dipswitches) to

133,
> then you would have a chip running at 933MHz. plenty of people did (and
> do) it. PC133 ram could handle this easily, of course. the best i could
> ever do, memory-wise, was about 150MHz @ CL3, using crucial CL2. the
> coppermine core as used in the P3 chips maxed out at around 1GHz, give or
> take 100MHz or so.

As of now, I've got my P3 800MHz chip running at 905MHz stable. FSB is set
to 150MHz, and I've run Prime95 by it a few times without any problems. I
found that by setting the bus speed to 152MHz causes the system to crash
frequently, although I have suspisions that it was due to the crappy ram I
have since removed.

I know 105MHz isn't an astronomical gain, but it's all I can do with the
multiplier locked and no way to adjust the voltage with my mobo. My P3 runs
at about 28 C at idle, and 38 C at load in a cool room, and 40 C in a
warm room.

Vladi Schild

Thank you very much 4 ya help.

Does this make any sense? John Doue Laptops 5 08-22-2010 04:31 PM
Re: Does this make any sense? Robert Hancock ATI 2 12-21-2005 10:27 PM
Does this make any sense? johns Nvidia 0 12-20-2005 09:42 PM
Do ATI make any jackets or any clothing items? 3200+ ATI 2 03-21-2005 06:59 PM
Does Toshiba make any centrino models? Jeff Malka Laptops 3 08-24-2003 10:58 PM