How does the new GT24 handle Linux?

***** charles

Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a new GT24. I noticed that it has Broadcom
based ethernet. I have also heard that Broadcom doesn't support
Linux all that well. So my question is - how well will RH/Debian
install/work on this machine? for server purposes?

thanks,
charles.....

Flow

What is Linux?

"***** charles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:x2sMf.40780$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> Hi all,
>
> I am thinking of getting a new GT24. I noticed that it has Broadcom
> based ethernet. I have also heard that Broadcom doesn't support
> Linux all that well. So my question is - how well will RH/Debian
> install/work on this machine? for server purposes?
>
> thanks,
> charles.....

BC

***** charles wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am thinking of getting a new GT24. I noticed that it has Broadcom
> based ethernet. I have also heard that Broadcom doesn't support
> Linux all that well. So my question is - how well will RH/Debian
> install/work on this machine? for server purposes?
>
> thanks,
> charles.....

http://www.tyan.com/support/html/os_support2.html

Looks like the GT24 has a 2891 motherboard in it. From:

OS Support Matrix | page 1 | page 2 | page 3 |

Note: Due to the number of embedded components/chipsets that are on the
motherboards, and the variety of OS's/Distributions that are available,
it is always a good idea to double check with Tech Support if there is
any question about what drivers are/aren't supported. In the majority
of the cases if the OS is listed as supported then all
components/chipsets will also have support, but it is not so in every
single situation.

Looks like SuSE and Red Hat are supported.

Driver downloads page:

http://www.tyan.com/support/html/drivers_linux.html

And, looks like Broadcom is trying:

http://www.endemolent.co.uk/support/...oaddrivers.php

<<
97.) What is the Linux tg3 driver?

To better support users, Broadcom has been actively supporting,
maintaining, and testing the in-kernel tg3 driver for well over a year.
Broadcom has officially released the tg3 driver as a package, and the
tg3 driver is now the Linux driver that Broadcom will support for the
NetXtreme product line. Accordingly, Broadcom will discontinue support
for the bcm5700 driver and no longer provide updates.

The tg3 driver package released by Broadcom is based on the lastest
in-kernel tg3 driver with some added compatibility code to make it
backwards compatible with most 2.6 kernels and some 2.4 kernels
(generally newer than 2.4.24). If you are using the latest upstream
kernel from www.kernel.org, you generally do not need to download the
tg3 driver package from Broadcom as the latest upstream kernel has the
latest tg3 patches.

There are a few minor differences to be aware of if you are migrating
from the bcm5700 driver to the tg3 driver. The tg3 driver does not
support the Broadcom proprietary load balancing software module known as
BASP. The Linux bonding driver and 8021q driver provide similar
functionalities and can be used with tg3. BASP will also be
discontinued. The tg3 driver also does not support module parameters to
configure the device (line speed, flow control, ring sizes, etc) but
relies on standard Linux utilities such as ethtool. Other than these
differences, the two drivers are very similar in terms of hardware
support, robustness, and performance.

You could bypass the built in controller if it is going to be a problem,
and get a card: but, this one from Intel cost more than I expected it
would:

If you don't need dual LAN, there are several must less expensive but
high quality options.

Getting the Broadcom to work is mentioned in this exchange:

http://www.nabble.com/Nice-server-bo...--t605708.html

HTH,

BC