Does OS X Protect against Wild Homemade C Programs?

Joseph Sroka - 10.2.8

I can boot into both OS 10.2.8 and 9.2.2 on my G4.

I am writing some C code using the MPW development system which runs in OS
9.2.2 or in Classic under OS 10.2.8.

Some strange/disastrous(?) things can happen if there is a bug in the C
code, especially when it comes to pointers. Does running MPW under
Classic on OS 10.2.8 protect against such possibilities?

Is there any way to protect against these happenings when running directly
in OS 9.2.2?

Thanks.

--- Joe

--
Delete the second "o" to email me.

Tom Harrington

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)20-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net>,
(E-Mail Removed) (Joseph Sroka - 10.2.8) wrote:

> I can boot into both OS 10.2.8 and 9.2.2 on my G4.
>
> I am writing some C code using the MPW development system which runs in OS
> 9.2.2 or in Classic under OS 10.2.8.
>
> Some strange/disastrous(?) things can happen if there is a bug in the C
> code, especially when it comes to pointers. Does running MPW under
> Classic on OS 10.2.8 protect against such possibilities?
>
> Is there any way to protect against these happenings when running directly
> in OS 9.2.2?

If you're running Mac OS X, but using a Classic application, the Classic
app may cause the Classic environment to crash, if it's sufficiently
buggy. That would also mean bringing down any other Classic apps that
were running at the time, because there's just the one Classic
environment. However neither Mac OS X nor any Mac OS X apps should be
directly affected by this.

--
Tom "Tom" Harrington
Version 2.0: Delocalize, Repair Permissions, lots more.

Matthew Russotto

Joseph Sroka - 10.2.8 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I can boot into both OS 10.2.8 and 9.2.2 on my G4.
>
>I am writing some C code using the MPW development system which runs in OS
>9.2.2 or in Classic under OS 10.2.8.
>
>Some strange/disastrous(?) things can happen if there is a bug in the C
>code, especially when it comes to pointers. Does running MPW under
>Classic on OS 10.2.8 protect against such possibilities?

You can take down Classic (and thus MPW itself and anything else
running in Classic), but the rest of the system is protected.

>Is there any way to protect against these happenings when running directly
>in OS 9.2.2?

Not really, no, that's one of the reasons for OS X.