Does the P5W DH Deluxe have a PLLC type BIOS chip?

Ron Krebs

TIA,

Ron

Paul

In article <D8kLg.4770$ub5.1805@trnddc07>, "Ron Krebs"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> TIA,
>
> Ron

Yes. 32 pin PLCC.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/cpu/c...6300/board.jpg

If you are thinking of buying a BIOS Savior, I don't think they
have one suitable for an 8 megabit EEPROM. IOSS product only
go up to 4 megabit EEPROMs.

Paul

Ron Krebs

> In article <D8kLg.4770$ub5.1805@trnddc07>, "Ron Krebs"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > TIA,
> >
> > Ron

> Yes. 32 pin PLCC.
>
> http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/cpu/c...6300/board.jpg
>
> If you are thinking of buying a BIOS Savior, I don't think they
> have one suitable for an 8 megabit EEPROM. IOSS product only
> go up to 4 megabit EEPROMs.
>
> Paul

Drats. Yes, that's exactly what I wanted to do. I have a 4Mb ROM BIOS
Saviour now and want to use it in my new system. I would simply have
reflashed it while it was in my old motherboard and then after power down,
extract it and install on the P5W. Do you think IOSS will accommodate us
soon? Thanks Paul

Ron

Ron Krebs

> In article <D8kLg.4770$ub5.1805@trnddc07>, "Ron Krebs"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > TIA,
> >
> > Ron

> Yes. 32 pin PLCC.
>
> http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/cpu/c...6300/board.jpg
>
> If you are thinking of buying a BIOS Savior, I don't think they
> have one suitable for an 8 megabit EEPROM. IOSS product only
> go up to 4 megabit EEPROMs.
>
> Paul

Hmmm, from looking at a close up picture of the P5W DH board, it looks like
the PLCC chip is integrated into the mobo and not set into a socket. Looks
like it won't be possible to use the BIOS Savior anyway. Oh well, the system
is only near perfect now. heh thanks again,

Ron

Paul

In article <TrpLg.1874$I71.698@trnddc01>, "Ron Krebs"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > In article <D8kLg.4770$ub5.1805@trnddc07>, "Ron Krebs"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > TIA,
> > >
> > > Ron

> > Yes. 32 pin PLCC.
> >
> > http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/cpu/c...6300/board.jpg
> >
> > If you are thinking of buying a BIOS Savior, I don't think they
> > have one suitable for an 8 megabit EEPROM. IOSS product only
> > go up to 4 megabit EEPROMs.
> >
> > Paul

> Hmmm, from looking at a close up picture of the P5W DH board, it looks like
> the PLCC chip is integrated into the mobo and not set into a socket. Looks
> like it won't be possible to use the BIOS Savior anyway. Oh well, the system
> is only near perfect now. heh thanks again,
>
> Ron

In the Xbitlabs photo, there is a brown socket for the PLCC.
So that one can be removed. If you zoom into this photo on
the product page, you might also be able to see the socket.

http://usa.asus.com/100/images/products/1198/1198_l.jpg

I don't understand the thinking at IOSS. Perhaps they weren't
selling enough to continue development of the product or
something. One problem was fewer and fewer retailers were
carrying it, so maybe there was virtually no way to sell them.
I know a few people have bought directly from IOSS, but
I wouldn't try that.

It looks to me like they won't be making an 8 megabit product,
since 8 megabit motherboards have been out for some time
now. If they were going to do it, they probably would have done
it a couple years ago. I suppose you could always drop them a
line and ask.

Paul

Ron Krebs

> I don't understand the thinking at IOSS. Perhaps they weren't
> selling enough to continue development of the product or
> something. One problem was fewer and fewer retailers were
> carrying it, so maybe there was virtually no way to sell them.
> I know a few people have bought directly from IOSS, but
> I wouldn't try that.
>
> It looks to me like they won't be making an 8 megabit product,
> since 8 megabit motherboards have been out for some time
> now. If they were going to do it, they probably would have done
> it a couple years ago. I suppose you could always drop them a
> line and ask.
>
> Paul

Paul have a look at this site. It sure looks to me that they have 8Mb ROMs.
But would one of them be compatible with the ASUS P5W, who knows. I count
six 8Mb ROMs in the RD1 category.

Ron

Ron Krebs

> In the Xbitlabs photo, there is a brown socket for the PLCC.
> So that one can be removed. If you zoom into this photo on
> the product page, you might also be able to see the socket.
>
> http://usa.asus.com/100/images/products/1198/1198_l.jpg

Would that be the socket in the lower right corner?

Ron

Paul

In article <tfxLg.4907$ub5.4903@trnddc07>, "Ron Krebs"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > I don't understand the thinking at IOSS. Perhaps they weren't
> > selling enough to continue development of the product or
> > something. One problem was fewer and fewer retailers were
> > carrying it, so maybe there was virtually no way to sell them.
> > I know a few people have bought directly from IOSS, but
> > I wouldn't try that.
> >
> > It looks to me like they won't be making an 8 megabit product,
> > since 8 megabit motherboards have been out for some time
> > now. If they were going to do it, they probably would have done
> > it a couple years ago. I suppose you could always drop them a
> > line and ask.
> >
> > Paul

> Paul have a look at this site. It sure looks to me that they have 8Mb ROMs.
> But would one of them be compatible with the ASUS P5W, who knows. I count
> six 8Mb ROMs in the RD1 category.
>
> Ron

Are you talking about this link ?

http://www.ioss.com.tw/web/English/R...tionSheet.html

In the selection chart, every time there is an "8M" entry, the
right hand column has a "-" indicating no product to support
that chip type. That is how I concluded in the past that they
were not interested in doing an 8 megabit version.

If you have another link, post it.

As for the picture, the socketed PLCC EEPROM is right next to
the middle one of the three PCI slots, on the bottom side of the
PCI slot. You can see the white paper label stuck on the PLCC
with the BIOS release info printed on it. This image is 450x450
pixels. If you use an image viewing tool with cursor
coordinates (0,0) in the upper left hand corner, the
center of the PLCC is at (88,237). (I.e 88 pixels over
from the left edge, 237 pixels down from the top edge, of the
picture.)

http://usa.asus.com/100/images/products/1198/1198_l.jpg

A rough guess, is IOSS could use a chip like this for the job.
The PMCflash 49FL008 works with LPC or FWH, and autodetects
which kind of system it is connected to. It is 8Megabits
and 32 pin PLCC.

http://www.chingistek.com/resource_c...20V0%2E5%2Epdf

Paul

Ron Krebs

> In article <tfxLg.4907$ub5.4903@trnddc07>, "Ron Krebs"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > I don't understand the thinking at IOSS. Perhaps they weren't
> > > selling enough to continue development of the product or
> > > something. One problem was fewer and fewer retailers were
> > > carrying it, so maybe there was virtually no way to sell them.
> > > I know a few people have bought directly from IOSS, but
> > > I wouldn't try that.
> > >
> > > It looks to me like they won't be making an 8 megabit product,
> > > since 8 megabit motherboards have been out for some time
> > > now. If they were going to do it, they probably would have done
> > > it a couple years ago. I suppose you could always drop them a
> > > line and ask.
> > >
> > > Paul

> > Paul have a look at this site. It sure looks to me that they have 8Mb

ROMs.
> > But would one of them be compatible with the ASUS P5W, who knows. I

count
> > six 8Mb ROMs in the RD1 category.
> >
> > Ron

> Are you talking about this link ?
>
> http://www.ioss.com.tw/web/English/R...tionSheet.html
>
> In the selection chart, every time there is an "8M" entry, the
> right hand column has a "-" indicating no product to support
> that chip type. That is how I concluded in the past that they
> were not interested in doing an 8 megabit version.
>
> If you have another link, post it.
>
> As for the picture, the socketed PLCC EEPROM is right next to
> the middle one of the three PCI slots, on the bottom side of the
> PCI slot. You can see the white paper label stuck on the PLCC
> with the BIOS release info printed on it. This image is 450x450
> pixels. If you use an image viewing tool with cursor
> coordinates (0,0) in the upper left hand corner, the
> center of the PLCC is at (88,237). (I.e 88 pixels over
> from the left edge, 237 pixels down from the top edge, of the
> picture.)
>
> http://usa.asus.com/100/images/products/1198/1198_l.jpg
>
> A rough guess, is IOSS could use a chip like this for the job.
> The PMCflash 49FL008 works with LPC or FWH, and autodetects
> which kind of system it is connected to. It is 8Megabits
> and 32 pin PLCC.
>
> http://www.chingistek.com/resource_c...20V0%2E5%2Epdf
>
> Paul

Paul, is that BIOS a Winbond chip?

Ron Krebs

> In article <tfxLg.4907$ub5.4903@trnddc07>, "Ron Krebs"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > I don't understand the thinking at IOSS. Perhaps they weren't
> > > selling enough to continue development of the product or
> > > something. One problem was fewer and fewer retailers were
> > > carrying it, so maybe there was virtually no way to sell them.
> > > I know a few people have bought directly from IOSS, but
> > > I wouldn't try that.
> > >
> > > It looks to me like they won't be making an 8 megabit product,
> > > since 8 megabit motherboards have been out for some time
> > > now. If they were going to do it, they probably would have done
> > > it a couple years ago. I suppose you could always drop them a
> > > line and ask.
> > >
> > > Paul

> > Paul have a look at this site. It sure looks to me that they have 8Mb

ROMs.
> > But would one of them be compatible with the ASUS P5W, who knows. I

count
> > six 8Mb ROMs in the RD1 category.
> >
> > Ron

> Are you talking about this link ?
>
> http://www.ioss.com.tw/web/English/R...tionSheet.html
>
> In the selection chart, every time there is an "8M" entry, the
> right hand column has a "-" indicating no product to support
> that chip type. That is how I concluded in the past that they
> were not interested in doing an 8 megabit version.
>
> If you have another link, post it.
>
> As for the picture, the socketed PLCC EEPROM is right next to
> the middle one of the three PCI slots, on the bottom side of the
> PCI slot. You can see the white paper label stuck on the PLCC
> with the BIOS release info printed on it. This image is 450x450
> pixels. If you use an image viewing tool with cursor
> coordinates (0,0) in the upper left hand corner, the
> center of the PLCC is at (88,237). (I.e 88 pixels over
> from the left edge, 237 pixels down from the top edge, of the
> picture.)
>
> http://usa.asus.com/100/images/products/1198/1198_l.jpg
>
> A rough guess, is IOSS could use a chip like this for the job.
> The PMCflash 49FL008 works with LPC or FWH, and autodetects
> which kind of system it is connected to. It is 8Megabits
> and 32 pin PLCC.
>
> http://www.chingistek.com/resource_c...20V0%2E5%2Epdf
>
> Paul

Oh OK, I see it. The socket has the two slots for the removal tool at one of
the diagonals.
And looks just like the one on my old ASUS P2B SCSI board.

Ron