Does static electricity travel via metal only ? or plastics too ?

Skybuck The Destroyer

Hello,

My question is:

Does static electricity travel via metal only ? or plastics too ?

The back of the pc has a metal (?) brace which is part of the
motherboard.

I touched it, and maybe could have damaged the motherboard that way.

If so, then ofcourse it's the designers, in this asus, own fault !

They should use material which do not allow static electricty to
transfer ???!!!???

Or are there other safety concerns ?

Maybe metal is good ? (Don't think so though )

What your toughts on that ? :P*

Bye,
Skybuck.

P.S.: Posted to dutch newgroup too, hope that's ok , reply in
english please

Michael W. Ryder

Skybuck The Destroyer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My question is:
>
> Does static electricity travel via metal only ? or plastics too ?

Static electricity travels very well through air. In the early 80's I
watched people in an office that had just installed shag carpet "launch"
bolts of static electricity several inches to the terminals. This made
a great show of jiggling on the screen and probably didn't help their
lifespan any.

> The back of the pc has a metal (?) brace which is part of the
> motherboard.
>
> I touched it, and maybe could have damaged the motherboard that way.
>
> If so, then ofcourse it's the designers, in this asus, own fault !
>
> They should use material which do not allow static electricty to
> transfer ???!!!???

Exactly how do you prevent "bad" electricity through a wire but not
"good" electricity? What might have happened is that your static charge
traveled to the metal connector for the USB port and from there through
the computer.

> Or are there other safety concerns ?
>
> Maybe metal is good ? (Don't think so though )
>
> What your toughts on that ? :P*

If you want to cut down your static risk use a fabric softener like Dawn
and spray the carpet around the computer. It won't eliminate it
completely but will make a difference. Otherwise place the computer in
a clean room with Tempest shielding.

> Bye,
> Skybuck.
>
> P.S.: Posted to dutch newgroup too, hope that's ok , reply in
> english please

mpm

On Jun 1, 3:19?pm, Skybuck The Destroyer
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

The metal part you are talking about is probably connected to ground.
And discharge through ground should not affect the motherboard.

Yes, a static current flowing in the ground circuit (fault) is not
ideal, but I don't know that it would damage a motherboard directly?
Are you the individual who posted recently that you had (2)
motherboards die? If so, I am wondering if something else isn't
wrong?? How many motherboards would it take? Are you building /
upgrading the PC yourself? Are you using static control measures
while handling the boards and semiconductors?

Just a few thoughts to ponder. mpm

Jaap Knasterhuis

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 12:19:22 -0700, Skybuck The Destroyer
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>My question is:
>
>Does static electricity travel via metal only ? or plastics too ?
>
>The back of the pc has a metal (?) brace which is part of the
>motherboard.
>
>I touched it, and maybe could have damaged the motherboard that way.
>
>If so, then ofcourse it's the designers, in this asus, own fault !
>
>They should use material which do not allow static electricty to
>transfer ???!!!???
>
>Or are there other safety concerns ?
>
>Maybe metal is good ? (Don't think so though )
>
>What your toughts on that ? :P*
>
>Bye,
> Skybuck.
>
>P.S.: Posted to dutch newgroup too, hope that's ok , reply in
>english please

Het is eigenlijk heel simpel.
Een ESD veilige ruimte is in de meeste thuis situaties niet altijd te
realiseren, maar je kunt daarentegen heel eenvoudig je apparatuur
voorzien van randaarde. Een ESD ontlading zoekt altijd de weg van de
minste weerstand en dat is de randaarde.
Mocht je nu aan je PC willen knutselen, dan zorg je voor een
anti-statische mat die je vervolgens met de juiste middelen aan de
randaarde koppelt, je plaatst daar je PC op (het netsnoer laat je
zitten tot het moment dat je apparatuur daadwerkelijk op de mat staat)
en je verbindt jezelf met een daartoe geschikte polsband aan deze
anti-statische mat.
De anti-statische mat is dus je virtuele aardpunt.
Als je nu ook nog beschermende koolstof kleding draagt tijdens de
klus, dan hoef je nergens meer over in te zitten.

JK

mr deo

"mpm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> On Jun 1, 3:19?pm, Skybuck The Destroyer
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> The metal part you are talking about is probably connected to ground.
> And discharge through ground should not affect the motherboard.
>
> Yes, a static current flowing in the ground circuit (fault) is not
> ideal, but I don't know that it would damage a motherboard directly?

No, it shouldnt..

I know that all stages of the PSU share a common ground, and I think that
common ground is return'd to the Earth/Ground of the plug.

mr deo

> Bye,
> Skybuck.
>
> P.S.: Posted to dutch newgroup too, hope that's ok , reply in
> english please

Hi Skybuck
I have been following your problems and I know what the problem is..

It's user error. I suggest you box up your dream pc, your static flip flops
or whatever, and go buy a dell laptop.

default

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>My question is:
>
>Does static electricity travel via metal only ? or plastics too ?
>
>The back of the pc has a metal (?) brace which is part of the
>motherboard.
>
>I touched it, and maybe could have damaged the motherboard that way.
>
>If so, then ofcourse it's the designers, in this asus, own fault !
>
>They should use material which do not allow static electricty to
>transfer ???!!!???
>
>Or are there other safety concerns ?
>
>Maybe metal is good ? (Don't think so though )
>
>What your toughts on that ? :P*
>
>Bye,
> Skybuck.
>
>P.S.: Posted to dutch newgroup too, hope that's ok , reply in
>english please

Static can go through some plastics - usually ones the manufacturer
takes steps to make them conductive. Static can pass through wood if
reasonably moist. Static will always travel via metals - but not
necessarily metal oxides.

Static can build up on the surfaces of insulated conductors,
insulators, and semi conductive insulated pieces.

Have a negative ion generator in the room? That's is asking for
trouble.

The problem isn't the board maker - it is you. Good practice says
that you be at the same voltage potential as the computer before you
touch anything inside it. Easiest way is ground yourself and the
computer, then touch things inside.

Avoid working when the air is dry and be very careful.

bandit

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 22:07:27 GMT, "mr deo"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Bye,
>> Skybuck.
>>
>> P.S.: Posted to dutch newgroup too, hope that's ok , reply in
>> english please

>Hi Skybuck
>I have been following your problems and I know what the problem is..
>
>It's user error. I suggest you box up your dream pc, your static flip flops
>or whatever, and go buy a dell laptop.

No he needs to get rid of all his PC's and do us all a favor

Eeyore

Skybuck The Destroyer wrote:

> I touched it, and maybe could have damaged the motherboard that way.
>
> If so, then ofcourse it's the designers, in this asus, own fault !
>
> They should use material which do not allow static electricty to
> transfer ???!!!???

You're supposed to discharge any static on yourself before touching these
things.

Better still, avoid wearing the kinds of clothing that 'generate static' (in
other words wear pure cotton only - no synthetic content) and also treat any
carpet in the area with an anti-static spray to avoid generating static
electricity when you walk across it.

If you broke something with static it was only your own stupidity and ignorance
that was to blame. It is impossible to make the internal components of a PC
totally Skybuck The Idiot proof.

Graham

Ty

Skybuck The Destroyer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My question is:
>
> Does static electricity travel via metal only ? or plastics too ?

static and or electricity seek ground. plastic is normally an insulator
but can be persuaded to conduct until a vaporized/magma state is
achieved. This type of situation beyond the norm, like natural purple
hair sticky.