Dolby Digital sound through coaxial digital SPDIF output from SB Live?

Andrew Widgery

Firstly, apologies for the cross-post - I wasn't sure where to post.

I am about to buy a Dolby Digital receiver which has both coaxial and
optical digital inputs for Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound. I am
wondering, if I hook this up to my SB Live 5.1 card, using the digital out,
will I get proper 5.1 sound? I will use it basically for DVDs (where I will
want the 5.1, definitely) and music (where I am happy to use the 2ch and the
receiver can "up-mix" it to 5.1). The receiver I'm thinking of getting
doesn't have discrete, 5.1, analogue inputs so I am worried that if I get
this receiver and can't use the digital connectivity, I will be totally
stuck because I won't even be able to use 3 3.5mm-2xPhono leads to connect
in analogue. So... will it work? From reading on the web, I see a lot of
conflicting reports. Will I need to use certain DVD programs?
What I am hoping is that the digital output from the soundcard is just 2
channel whenever it has only 2 channels, and 5.1 whenever it has a 5.1
source. Don't know if this is wishful thinking.

Thanks for any help,

Andrew

a@b.c

Generally you will need software that has an spdif passthrough setting to output
the 5.1 encoded signal. Cyberlink PowerDVD is generally preferred for this.

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 23:31:05 -0000, "Andrew Widgery" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>>Firstly, apologies for the cross-post - I wasn't sure where to post.
>>
>>I am about to buy a Dolby Digital receiver which has both coaxial and
>>optical digital inputs for Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound. I am
>>wondering, if I hook this up to my SB Live 5.1 card, using the digital out,
>>will I get proper 5.1 sound? I will use it basically for DVDs (where I will
>>want the 5.1, definitely) and music (where I am happy to use the 2ch and the
>>receiver can "up-mix" it to 5.1). The receiver I'm thinking of getting
>>doesn't have discrete, 5.1, analogue inputs so I am worried that if I get
>>this receiver and can't use the digital connectivity, I will be totally
>>stuck because I won't even be able to use 3 3.5mm-2xPhono leads to connect
>>in analogue. So... will it work? From reading on the web, I see a lot of
>>conflicting reports. Will I need to use certain DVD programs?
>>What I am hoping is that the digital output from the soundcard is just 2
>>channel whenever it has only 2 channels, and 5.1 whenever it has a 5.1
>>source. Don't know if this is wishful thinking.
>>
>>Thanks for any help,
>>
>>Andrew

SL

I thought the 5.1 cards did the processing onboard or let a signal
pass-thru. I have the Live Value Xgamer card ( CT4670 model) that has the
1/4 in. jack for digital output. My card does not have the ability to
decode 5.1. It simply has the ability to pass the raw signal off to
something like your Home Theater reciever or specialty computer speakers.
Like the other poster mentioned, I also use Cybermedia DVD player to produce
the 5.1/AC3 signal. Most popular DVD software has some sort of "enable
digital" or "use spdif" etc...

I dont have your card, but I thought creative would provide the same
functions as mine and add more.

SL