for Doug (pigdos): Win98SE and memory management

MalcolmO

Doug,

Sorry to start a new thread but my server doesn't retain for long and
Google wants a DNA sample to reply. So I started a new thread. <shrug>

Anyway, this is a good site for you:

http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/memmgmt.htm

pigdos

Thanks MalcolmO, but my 98SE is pretty much broken at this point. I can get
to a DOS prompt but I can't start 98SE.

Someone suggested I could remove one of my 1GB sticks (of two 1 GB sticks)
and re-install 98SE, but I'm pretty sure 98SE just doesn't work w/more than
1GB of RAM. I've pretty much given up on 98SE at this point.

--
Doug
"MalcolmO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:efv5ef$btp$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Doug,
>
> Sorry to start a new thread but my server doesn't retain for long and
> Google wants a DNA sample to reply. So I started a new thread. <shrug>
>
> Anyway, this is a good site for you:
>
> http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/memmgmt.htm

Bird JanitorŪ

pigdos wrote:

| Thanks MalcolmO, but my 98SE is pretty much broken at this point. I
| can get to a DOS prompt but I can't start 98SE.
|
| Someone suggested I could remove one of my 1GB sticks (of two 1 GB
| sticks) and re-install 98SE, but I'm pretty sure 98SE just doesn't work
| w/more than 1GB of RAM. I've pretty much given up on 98SE at this point.

Hi Doug -

Malcolm is correct. Read the link he gave .. you can have 2 gigabytes
installed, but you have to tell Windows 98SE to use only one of them. Do
the install with only one stick in place.

After Windows is up and running, limit the address space to a gigabyte and
the virtual file cache to 512MB (or you'll end up with odd out of memory
crashes).

In C:\Windows\System.ini, after [386enh], add:

MaxPhysPage=40000

After [vcache], add:

MaxFileCache=524288

Shut down and install your second stick of RAM and you should be good to go.

Jef

0_Qed

Bird JanitorŪ wrote:

> Hi Doug -
>
> Malcolm is correct. Read the link he gave .. you can have 2 gigabytes
> installed, but you have to tell Windows 98SE to use only one of them. Do
> the install with only one stick in place.
>
> After Windows is up and running, limit the address space to a gigabyte and
> the virtual file cache to 512MB (or you'll end up with odd out of memory
> crashes).
>
> In C:\Windows\System.ini, after [386enh], add:
>
> MaxPhysPage=40000
>
> After [vcache], add:
>
> MaxFileCache=524288
>
> Shut down and install your second stick of RAM and you should be good to go.

Greetings ...
:-)
Added ....
.. 'Cache' max magic number mite be up, around 620k , somesuch
.. mine was 'done' with 2GB mem installed from the git_go ...
.. no need to refresh/reinstall W98

Qed.

pigdos

I swear I already tried the MaxPhysPage, but this was after I already has
98SE installed. It might be worth it though, just so I can have a backup to
XP Pro.

--
Doug
"Bird JanitorŪ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> Hi Doug -
>
> Malcolm is correct. Read the link he gave .. you can have 2 gigabytes
> installed, but you have to tell Windows 98SE to use only one of them. Do
> the install with only one stick in place.
>
> After Windows is up and running, limit the address space to a gigabyte and
> the virtual file cache to 512MB (or you'll end up with odd out of memory
> crashes).
>
> In C:\Windows\System.ini, after [386enh], add:
>
> MaxPhysPage=40000
>
> After [vcache], add:
>
> MaxFileCache=524288
>
> Shut down and install your second stick of RAM and you should be good to
> go.
>
> Jef

Bird JanitorŪ

pigdos wrote:

| I swear I already tried the MaxPhysPage, but this was after I already
| has 98SE installed. It might be worth it though, just so I can have a
| backup to XP Pro.

Hi Doug -

Did you do both the MaxPhysPage and MaxFileCache updates at the same time?
Are you sure you inserted them under the correct header? Finally, are you
certain you typed the entries exactly as presented, including the letters
that are Capitalized? Both changes are necessary, and the syntax must be
exact, in order to function with larger amounts of RAM installed under
Windows 9x.

Quoting myself:

| In C:\Windows\System.ini, after [386enh], add:
| MaxPhysPage=40000

... This limits Windows' address space to 1 gigabyte of virtual memory.

| After [vcache], add:
| MaxFileCache=524288

... This limits prevents the Virtual File Cache from taking all the real
memory addresses, by limiting it to 512MB of virtual memory (not physical
memory).

Jef