Downgrading from Vista to XP Pro

Flinders

I have an HP tablet, newly purchased, running Vista Premium care of the
manufacturer. I upgraded this to Ultimate and loaded Microsoft Office 2007.
Nothing else! It is a disappointingly unstable platform. I propose to buy a
second hard drive, put the Vista on the shelf in the hope of a more reliable
future. I have a copy of XP Pro with SP2. If I load this onto a clean drive
will the tablet features work or not?

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]

>> I have a copy of XP Pro with SP2. <<

Suggest searching this forum as, in essence, the tablet functionality
will be lost if you go this route.

Per the posts, your only legal option is to purchase an XP recovery disk
from the oem... if that is even possible.

To search this group, use
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...tabletpc?hl=en

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Sven

The deal is that to get Tablet functionality you need XP Tablet Edition,
which was never sold to consumers, only OEMs. Beyond that each manufacturer
supplies drivers specific to a particular Tablet model. If HP didn't produce
XP drivers for your model, you would be losing a lot of functionality.

--
Sven
MVP Mobile Devices
> >> I have a copy of XP Pro with SP2. <<

> Suggest searching this forum as, in essence, the tablet functionality will
> be lost if you go this route.
>
> Per the posts, your only legal option is to purchase an XP recovery disk
> from the oem... if that is even possible.
>
> To search this group, use
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...tabletpc?hl=en

Flinders

Thank you for your responses. I had been warned that I may acquire a few
problems in moving on to Vista. Looks like a waste of money at the moment.
Clearly I purchased a tablet PC (HP tx2011au) for a reason but until Vista
runs with more stability I think I'll get more functionality out of XP! Also
I'll get my firewire function back too! I f I keep the Vista on the original
harddrive I guess it will not be too painful to look at an upgrade at a later
date. Am I alone in finding a clean unsullied installation of Vista so poor?
I doubt I'll get downgrade OEM discs out of HP although they have sold such
systems in the past - they are yet to reply to any of my online questions
(both pre and post purchase!).
Might just buy a Mac next time

"Sven" wrote:

> The deal is that to get Tablet functionality you need XP Tablet Edition,
> which was never sold to consumers, only OEMs. Beyond that each manufacturer
> supplies drivers specific to a particular Tablet model. If HP didn't produce
> XP drivers for your model, you would be losing a lot of functionality.
>
> --
> Sven
> MVP Mobile Devices
> "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
> message news:%23p$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > Suggest searching this forum as, in essence, the tablet functionality will
> > be lost if you go this route.
> >
> > Per the posts, your only legal option is to purchase an XP recovery disk
> > from the oem... if that is even possible.
> >
> > To search this group, use
> > http://groups.google.com/group/micro...tabletpc?hl=en
> >
> > Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Sven

I've got an HP Tx1327 running Vista. While it isn't the speediest thing
around, it seems to work fine, stable, etc. It came with Home Premium, and I
haven't seen the need to upgrade. I obviously can't join a domain at home,
but I can access the server file shares and my exchange server by just
supplying the appropriate credentials. I'm running Office 2007 on it as
well.

Have you tried just rebuilding the thing from the recovery disks you surely
made, and applying SP1 right away?

--
Sven
MVP Mobile Devices
"Flinders" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you for your responses. I had been warned that I may acquire a few
> problems in moving on to Vista. Looks like a waste of money at the moment.
> Clearly I purchased a tablet PC (HP tx2011au) for a reason but until Vista
> runs with more stability I think I'll get more functionality out of XP!
> Also
> I'll get my firewire function back too! I f I keep the Vista on the
> original
> harddrive I guess it will not be too painful to look at an upgrade at a
> later
> date. Am I alone in finding a clean unsullied installation of Vista so
> poor?
> I doubt I'll get downgrade OEM discs out of HP although they have sold
> such
> systems in the past - they are yet to reply to any of my online questions
> (both pre and post purchase!).
> Might just buy a Mac next time
>
> "Sven" wrote:
>
>> The deal is that to get Tablet functionality you need XP Tablet Edition,
>> which was never sold to consumers, only OEMs. Beyond that each
>> manufacturer
>> supplies drivers specific to a particular Tablet model. If HP didn't
>> produce
>> XP drivers for your model, you would be losing a lot of functionality.
>>
>> --
>> Sven
>> MVP Mobile Devices
>> "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
>> message news:%23p$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >
>> > Suggest searching this forum as, in essence, the tablet functionality
>> > will
>> > be lost if you go this route.
>> >
>> > Per the posts, your only legal option is to purchase an XP recovery
>> > disk
>> > from the oem... if that is even possible.
>> >
>> > To search this group, use
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/micro...tabletpc?hl=en
>> >
>> > Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Rainald Taesler

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] schrieb:

>>> I have a copy of XP Pro with SP2. <<

> Suggest searching this forum as, in essence, the tablet
> functionality will be lost if you go this route.
>
> Per the posts, your only legal option is to purchase an XP recovery
> disk from the oem... if that is even possible.

It's not possible.
HP doesn't offer XP TabletPC edition for the newer types of machine.

Rainald

Rainald Taesler

Flinders wrote:

> I have an HP tablet, newly purchased, running Vista Premium care of
> the manufacturer. I upgraded this to Ultimate and loaded Microsoft
> Office 2007. Nothing else! It is a disappointingly unstable
> platform. I propose to buy a second hard drive, put the Vista on
> the shelf in the hope of a more reliable future. I have a copy of
> XP Pro with SP2. If I load this onto a clean drive will the tablet
> features work or not?

In addition to what the others already said:
There are *two* layers of problems:
(a) Getting XP TabletPC Edition installed in the machine;
(b) finding the additional drivers for your machine.

ad (a):
XP TabletPC Edition never was sold separately.
It always was bound to the machines.

Your copy of XP probably won't fit. (i.e.: you might not get the needed
TabletPC instruments installed).
With machines that came with XP it was possible to use any retail XP CD
with SP2 and install that using the product key on the XP sticker on the
machine. This did not work with OEM versions (other than those from the
manufacturer) and Volume Licence CDs because those would not accept the
necessary product key. Furthermore the existence of the directory
"CMPNENTS" on the CD is crucial.
IMHO the product key would be the main problem.

ad (b)
On addition to the "naked" TabletPC OS version you'd need additional
drivers fro the specific hardware built-in in your machine.
Most probably the hardware components differ from those used in earlier
series.
For some devices the drivers offered for Vista ob the HP download site
might fit. For other devices XP-drivers offered for other machines might
be used.
But the situation for certain will not be too easy. In the HP forums
there's tons of threads on "upgrading to XP" for HP notebooks which came
with Vista only. For most problems solutions were found. But things are
lot more complex with TabletPCs.

It would not hurt, however, to visit the said forums and search and ask
there. AFAICS "notebook - HP Compaq, Armada, EVO, LTE, Tablet PC"
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/...35135+28353475
would the proper place.

HTH
Rainald

Sinner

message news:%23p$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Per the posts, your only legal option is to purchase an XP recovery disk
> from the oem... if that is even possible.

That is not true. You can legally buy, and install, an OEM version of the
OS from any system builder willing to sell to you. Or can I look forward to
MS's storm troopers showing up on my doorstep?

Rainald Taesler

Sinner wrote:

> "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote
> in message news:%23p$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Per the posts, your only legal option is to purchase an XP
>> recovery disk from the oem... if that is even possible.

> That is not true. You can legally buy, and install, an OEM version
> of the OS from any system builder willing to sell to you.

I wish good luck for finding one having to sell XP TapletPC ...

Rainald

Sinner

"Rainald Taesler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23GdfsKW%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sinner wrote:
>
>> "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote
>> in message news:%23p$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Per the posts, your only legal option is to purchase an XP
>>> recovery disk from the oem... if that is even possible.

>> That is not true. You can legally buy, and install, an OEM version
>> of the OS from any system builder willing to sell to you.

> I wish good luck for finding one having to sell XP TapletPC ...

Well, here's one:

You'll find others on eBay also.