DP35DP: fan header question

Ken

I have a DP35DP board in an Antec P182 case. There are two 120 MM fans
in the back and top of the case, each with a male/female Molex 4-wire
connector.

Using an adapter
(http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/S...productID=3317) can
I connect these either: 1, to the front and back 3-pin fan headers
individually, or 2, together on one fan header? ( fan Molex
connector---->fan Molex connector--->adapter--->fan header )

I have tried connecting one fan already, but it did not begin spinning.
I am not sure if the fan header is thermostatically controlled--does
anyone know? How do I test it other than to allow the environment to
heat up?

Thanks, KK

George Orwell

On Sun, 04 May 2008 12:34:15 -0700, Ken <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am not sure if the fan header is thermostatically controlled

If you look in the BIOS there are settings for Lowest System Fan Speed and
System Fan Control. If system fan control is enabled, the fans will either
spin slow at low temperatures or not at all, depending on the setting of
lowest system fan speed setting, slow or off. If system fan control is
disabled, the fans will spin at their maximum rate or whatever rate they
adjust to if they have internal thermal control.

https://www.mixmaster.it

Bob Bailin

"Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:YcoTj.210$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a DP35DP board in an Antec P182 case. There are two 120 MM fans in the back and
>top of the case, each with a male/female Molex 4-wire connector.
>
> Using an adapter (http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/S...productID=3317)
> can I connect these either: 1, to the front and back 3-pin fan headers individually, or
> 2, together on one fan header? ( fan Molex connector---->fan Molex
> connector--->adapter--->fan header )
>
> I have tried connecting one fan already, but it did not begin spinning. I am not sure if
> the fan header is thermostatically controlled--does anyone know? How do I test it other
> than to allow the environment to heat up?
>
> Thanks, KK

I don't think you're allowed to use an old-style fan with a 4-pin Molex
connector on the 3-pin motherboard fan ports because these old-style
fans have only 2 wires for power and ground. The 3-wire fan ports
expect power, ground and fan speed (tach).

You can try going into the BIOS and changing the cooling method to
the most aggressive, but I don't think you'll get them to work, and they
definitely won't work at other than full-speed or no-speed.

120mm fans with the proper 3-pin connector and tach are commonly
available, even directly from Antec.

Bob

Ken

Bob Bailin said the following on 5/5/2008 1:06 PM:
> "Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:YcoTj.210$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have a DP35DP board in an Antec P182 case. There are two 120 MM fans in the back and
>> top of the case, each with a male/female Molex 4-wire connector.
>>
>> Using an adapter (http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/S...productID=3317)
>> can I connect these either: 1, to the front and back 3-pin fan headers individually, or
>> 2, together on one fan header? ( fan Molex connector---->fan Molex
>> connector--->adapter--->fan header )
>>
>> I have tried connecting one fan already, but it did not begin spinning. I am not sure if
>> the fan header is thermostatically controlled--does anyone know? How do I test it other
>> than to allow the environment to heat up?
>>
>> Thanks, KK

> I don't think you're allowed to use an old-style fan with a 4-pin Molex
> connector on the 3-pin motherboard fan ports because these old-style
> fans have only 2 wires for power and ground. The 3-wire fan ports
> expect power, ground and fan speed (tach).
>
> You can try going into the BIOS and changing the cooling method to
> the most aggressive, but I don't think you'll get them to work, and they
> definitely won't work at other than full-speed or no-speed.
>
> 120mm fans with the proper 3-pin connector and tach are commonly
> available, even directly from Antec.
>
> Bob

OK, I will check with Antec. The case is brand new, so I will see if
they will swap out the fans.

Thanks for the responses by you both. If either of you could take a
look at my post from last week, I would appreciate it. I can understand
what a thermal margin is but it doesn't give absolutes, only the
"safety" margin, as I see it... I am a bit confused by it.

Thanks again.

Ken

Bob Bailin said the following on 5/5/2008 1:06 PM:
> "Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:YcoTj.210$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have a DP35DP board in an Antec P182 case. There are two 120 MM fans in the back and
>> top of the case, each with a male/female Molex 4-wire connector.
>>
>> Using an adapter (http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/S...productID=3317)
>> can I connect these either: 1, to the front and back 3-pin fan headers individually, or
>> 2, together on one fan header? ( fan Molex connector---->fan Molex
>> connector--->adapter--->fan header )
>>
>> I have tried connecting one fan already, but it did not begin spinning. I am not sure if
>> the fan header is thermostatically controlled--does anyone know? How do I test it other
>> than to allow the environment to heat up?
>>
>> Thanks, KK

> I don't think you're allowed to use an old-style fan with a 4-pin Molex
> connector on the 3-pin motherboard fan ports because these old-style
> fans have only 2 wires for power and ground. The 3-wire fan ports
> expect power, ground and fan speed (tach).
>
> You can try going into the BIOS and changing the cooling method to
> the most aggressive, but I don't think you'll get them to work, and they
> definitely won't work at other than full-speed or no-speed.
>
> 120mm fans with the proper 3-pin connector and tach are commonly
> available, even directly from Antec.
>
> Bob

No luck. Checked with Antec. Have to purchase new fans to replace my
new fans.... but many thanks for explaining what needs to be done.
KK

John Doe

Ken <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Have to purchase new fans to replace my new fans....

Or maybe you can connect them to the power supply outputs.

Ken

John Doe said the following on 5/5/2008 4:51 PM:
> Ken <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Have to purchase new fans to replace my new fans....

> Or maybe you can connect them to the power supply outputs.

No problem connecting them to the power supply Molex connectors. The
interior of the case is rather cool at idle, and I leave the server on
all the time. I thought I would enjoy the peace and quiet until the
fans were needed by running them only as needed, controlled by the
motherboard. Or is there some way of connecting them that you are
alluding to which I may not understand???

Thanks
Ken K

John Doe

Ken <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> No problem connecting them to the power supply Molex connectors.
> The interior of the case is rather cool at idle, and I leave the
> server on all the time. I thought I would enjoy the peace and
> quiet until the fans were needed by running them only as needed,
> controlled by the motherboard.

Like Bob said, fans with the connectors you're looking for are
common. I recently purchased a Hydro Wave (Panaflo) bearing fan for
my new DP35DP. I know Panasonic is very proud of their fans, and I
wanted one. Newegg sells fans that include a fan speed bracket, so
you can adjust the fan speed manually (maybe in combination with
temperature sensing).

If you don't mind putting some research into the issue, maybe visit
the site (www.silentpcreview.com). I'm not familiar with it, but
they probably review lots of fans. Fans don't all make the same
amount of noise.

Good luck and have fun.

John Doe

George Orwell <nobody mixmaster.it> wrote:

> On Sun, 04 May 2008 12:34:15 -0700, Ken <noreply charter.net> wrote:
>
>>I am not sure if the fan header is thermostatically controlled

> If you look in the BIOS there are settings for Lowest System Fan Speed and
> System Fan Control.

Not in my BIOS 413 there isn't.

Take a look at a DP35DP actual BIOS setup screen.

Abit KN8 CPU Fan header damaged? mantis.shrimp@gmail.com Abit 0 03-03-2006 11:43 PM
IC7 fan header Chris Abit 3 09-25-2004 10:39 PM
A7N8X-E Deluxe and Q-Fan - which fan header(s)? Asus 1 06-23-2004 04:34 AM
K8V fan header monitoring and temperature control Jim Sherman Asus 0 01-23-2004 06:19 PM
NF7-S Fan Header Wattage anthonyi Abit 0 09-07-2003 09:01 PM