DP35DP, no fan control, BIOS options not showing?

John Doe

I updated the BIOS to version 413. Don't know about the prior version,
but the updated version does not show fan speed control options. So the
fan is running at about 1000 rpm without variation.

In Advanced -- Boot Configuration
there are only three switches.

Numlock
Max CPUID
Display Setup Prompt

Downgrade the BIOS to the next prior version?

George Orwell

Looks like Intel removed fan control for system fans under the Fan Control
menu. All that's there now are settings to control processor fan behavior,
but not system fan.

I've generally found motherboard fan control to be really problematic,
which may be why the option was removed. You are better off buying fans
that you plug directly into the power supply, and the fans determine how
fast or slow to spin. I'm using an Antec tri-cool fan which came with the
Solo case. The fan has a 3-position switch. The default was the slowest
spin setting and all is well and quiet. Scythe makes some really quiet
fans also:

http://www.scythe-usa.com/

https://www.mixmaster.it

John Doe

Actually, fan control is simple electronics.

George Orwell <nobody mixmaster.it> wrote:

> Looks like Intel removed fan control for system fans under the Fan Control
> menu. All that's there now are settings to control processor fan behavior,
> but not system fan.
>
> I've generally found motherboard fan control to be really problematic,
> which may be why the option was removed. You are better off buying fans
> that you plug directly into the power supply, and the fans determine how
> fast or slow to spin. I'm using an Antec tri-cool fan which came with the
> Solo case. The fan has a 3-position switch. The default was the slowest
> spin setting and all is well and quiet. Scythe makes some really quiet
> fans also:
>
> http://www.scythe-usa.com/
>
> Il mittente di questo messaggio|The sender address of this
> non corrisponde ad un utente |message is not related to a real
> reale ma all'indirizzo fittizio|person but to a fake address of an
> di un sistema anonimizzatore |anonymous system
> Per maggiori informazioni |For more info
> https://www.mixmaster.it

> From: George Orwell <nobody mixmaster.it>
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.intel
> Subject: Re: DP35DP, no fan control, BIOS options not showing?
> Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 05:26:32 +0200 (CEST)

John Doe

I've tried flashing the BIOS to a version prior to 413 but it won't
take. Maybe being unable to revert has something to do with having
installed the Thermal Management Driver. Also, I was unable to
completely remove the BIOS jumper and reboot to do a recovery
install from a CD, the system hangs at startup, repeatedly trying to
access the CD drive (I let it go for six minutes).

The fan is fixed at 1000 rpm, so my new E6850 CPU cannot be
exercised without overheating. Bummer.

John Doe

Jack D <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

.... <see the prior post>

Thanks for the information.

I don't fully understand the justification for what they appear to
be saying, but it's not just the behavior anyway, it's the fact BIOS
settings are missing. Please let me know if you see the fan control
options in your BIOS.

I also had a problem with removing the BIOS jumper to do a recovery
BIOS update. The system hangs while trying to access the CD drive
after the jumper is removed. Then I did a maintenance startup and
noticed that the QST was turned off. Turned it on but that didn't
make any difference anywhere.

I'm a gamer, so I need the CPU cooling for using both cores. My
workaround is to alter the CPU fan connections. It's no big deal
considering I got a mainboard for half-price, and I don't mind doing
electrical alterations.

Good luck and have fun.

John Doe

By the way.

In case you run into the same problem with the CPU fan stuck at 1050
rpm. As per the mainboard manual, three pin fan connectors can be
attached. In order to make the fan rotate at about twice its speed,
you can simply sever the fourth lead/wire. Apparently that lead
controls the fan speed and keeps it low.

I'm convinced that something is messed up in the BIOS, maybe having
something to do with the chipset.

John Doe

Well, it's been running full-time for over two days including some
heavy online gaming, so all appears to be well otherwise. The fan
problem is no big deal.

RSCUE51@gmail.com

On May 13, 5:33 am, John Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Well, it's been running full-time for over two days including some
> heavy online gaming, so all appears to be well otherwise. The fan
> problem is no big deal.

That's good news. Couple of questions John or anyone reading this. On
the mainboard's CPU fan header, is it a 4 pin connection or is it a 3
pin? Both CPU fans I have are 4-pin so hoping for some kind of fan
speed control from the mobo. Are you running Windows Vista or XP? XP
might still be the choice for gamers but I'm not one. I'm choosing
Vista and concerned about the SP1 now coming out already on the OEM
disks you can get. Did find some complaints in Microsoft's TechNet
forum of people having compatability problems using the new SP1 with
Vista and with the Intel DP35DP board. Hoping that it won't cause
problems with the mainboard on the first time boot-up after installing
all components. Still I think I will order this board and see what
happens.
Jack

John Doe

> ... all appears to be well otherwise.

Except I'm getting program memory errors. I ran memtest86 overnight
and got no errors, so I suspect it's software.

I do hardware and I used to enjoy messing with Windows all day
long, but I'd rather be messing around with applications nowadays.
If I had to do it again, I would've ordered one of the Intel G33/G35
chipset motherboards instead of the DP35DP.