Dreaded Inspiron 1545 "Plugged In - Not Charging"

Rich

Greetings,

In July 2009 I purchased a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop as an 8th grade
graduation gift for my daughter. About six months ago she informs me that
the battery won't charge. A quick internet search revealed pages of issues
with about a half dozen "solutions" to the problem that may or may not work,
ranging from software (Flash BIOS to latest, uninstall/reinstall power
management software) to hardware (Charger cord, power board, motherboard,
battery). Dell's modus operandi seemed to randomly perform one of the four
hardware solutions which would work for a few months after which the problem
would return. Then the 1 year warranties would run out. Since the laptop
dual-boots with Vista/Windows 7, reproducing the problem in both OS's ruled
out software. I jiggled the cord & it seemed OK for a few months. Now, it
will only charge with a wad of foam wedged under the cable connection to the
laptop while sitting on a hard surface. Based on this, I can understand
whereby a new cord or power board may fix the problem for a few months until
whatever faulty pin/contact fails again. Unless Dell embraced the issue &
beefed up the faulty part, I can see where this may be a losing proposition
unless I can repair it myself & the required part is relatively inexpensive.
I know there are several computer repair experts on this group. Before I
waste time trying a new charging cord, power board or motherboard, do any of
you have experience with or repairing this problem? If so, can you confirm
what hardware need replacing? I read one post on the web which pretty
definitively claims that the power board behind the plug receptacle need
replacing. Is this the case? I have extensive experience repairing my own
desktops & some experience upgrading an old 1997 EPS laptop about 10 years
ago. If the power board needs replacing, is soldering required? If not, is
it a repair that an amateur enthusiast could perform.
Finally, if the cost of fixing this is several hundred dollars, what is the
consensus of this group as to the best laptop in the $600 to $700 range that
can reasonably sustain some wear & tear without "breaking" somehow?
Thanks for looking.

Rich

Justin

On 4/27/2011 2:06 AM, Rich wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> In July 2009 I purchased a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop as an 8th grade
> graduation gift for my daughter. About six months ago she informs me
> that the battery won't charge. A quick internet search revealed pages of
> issues with about a half dozen "solutions" to the problem that may or
> may not work, ranging from software (Flash BIOS to latest,
> uninstall/reinstall power management software) to hardware (Charger
> cord, power board, motherboard, battery). Dell's modus operandi seemed
> to randomly perform one of the four hardware solutions which would work
> for a few months after which the problem would return. Then the 1 year
> warranties would run out. Since the laptop dual-boots with Vista/Windows
> 7, reproducing the problem in both OS's ruled out software. I jiggled
> the cord & it seemed OK for a few months. Now, it will only charge with
> a wad of foam wedged under the cable connection to the laptop while
> sitting on a hard surface. Based on this, I can understand whereby a new
> cord or power board may fix the problem for a few months until whatever
> faulty pin/contact fails again. Unless Dell embraced the issue & beefed
> up the faulty part, I can see where this may be a losing proposition
> unless I can repair it myself & the required part is relatively
> inexpensive.
> I know there are several computer repair experts on this group. Before I
> waste time trying a new charging cord, power board or motherboard, do
> any of you have experience with or repairing this problem? If so, can
> you confirm what hardware need replacing? I read one post on the web
> which pretty definitively claims that the power board behind the plug
> receptacle need replacing. Is this the case? I have extensive experience
> repairing my own desktops & some experience upgrading an old 1997 EPS
> laptop about 10 years ago. If the power board needs replacing, is
> soldering required? If not, is it a repair that an amateur enthusiast
> could perform.
> Finally, if the cost of fixing this is several hundred dollars, what is
> the consensus of this group as to the best laptop in the $600 to $700
> range that can reasonably sustain some wear & tear without "breaking"
> somehow?
> Thanks for looking.
>
> Rich

Sounds like your DC plug is damaged and not making good contact.
Macbooks have the Magsafe which eliminates this problem.

If you know somebody who can solder he can resolder or replace just the
DC port on the board.

Ben Myers

On Apr 27, 6:37*am, Justin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 4/27/2011 2:06 AM, Rich wrote:
>

> > Greetings,

> > In July 2009 I purchased a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop as an 8th grade
> > graduation gift for my daughter. About six months ago she informs me
> > that the battery won't charge. A quick internet search revealed pages of
> > issues with about a half dozen "solutions" to the problem that may or
> > may not work, ranging from software (Flash BIOS to latest,
> > uninstall/reinstall power management software) to hardware (Charger
> > cord, power board, motherboard, battery). Dell's modus operandi seemed
> > to randomly perform one of the four hardware solutions which would work
> > for a few months after which the problem would return. Then the 1 year
> > warranties would run out. Since the laptop dual-boots with Vista/Windows
> > 7, reproducing the problem in both OS's ruled out software. I jiggled
> > the cord & it seemed OK for a few months. Now, it will only charge with
> > a wad of foam wedged under the cable connection to the laptop while
> > sitting on a hard surface. Based on this, I can understand whereby a new
> > cord or power board may fix the problem for a few months until whatever
> > faulty pin/contact fails again. Unless Dell embraced the issue & beefed
> > up the faulty part, I can see where this may be a losing proposition
> > unless I can repair it myself & the required part is relatively
> > inexpensive.
> > I know there are several computer repair experts on this group. Before I
> > waste time trying a new charging cord, power board or motherboard, do
> > any of you have experience with or repairing this problem? If so, can
> > you confirm what hardware need replacing? I read one post on the web
> > which pretty definitively claims that the power board behind the plug
> > receptacle need replacing. Is this the case? I have extensive experience
> > repairing my own desktops & some experience upgrading an old 1997 EPS
> > laptop about 10 years ago. If the power board needs replacing, is
> > soldering required? If not, is it a repair that an amateur enthusiast
> > could perform.
> > Finally, if the cost of fixing this is several hundred dollars, what is
> > the consensus of this group as to the best laptop in the $600 to $700
> > range that can reasonably sustain some wear & tear without "breaking"
> > somehow?
> > Thanks for looking.

> > Rich

> Sounds like your DC plug is damaged and not making good contact.
> Macbooks have the Magsafe which eliminates this problem.
>
> If you know somebody who can solder he can resolder or replace just the
> DC port on the board.

Yes, failed power jack. A chronic problem in the industry, not just
with Dells. Power jack usually held in place only by cheap, flimsy,
soft solder. Planned obsolesence? ... Ben Myers

Christopher Muto

On 4/27/2011 2:06 AM, Rich wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> In July 2009 I purchased a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop as an 8th grade
> graduation gift for my daughter. About six months ago she informs me
> that the battery won't charge. A quick internet search revealed pages of
> issues with about a half dozen "solutions" to the problem that may or
> may not work, ranging from software (Flash BIOS to latest,
> uninstall/reinstall power management software) to hardware (Charger
> cord, power board, motherboard, battery). Dell's modus operandi seemed
> to randomly perform one of the four hardware solutions which would work
> for a few months after which the problem would return. Then the 1 year
> warranties would run out. Since the laptop dual-boots with Vista/Windows
> 7, reproducing the problem in both OS's ruled out software. I jiggled
> the cord & it seemed OK for a few months. Now, it will only charge with
> a wad of foam wedged under the cable connection to the laptop while
> sitting on a hard surface. Based on this, I can understand whereby a new
> cord or power board may fix the problem for a few months until whatever
> faulty pin/contact fails again. Unless Dell embraced the issue & beefed
> up the faulty part, I can see where this may be a losing proposition
> unless I can repair it myself & the required part is relatively
> inexpensive.
> I know there are several computer repair experts on this group. Before I
> waste time trying a new charging cord, power board or motherboard, do
> any of you have experience with or repairing this problem? If so, can
> you confirm what hardware need replacing? I read one post on the web
> which pretty definitively claims that the power board behind the plug
> receptacle need replacing. Is this the case? I have extensive experience
> repairing my own desktops & some experience upgrading an old 1997 EPS
> laptop about 10 years ago. If the power board needs replacing, is
> soldering required? If not, is it a repair that an amateur enthusiast
> could perform.
> Finally, if the cost of fixing this is several hundred dollars, what is
> the consensus of this group as to the best laptop in the $600 to $700
> range that can reasonably sustain some wear & tear without "breaking"
> somehow?
> Thanks for looking.
>
> Rich

the symptoms suggest that the power jack inside of the laptop has come
loose from the power jack board and/or the jack has internal damage.
the part is under $5 from many sellers on ebay but requires that you do
a nearly complete disassembly of the system and solder on the new part.
alternatively you can buy a complete power jack board for about $30 on
ebay and avoid the soldering. still, installing even the power jack
board represents a bit work and probably beyond what most people want to
do themselves. i suspect it would be about a $250 job from a repair
shop to do for you. have a look on youtube to see what is involved for
the repair:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC0B7emR51I
They show the jack, but the do not show soldering in a replacement.
You may notice the person going back and forth to disconnect or unscrew
missed items. this would not happen if you or that person followed the
instructions in the service manual available on support.dell.com.

Rich

> the symptoms suggest that the power jack inside of the laptop has come
> loose from the power jack board and/or the jack has internal damage. the
> part is under $5 from many sellers on ebay but requires that you do a
> nearly complete disassembly of the system and solder on the new part.
> alternatively you can buy a complete power jack board for about $30 on
> ebay and avoid the soldering. still, installing even the power jack board
> represents a bit work and probably beyond what most people want to do
> themselves. i suspect it would be about a $250 job from a repair shop to
> do for you. have a look on youtube to see what is involved for the repair:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC0B7emR51I
> They show the jack, but the do not show soldering in a replacement.
> You may notice the person going back and forth to disconnect or unscrew
> missed items. this would not happen if you or that person followed the
> instructions in the service manual available on support.dell.com.

Unbelievable......thanks for the link to that video. However, when I watched
several of the other videos showing uninstalling the power management
software, removing the battery & then replacing the battery, it made me
pause. I just checked her laptop & it is now charging without any help. Now
I am not totally convinced it is a bad power board. I will watch the
situation for a while. If it reappears, I will try the other methods. With
my luck, if I tear down the laptop it will not boot or the video will not
work,etc. upon reassembly. By the time you pay a professional you're
practically half way to a new laptop. If it is broken hardware, it
definitely seems like planned obsolescence as mentioned by Ben in a previous
post.
Thanks for all the inputs.

Rich

rb

Rich;1285752 Wrote:
> In July 2009 I purchased a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop as an 8th grad
> graduation gift for my daughter. About six months ago she informs m
> that the battery won't charge.
> I jiggled the cord & it seemed OK for a few months. Now, it will onl
> charge with a wad of foam wedged under the cable connection to the
> laptop while sitting on a hard surface. Based on this, I can understan
>
> whereby a new cord or power board may fix the problem for a few month
> until whatever faulty pin/contact fails again.
> Before I waste time trying a new charging cord, power board o
> motherboard, do any of you have experience with or repairing thi
> problem? If so, can you confirm what hardware need replacing? I read on
> post on the web which pretty definitively claims that the power boar
> behind the plug receptacle need replacing. Is this the case?
> If the power board needs replacing, is soldering required? If not, is
> it a repair that an amateur enthusiast could perform.
>
> Finally, if the cost of fixing this is several hundred dollars, what i
> the
> consensus of this group as to the best laptop in the $600 to $700 rang
> that
> can reasonably sustain some wear & tear without "breaking" somehow?
> Thanks for looking.
>
> Rich

The solder joints at the power jack may have failed, or the power boar
may have 'fatigue' damage....tugging on the adapter cord.
That said, the power board costs approx $50, is approx 1x7 and attache
with 2 screws...relatively easy to remove but requires removal of th
motherboard and other components.
Please verify the exact part number you need first, but this should b
the one--> Inspiron 1545 Charger Board Power USB 48.4AQ03.021

As for a new unit, imho Gateway, and HP are among the best, (H
business models are fairly rugged and a few are in your price range). :

Rich

> The solder joints at the power jack may have failed, or the power board
> may have 'fatigue' damage....tugging on the adapter cord.
> That said, the power board costs approx $50, is approx 1x7 and attached
> with 2 screws...relatively easy to remove but requires removal of the
> motherboard and other components.
> Please verify the exact part number you need first, but this should be
> the one--> Inspiron 1545 Charger Board Power USB 48.4AQ03.021
>
> As for a new unit, imho Gateway, and HP are among the best, (HP
> business models are fairly rugged and a few are in your price range).

Thanks for the providing that exact part number. I will save it hoping I
will never need to have one installed. Thanks also for the opinions on
laptop recommendations regarding ruggedness. Interestingly many of the
videos of this problem on Ebay were for HP laptops. All were fixed at least
temporarily with removing the power management software from the control
panel, taking out the battery & replacing it after running the laptop
without it for a while. Then the power management device is reinstalled by
Windows 7 or Vista. One person routinely performs a system restore when the
problem returns every few months. This seems to point to some driver getting
corrupted in Windows 7/Vista & doing a system restore from the last time the
computer had no problem or reinstalling the driver corrects it.
I believe that it probably is an unrelated combination of a software &
hardware problem.
Thanks again for the input.

Rich

mm

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 22:40:30 -0500, rb <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Rich;1285752 Wrote:
>> In July 2009 I purchased a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop as an 8th grade
>> graduation gift for my daughter. About six months ago she informs me
>> that the battery won't charge.
>> I jiggled the cord & it seemed OK for a few months. Now, it will only
>> charge with a wad of foam wedged under the cable connection to the
>> laptop while sitting on a hard surface. Based on this, I can understand
>>
>> whereby a new cord or power board may fix the problem for a few months
>> until whatever faulty pin/contact fails again.
>> Before I waste time trying a new charging cord, power board or
>> motherboard, do any of you have experience with or repairing this
>> problem? If so, can you confirm what hardware need replacing? I read one
>> post on the web which pretty definitively claims that the power board
>> behind the plug receptacle need replacing. Is this the case?
>> If the power board needs replacing, is soldering required? If not, is
>> it a repair that an amateur enthusiast could perform.
>>
>> Finally, if the cost of fixing this is several hundred dollars, what is
>> the
>> consensus of this group as to the best laptop in the $600 to $700 range
>> that
>> can reasonably sustain some wear & tear without "breaking" somehow?
>> Thanks for looking.
>>
>> Rich

>The solder joints at the power jack may have failed, or the power board
>may have 'fatigue' damage....tugging on the adapter cord.
>That said, the power board costs approx $50, is approx 1x7 and attached
>with 2 screws...relatively easy to remove but requires removal of the
>motherboard and other components.
>Please verify the exact part number you need first, but this should be
>the one--> Inspiron 1545 Charger Board Power USB 48.4AQ03.021
>
>As for a new unit, imho Gateway, and HP are among the best, (HP
>business models are fairly rugged and a few are in your price range).

Does the plug on the cord ever break? Or is it always the jack?

The people who gave me the 4700 also gave me a C800, but they don't
have the power supply. It takes a PA-6 but I guess there are other
PA-n's, depending on the model of laptop. The PA-6 is only 10 or 12
dollars on Amazon with no shipping if you can find 15 other
no-shipping dollars to spend. Somewhere there was also the power
supply cord without the cord from the wall to the brick, or something
like that, for 10 dollars.

Someone sells the plub alone, for about 4 dollars, but then chargea
mimimum of $6.25 for shipping, "Cheapest shipping with tracking", so
their insistence on giving me tracking makes the item cost 2.5 times
as much as it did. Bettter to buy the whole cord.

BillW50

In news:ip8rm7$m2k$(E-Mail Removed),
Justin wrote:
> Sounds like your DC plug is damaged and not making good contact.
> Macbooks have the Magsafe which eliminates this problem.

My first laptop was back in '84 and I had about 20 laptops since then.
And I never had a DC jack problem, but I have worked on many that have.
And that Magsafe thing can pop off very easy. So I don't see that as a
very good solution. Although probably better than nothing. ;-)

Although what gets overlooked a lot are laptops with a docking station
option. As I never heard of a docking station connector ever going bad
yet. And I have been using them for years and connect, remove, and
reconnect a lot with them. Plus there are no cables to remove to go
portable either. ;-)

--
Bill
Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

Ben Myers

On Apr 30, 9:01*am, "BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Innews:ip8rm7$m2k$(E-Mail Removed),
>
> Justin wrote:
> > Sounds like your DC plug is damaged and not making good contact.
> > Macbooks have the Magsafe which eliminates this problem.

> My first laptop was back in '84 and I had about 20 laptops since then.
> And I never had a DC jack problem, but I have worked on many that have.
> And that Magsafe thing can pop off very easy. So I don't see that as a
> very good solution. Although probably better than nothing. ;-)
>
> Although what gets overlooked a lot are laptops with a docking station
> option. As I never heard of a docking station connector ever going bad
> yet. And I have been using them for years and connect, remove, and
> reconnect a lot with them. Plus there are no cables to remove to go
> portable either. ;-)
>
> --
> Bill
> Gateway M465e ('06 era) - OE-QuoteFix v1.19.2
> Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

So a docking station is a condom for your power jack? ;.) Bet you
never thought of it that way. But I watch South Park... Ben