Drive won't spin down, LOUD, frozen

smk17

Recently my Powermac G5 dual 1.8 goes into this loud, spinning mode and
nothing will stop it. It seems to happen after it's been asleep, it
usually never happens when I'm working on it. Actually I don't ever
remember it doing it when I'm working on it.

This morning I walked into the computer room and the fan, or the drive
is running very loud, it's asleep and hitting the space bar won't wake
it up, it's frozen and screaming! I wonder how long it's been doing
this? 10 minutes? 2 hours? 5 hours?

The only way to stop it is to hard restart, pressing the towers on/off
button (the one below the little light) in for a few seconds.

It's done this about 8-10 times in the last 4 months. I've had it for 2
years with no problem like this.

Is there anything I should check? Right now it's purring like a kitten,
I can barely hear it.

Thanks

smk17

smk17 wrote:
> Recently my Powermac G5 dual 1.8 goes into this loud, spinning mode and
> nothing will stop it. It seems to happen after it's been asleep, it
> usually never happens when I'm working on it. Actually I don't ever
> remember it doing it when I'm working on it.
>
> This morning I walked into the computer room and the fan, or the drive
> is running very loud, it's asleep and hitting the space bar won't wake
> it up, it's frozen and screaming! I wonder how long it's been doing
> this? 10 minutes? 2 hours? 5 hours?
>
> The only way to stop it is to hard restart, pressing the towers on/off
> button (the one below the little light) in for a few seconds.
>
> It's done this about 8-10 times in the last 4 months. I've had it for 2
> years with no problem like this.
>
> Is there anything I should check? Right now it's purring like a kitten,
> I can barely hear it.
>
> Thanks

Actually, it just happened again and it sounds like the fan running at
full blast, not the hard drive. But it froze again and I had to hard
restart.

Alice Faber

In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>,
"smk17" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> smk17 wrote:
> > Recently my Powermac G5 dual 1.8 goes into this loud, spinning mode and
> > nothing will stop it. It seems to happen after it's been asleep, it
> > usually never happens when I'm working on it. Actually I don't ever
> > remember it doing it when I'm working on it.
> >
> > This morning I walked into the computer room and the fan, or the drive
> > is running very loud, it's asleep and hitting the space bar won't wake
> > it up, it's frozen and screaming! I wonder how long it's been doing
> > this? 10 minutes? 2 hours? 5 hours?
> >
> > The only way to stop it is to hard restart, pressing the towers on/off
> > button (the one below the little light) in for a few seconds.
> >
> > It's done this about 8-10 times in the last 4 months. I've had it for 2
> > years with no problem like this.
> >
> > Is there anything I should check? Right now it's purring like a kitten,
> > I can barely hear it.
> >
> > Thanks

> Actually, it just happened again and it sounds like the fan running at
> full blast, not the hard drive. But it froze again and I had to hard
> restart.

Once you hear the fan running at full blast, the computer has already
frozen. Fan speed is normally controlled by some aspect of the OS. When
the system has crashed, it falls back to the default of full speed
ahead. You'll hear the same thing if you start the computer in Firewire
target mode.

As to why, when you restart the computer, find the Console application
(it might be in your Utilities folder). This should give you a list of
log files you can inspect. Look for the most recent version of something
with Crash in the name, and it might give you some clues (or someone
here can interpret the clues for you!).

--
AF
"Non Sequitur U has a really, really lousy debate team."

Clever Monkey

smk17 wrote:
> smk17 wrote:
>> Recently my Powermac G5 dual 1.8 goes into this loud, spinning mode and
>> nothing will stop it. It seems to happen after it's been asleep, it
>> usually never happens when I'm working on it. Actually I don't ever
>> remember it doing it when I'm working on it.
>>
>> This morning I walked into the computer room and the fan, or the drive
>> is running very loud, it's asleep and hitting the space bar won't wake
>> it up, it's frozen and screaming! I wonder how long it's been doing
>> this? 10 minutes? 2 hours? 5 hours?
>>
>> The only way to stop it is to hard restart, pressing the towers on/off
>> button (the one below the little light) in for a few seconds.
>>
>> It's done this about 8-10 times in the last 4 months. I've had it for 2
>> years with no problem like this.
>>
>> Is there anything I should check? Right now it's purring like a kitten,
>> I can barely hear it.
>>
>> Thanks

> Actually, it just happened again and it sounds like the fan running at
> full blast, not the hard drive. But it froze again and I had to hard
> restart.

Is it really hung? Can you ssh in from another box? I've had issues
with crashy screen savers that would lock up most of the GUI, but
services were still responding. I logged in and killed the process that
was spinning so hard.

Hard Drives Spin Down/Spin Up Daddy Dell 4 02-15-2011 06:48 PM
G4 frozen during back-up to external drive Net Apple 0 11-11-2007 06:50 PM
cd drive spin up problem nick Laptops 1 01-31-2006 10:07 PM
[A8V-E Deluxe] SATA drive doesn't even spin if data cable is connected,but it spins if only power is attached Aggro Asus 2 10-19-2005 08:13 PM
My hard drive doesn't spin Vincent Hardware 4 06-29-2004 07:42 PM