driver update reasons?

Timothy Daniels

Does anyone know where to find info on why a driver
or BIOS should need updating?

The Support page for my Precision T3500 lists a whole bunch
of drivers that are "Recommended" for updating. One, the
"Dell-Utility" driver, is even rated "Urgent". My BIOS is one in
the range of A07 to A09, and the latest BIOS is A15 and rated
"Recommended".

But the brain-dead rep at Dell couldn't fathom why I would
to know what the improvements were or why one was rated
"Urgent" or even what it did. Microsoft, at least, says *why*
an update should be made. Is there a way to find that out
from Dell?

*TimDaniels*

Boris

"Timothy Daniels" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) m:

> Does anyone know where to find info on why a driver
> or BIOS should need updating?
>
> The Support page for my Precision T3500 lists a whole bunch
> of drivers that are "Recommended" for updating. One, the
> "Dell-Utility" driver, is even rated "Urgent". My BIOS is one in
> the range of A07 to A09, and the latest BIOS is A15 and rated
> "Recommended".
>
> But the brain-dead rep at Dell couldn't fathom why I would
> to know what the improvements were or why one was rated
> "Urgent" or even what it did. Microsoft, at least, says *why*
> an update should be made. Is there a way to find that out
> from Dell?
>
> *TimDaniels*

If you expand the driver list (button with blue down arrow, and then
"applies to", and then "fixes and enhancements", it'll tell you what you
are looking for. It's worked everytime for me. But, I do notice on some
of the T3500 drivers, you have to first click on the file link first,
then fixes and enhancements. Here's what it shows for the T3500 A15
version BIOS:

"Add High IO performance option in Setup. 2.Disable QPI L1 when C-States
have been disabled. 3.Add the changes that ties ASPM to the C-State
switch. 4.Add TSEG protection feature ENABLE_TSEG_SECURITY."

Whatever that means...

Boris

Boris <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:XnsA0A6D39F554E3nospamnospaminvalid@88.198.24 4.100:

> "Timothy Daniels" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) m:
>
>> Does anyone know where to find info on why a driver
>> or BIOS should need updating?
>>
>> The Support page for my Precision T3500 lists a whole bunch
>> of drivers that are "Recommended" for updating. One, the
>> "Dell-Utility" driver, is even rated "Urgent". My BIOS is one in
>> the range of A07 to A09, and the latest BIOS is A15 and rated
>> "Recommended".
>>
>> But the brain-dead rep at Dell couldn't fathom why I would
>> to know what the improvements were or why one was rated
>> "Urgent" or even what it did. Microsoft, at least, says *why*
>> an update should be made. Is there a way to find that out
>> from Dell?
>>
>> *TimDaniels*
>>

> If you expand the driver list (button with blue down arrow, and then
> "applies to", and then "fixes and enhancements", it'll tell you what
> you are looking for. It's worked everytime for me. But, I do notice
> on some of the T3500 drivers, you have to first click on the file link
> first, then fixes and enhancements. Here's what it shows for the
> T3500 A15 version BIOS:
>
> "Add High IO performance option in Setup. 2.Disable QPI L1 when
> C-States have been disabled. 3.Add the changes that ties ASPM to the
> C-State switch. 4.Add TSEG protection feature ENABLE_TSEG_SECURITY."
>
> Whatever that means...

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/.../Product/preci
sion-t3500?DriverId=P8NNR&FileId=2992848412&DriverName= DELL%2CDSK%20PROG%
2CBIOS%2CPWS-T3500%2CA15%2CA15&urlProductCode=False

or

http://tinyurl.com/9sw372x

Timothy Daniels

"Boris" wrote:
> "Timothy Daniels" wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know where to find info on why a driver
>> or BIOS should need updating?
>>
>> The Support page for my Precision T3500 lists a whole bunch
>> of drivers that are "Recommended" for updating. One, the
>> "Dell-Utility" driver, is even rated "Urgent". My BIOS is one in
>> the range of A07 to A09, and the latest BIOS is A15 and rated
>> "Recommended".
>>
>> But the brain-dead rep at Dell couldn't fathom why I would
>> to know what the improvements were or why one was rated
>> "Urgent" or even what it did. Microsoft, at least, says *why*
>> an update should be made. Is there a way to find that out
>> from Dell?
>>
>> *TimDaniels*
>>

> If you expand the driver list (button with blue down arrow, and then
> "applies to", and then "fixes and enhancements", it'll tell you what you
> are looking for. It's worked everytime for me. But, I do notice on some
> of the T3500 drivers, you have to first click on the file link first,
> then fixes and enhancements.

OK, that tells me a bit more. But somehow, I still don't feel compelled.
:-) especially about that "Urgent" rating on the Dell-Utility update which
is described thusly:

"DSS_UTIL_WIN_R260000.EXE

"Update Packages for Windows can be used as a stand-alone application to apply
an update and ensure that specific validation criteria are met before performing
the update. See the Dell Update Package User's Guide for more information.
Note: As of October 10th, 2005, Update Packages for Windows will be digitally
signed. Customers using Dell OpenManageT IT Assistant to deploy updates must
upgrade to version 7.1 or later. "

> Here's what it shows for the T3500 A15 version BIOS:
>
> "Add High IO performance option in Setup. 2.Disable QPI L1 when C-States
> have been disabled. 3.Add the changes that ties ASPM to the C-State
> switch. 4.Add TSEG protection feature ENABLE_TSEG_SECURITY."
>
> Whatever that means...

<chuckle> No wonder Dell doesn't tell its tech reps what the upgrade does -
they'd have to spend too much time learning what it meant, and then too
much time explaining it to the customers!

*TimDaniels*

Timothy Daniels

Following the links as Boris suggested, I see that the
update to the Dell System Software is described as
follows:

"1) Add the following Microsoft hot fixes: 975755 976035 972903 975163
2) remove support for Windows Vista RTM. Dell System Software now requires SP1 or higher."

I wonder if the hot fixes were already covered by Windows Updates.
Is it OK to apply them twice?

*TimDaniels*

Ben Myers

On Sunday, August 5, 2012 3:33:36 PM UTC-4, Timothy Daniels wrote:
> Does anyone know where to find info on why a driver
>
> or BIOS should need updating?
>

> The Support page for my Precision T3500 lists a whole bunch
>
> of drivers that are "Recommended" for updating. One, the
>
> "Dell-Utility" driver, is even rated "Urgent". My BIOS is one in
>
> the range of A07 to A09, and the latest BIOS is A15 and rated
>
> "Recommended".
>

> But the brain-dead rep at Dell couldn't fathom why I would
>
> to know what the improvements were or why one was rated
>
> "Urgent" or even what it did. Microsoft, at least, says *why*
>
> an update should be made. Is there a way to find that out
>
> from Dell?
>

> *TimDaniels*

Unless there is an URGENT BIOS update due to some real functional screwup in the way the system operates, most of the RECOMMENDED BIOS updates typically handle more CPUs. To be more specific, they accept more CPUIDs than previously... Ben Myers

restoring the correct video driver after MS update reset to defaultVGA driver vbDavidC Dell 15 08-15-2009 05:19 AM
Update Asus Update? Mox 13 Asus 3 04-11-2004 07:54 AM
What's this driver update at windows update for ATI cards do/for? The Mighty MF ATI 13 03-06-2004 01:35 PM
driver update + bios update left me without cd-rw TEHarmer1 MSI 3 11-08-2003 04:29 PM
Windows Update SoundStorm update 8 September 2003 John Boy Asus 2 11-01-2003 07:08 PM