Dual Channel Memory support

Bobby

I've got new Intel Motherboard 865 GLC which
has Dual Channel Memory support. The motherboard
has 4 RAM slots. Intel suggest in manual to instal,
for example, two similar 256 MB RAM memory sticks
(one in each channel slot) in order benefit from
Dual channel support. I however was planning to install
one 512 MB Ran memory stick. In this case I obviously
won't be able "to benefit" from Dual Channel Memory
feature.

Can anyone clearly explain what is "Dual Channel"
feature and what is its usefullness?

From the performance point of view what memory configuration
is preferable:

a) Two 256 MB RAM memory sticks with Dual Channel Memory support

or

b) One 512 MB RAM memory stick without Dual Channel Memory support

Thanks in advance

DaveW

The two 256 MB dual channel memory sticks will have TWICE the memory data
bbandwidth of the single 512 MB stick. In other words, dual channel memory
is noticeably faster to use.

--
DaveW

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...