DUAL CHANNEL MEMORY

Sharad Gupta

what do yu mean by dual channel memory

MyndPhlyp

"Sharad Gupta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> what do yu mean by dual channel memory

Dual Channel is a memory access throughput enhancement on the motherboard.
On the D875PBZ, there are two banks of memory - Channel A and Channel B -
with two slots each. By populating Slot 0 on Channel A and Channel B, the
Dual Channel feature is available. If you instead populated Slot 0 and Slot
1 of Channel A, the board operates in Single Channel mode. For best
throughput, all the DIMMs must be matched in speed and size allowing Dynamic
Mode in addition to either Dual Channel or Single Channel. (Four
configuration possibilities total.).

DaveW

Motherboards that are designed for it can run specially tested paired
IDENTICAL DDR RAM sticks in dual channel mode which doubles the available
bandwidth of the RAM, compared to standard single channel DDR.

--
DaveW

"Sharad Gupta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> what do yu mean by dual channel memory

daytripper

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 00:59:59 GMT, "DaveW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Motherboards that are designed for it can run specially tested paired
>IDENTICAL DDR RAM sticks in dual channel mode which doubles the available
>bandwidth of the RAM, compared to standard single channel DDR.

Leave off the "specially tested" and you'd be correct...

/daytripper

Bill Davidsen

DaveW wrote:
> Motherboards that are designed for it can run specially tested paired
> IDENTICAL DDR RAM sticks in dual channel mode which doubles the available
> bandwidth of the RAM, compared to standard single channel DDR.

My original PentiumPro Supermicro board offered two or four way
interleave, can't remember if it was parallel or just to improve
latency. In any case, a bandwidth thing.

--
bill davidsen <(E-Mail Removed)>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc