Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

dual monitor on "regular" 2nd monitor is a wacom tablet monitor

 
 
rcdepauw
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2007, 01:45 AM
hello,

I am using Vista on a tablet pc and that just works fine. I can use the
tablet pen input "window". I have another pc with dual monitors. One is a
regular flat screen, the other one is a wacom "tablet monitor", a monitor
with a pen.

However I don't get to see the pen input panel that does the handwriting
recognition.

How can I make that work so that I can use the pen for "text input" on the
second, wacom, tablet monitor ?

Thanks,

Ron

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2007, 03:43 AM
>> on the second, wacom, tablet monitor ? <<

The following is just a guess... have not tried it.

See if it's possible to set the dual monitor up with the tablet as
"monitor #1" rather than two... this should be "dooable" and you can
arrange the position so the tablet (#1) is off to the lower right
(assuming that's where you want it.)

That should put the startmenu/taskbar/etc on the tablet and I'm guessing
that it will accept pen input and use monitor 2 as your primary
workspace by moving windows there.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Josh Einstein
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2007, 08:26 AM
You need a HID driver for Vista to flip into "I'm a Tablet PC" mode.
However, you can still access all the goodies like the TIP, Journal, sticky
notes, etc even without this HID driver.

Check with Wacom cause I don't know for sure about that device, but they
have a HID driver that works on Vista to enable this stuff. But if you want
the TIP for now you can right click the task bar -> toolbars -> tabet pc
input panel.

If you don't see it, be sure you have an edition other than Home Basic and
that you didn't turn it off in the Add/Remove Windows Components control
panel.

--
Josh Einstein (Tablet PC MVP)
Einstein Technologies
Tablet Enhancements for Outlook - Try it free: www.tabletoutlook.com


"rcdepauw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hello,
>
> I am using Vista on a tablet pc and that just works fine. I can use the
> tablet pen input "window". I have another pc with dual monitors. One is a
> regular flat screen, the other one is a wacom "tablet monitor", a monitor
> with a pen.
>
> However I don't get to see the pen input panel that does the handwriting
> recognition.
>
> How can I make that work so that I can use the pen for "text input" on the
> second, wacom, tablet monitor ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ron
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Josh... as you can tell from my post, I've found that when I have the
tablet in dual monitor mode with the tablet screen as monitor#2, the pen
doesn't function.

Any thoughts or wisdom on this... for example is it that the digitizer
software is reference related to the home screen?

Beverly Howard
 
Reply With Quote
 
Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2007, 05:07 PM
>> The following is just a guess... have not tried it. <<

Works... just set mine up with tablet as monitor #1... looks like it has
the potential of replacing the mouse with the tablet in a desktop dual
monitor scenario... will have to get used to the new taskbar location
plus the need to move apps onto the CRT after opening them.

Another anomaly is the need to assure the native lcd resolution is
set... the tablet allows a "virtual screen" where the desktop scrolls,
but the wacom can't deal with that... the pen is offset from the cursor
point.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]



 
Reply With Quote
 
Josh Einstein
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2007, 10:02 PM
With regards to digitizer on monitor #2, it's just not supported. Wisptis
(the process that converts pen movements to mouse activity) just doesn't
honor the primary monitor setting.

But regardless, the OP is having trouble getting Vista to see the Wacom
device as a true tablet which requires a HID driver. It won't solve the
issue with multi-monitors but it will get Vista to treat the Wacom device as
a true tablet. But even if Vista doesn't see a tablet, the TIP can be forced
on.

--
Josh Einstein (Tablet PC MVP)
Einstein Technologies
Tablet Enhancements for Outlook - Try it free: www.tabletoutlook.com


"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Josh... as you can tell from my post, I've found that when I have the
> tablet in dual monitor mode with the tablet screen as monitor#2, the pen
> doesn't function.
>
> Any thoughts or wisdom on this... for example is it that the digitizer
> software is reference related to the home screen?
>
> Beverly Howard


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dual monitors: 2nd dock on 2nd monitor? Suze Apple 4 08-28-2011 12:51 AM
Re: tablet uses wacom pen but.... is it really like a wacom drawingtablet? need graphics light small long batt life.. Jan Wagner Tablet PC 6 01-05-2005 01:08 PM
Re: tablet uses wacom pen but.... is it really like a wacom drawing tablet? need graphics light small long batt life.. Hal Hostetler [MVP S/U] Tablet PC 3 01-01-2005 03:56 AM
tablet software for external tablet (wacom graphire tablet) motomom Tablet PC 1 08-24-2004 11:30 PM
using tablet pc as a graphing (wacom) tablet? Compn Tablet PC 4 10-04-2003 01:42 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:49 AM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment