Dual monitors: 'Allow taskbar to span multiple monitors'

Patrick Flaherty

Hi,

Programmer in the SF East Bay. New machine: an HP/Compaq XW8000 with an OEM'ed
nVidia Quadro NVS to support two monitors.

First nVidia board I've had and am fumbling my way through the (nVidia)
software.

One twist: my old machine was running Windows Server 2000. Installed Windows
Server 2003 on the new one. A number of problems, but seem to have gotten them
mostly fixed. And have both monitors working.

The taskbar doesn't stretch across the bottom of both monitors as it did on my
old machine. Found 'Allow taskbar to span multiple monitors' in the Windows tab
in nView Desktop Manager. Ah just what I want.

Check it and hit Apply ... the 'right side' doesn't appear (my primary monitor
is the left). The contents of the taskbar show pretty clearly that it has
expanded. Except that it's not actually displaying (gee that would be helpful)
on the monitor that it was supposed to extend into.

There are a number of variables here (Windows 2003 Server being one ... as well
as the fact that I have 'closely related' but not identical monitors [two
slightly different NEC 21 inchers) ... where do I start or what might be useful
for me to know?

pat

neopolaris

http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/
"Patrick Flaherty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Programmer in the SF East Bay. New machine: an HP/Compaq XW8000 with an

OEM'ed
> nVidia Quadro NVS to support two monitors.
>
> First nVidia board I've had and am fumbling my way through the (nVidia)
> software.
>
> One twist: my old machine was running Windows Server 2000. Installed

Windows
> Server 2003 on the new one. A number of problems, but seem to have gotten

them
> mostly fixed. And have both monitors working.
>
> The taskbar doesn't stretch across the bottom of both monitors as it did

on my
> old machine. Found 'Allow taskbar to span multiple monitors' in the

Windows tab
> in nView Desktop Manager. Ah just what I want.
>
> Check it and hit Apply ... the 'right side' doesn't appear (my primary

monitor
> is the left). The contents of the taskbar show pretty clearly that it has
> expanded. Except that it's not actually displaying (gee that would be

helpful)
> on the monitor that it was supposed to extend into.
>
> There are a number of variables here (Windows 2003 Server being one ... as

well
> as the fact that I have 'closely related' but not identical monitors [two
> slightly different NEC 21 inchers) ... where do I start or what might be

useful
> for me to know?
>
> pat

Mike

Hi,
I saw your post on Google (Dual monitors: 'Allow taskbar to span
multiple monitors' ).

What caught my attention my was:
"Installed Windows Server 2003 on the new one. A number of problems,
but seem to have gotten them
mostly fixed."

Have a similar machine (dual XEON) from HP:
Am trying to set up a dual-boot development machine for XP
professional
(C: drive, 73G Seagate15K scsiU320,Basic primary part.), and 2003
Server (D:
drive, another 73G Seagate15K scsiU320,Basic primary part.).
The system is an HP XW8000, dual Zeon 2.8GHz, with Hyper-threading
enabled,
2Gig
ECC DDR Ram.
Built-in LSI logic 1020/1030 U320 SCSI Adapters. (only 1 used)
Built-in Firewire (not used but bios enabled)
Built-in Intel82540EM Ethernet (used)
Additional PCI Linksys LNE100TX Ethernet card (used)
HP DVD Writer 200j attached on Secondary IDE (Built-in Ultra ADA)
Mouse and Keyboard are attached to PS/2 ports
USB's enabled but unused.
AGP Video (NVIDIA QUADRO4 980 XGL)

Up to this point I have been unable to install Window Server 2003 on
the machine as delivered by HP (and HP does not seem to support
Windows 2003 on Workstations).

Attempted to install 2003 Server on second bare NTFS hard
drive (D.
Setup seemed to be going along fine (several reboots) had just
finished the
"Installing Devices Step". Screen turned grey (entering in graphics
mode?)with "33 minutes left" and Boom...Blue screen with "unknown
error".

Setup's "Hardware Compatibility Check" button that you are supposed
to be able to use before attempting to install will not perform the
check unless the OS is targeted for the C:
drive(XP) is upgradeable (isn't) or if it is deleted (won't..not my
goal).

If you have any insight, since you've gotten further than me, I would
be grateful.
Thanks,
Mike

Can a disk sector span multiple partitions? irotas Embedded 3 03-24-2009 01:35 PM
Taskbar span? Jeffrey Kaplan Nvidia 3 11-20-2006 03:50 PM
Allow taskbar to span Multiple monitors Jan Nvidia 5 04-18-2004 09:47 PM
Thinkpad T40 Windows 2000 ATI multiple displays (external monitor) only stretch, don't span HH [remove .nospam from email] Laptops 1 03-03-2004 08:44 PM
How to create ASR images that span multiple disks? Michael DeGuzman Apple 0 07-28-2003 07:57 PM