Dualview vs Horizontal Span (repost)

Jeffrey Kaplan

It's been four days with no response, so I'm trying again:

I've got a GeForce 7300 GS running two monitors. Info from the GeForce
properties sheet:

Video BIOS version 5.72.22.34, ForceWare version 82.65. DirectX
"DirectX 9.0 or better". Driver version 8.2.6.5

WinXP Pro SP2.

This is a new computer built to custom specs, not a National Brand
system, and not home-built.

On my old system, which has a GeForce 4800 Ti, I simply had it set to
"Dualview" mode. Now, I decided to try Horizontal Span mode. In
general, I think I prefer the spanning, now that the new card's drivers
can constrain most apps to a single monitor when told to maximize.
However, note that it is "most", not "all".

In particular, there are four programs I've found (so far, anyway) that
ignore this with no controls to manually fix it. All four have a
full-screen mode that is without a title bar. They are the full-screen
viewers in ACDSee 8, Nero Showtime (NERO suite v6), WinDVD5 and Firefox
1.5x. Firefox has both a maximize and a full-screen command. Maximize
is constrained, full-screen will span. The other three do not.

I've tried setting individual application controls for these programs
in the nVidia settings, but they, too, are being ignored.

One other thing: When set to horizontal span, if I tell it to
constrain the taskbar to a single monitor, the space the taskbar +would
have+ taken on the second monitor is "dead" - nothing can be resized
into that space, including maximizing.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"If I am ever the Hero top 100 list: #41. If my True Love is captured
and forced into marriage with the Evil Overlord, I will not attempt to
rescue her until after the ceremony, unless said ceremony will
irrevocably harm or alter her in some way.

KenP

I have span set on and Firefox works normally and I don't get a blank
extension of the task bar either. You might want to go into safe mode
and run CCleaner and then reinstall your video driver.

Jeffrey Kaplan

It is alleged that KenP claimed:

> I have span set on and Firefox works normally and I don't get a blank
> extension of the task bar either. You might want to go into safe mode
> and run CCleaner and then reinstall your video driver.

The one thing all four of those apps have in common that everything
else doesn't have is the lack of a title bar when told to go
full-screen. This does not appear to be a "reinstall to fix" problem,
this appears to be an issue with the driver and/or individual
applications themselves.

It appears that the nVidia tools need a title bar on the applications
in order to control them.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"I warn you Mariel, do not be overconfident. If I were married to
Londo Mollari I'd be concerned." "G'Kar, if you were married to Londo
Mollari, we'd all be concerned." (Amb. G'Kar and Mariel, B5 "Soul
Mates")

KenP

I have no programs--including Firefox--that don't have title bars when
in full screen mode. Is it possible you monitor is adjusted to have
supposedly viewable area above the actual viewable area?

Jeffrey Kaplan

It is alleged that KenP claimed:

> I have no programs--including Firefox--that don't have title bars when

Start Firefox. Then, assuming a Windows system, hit <F11>. Download
and install ACDSee 8, if you're not already using it, and view an image
in the image viewer window, and press <F>. Note that in both cases,
there is no title bar. If you're using two monitors in span mode AND
your settings are to not allow application spanning, what happens?

> in full screen mode. Is it possible you monitor is adjusted to have
> supposedly viewable area above the actual viewable area?

Nope. Dual LCDs. The viewing area is the viewing area. The video
settings are also set to not allow stuff to open off-screen. Doesn't
prevent me from moving something off the edge, but when restarting the
app, it will be completely within the display area.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"Laugh-a while you can, monkey boy!" (Lord John Whorfin, "Buckaroo
Banzai")

Jeffrey Kaplan

It is alleged that KenP claimed:

> I have no programs--including Firefox--that don't have title bars when
> in full screen mode. Is it possible you monitor is adjusted to have
> supposedly viewable area above the actual viewable area?

Oh, and in case it sounds otherwise, I do thank you for the help
attempts.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #55.
The deformed mutants and odd-ball psychotics will have their place in
my Legions of Terror. However before I send them out on important
covert missions that require tact and subtlety, I will first see if
there is anyone else equally qualified who would attract less
attention.

KenP

Well, I loaded Firefox and hit F11. Gave me a Save As screen when focus
is in FF and nothing if the focus is on the desktop. Not going to
install a program I don't want for the other part.

All I can tell you is that the situation is unique to your system. It
is either a driver artifact or some tweak program letting you or it
change something.

I am afraid you're on your own from this point.

sshock@gmail.com

Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

> On my old system, which has a GeForce 4800 Ti, I simply had it set to
> "Dualview" mode. Now, I decided to try Horizontal Span mode. In
> general, I think I prefer the spanning, now that the new card's drivers
> can constrain most apps to a single monitor when told to maximize.
> However, note that it is "most", not "all".

Couple thoughts:

1. Yes, firefox title bar gets hidden when you hit F11. That is
normal. I don't know why KenP got a "Save As" screen. That's kind of
weird.

2. Why not just use DualView? It seems like it does everything you are
trying to get Horizontal Span to do for you. What's the advantage of
switching to Horizontal Span if you want to change it to work like
DualView everywhere?

Phillip

Jeffrey Kaplan

It is alleged that (E-Mail Removed) claimed:

> Couple thoughts:
>
> 1. Yes, firefox title bar gets hidden when you hit F11. That is

And that's where the span problem occurs.

> 2. Why not just use DualView? It seems like it does everything you are
> trying to get Horizontal Span to do for you. What's the advantage of
> switching to Horizontal Span if you want to change it to work like
> DualView everywhere?

The only thing I don't like about horizontal span is the applications
spanning the gap between the monitors. With horizontal spanning, I can
reduce the height of the taskbar back to single-height and have it span
both monitors, and still have room for my taskbar toolbars and running
apps buttons. And there are other programs I use that behave better
with horizontal span than dual view, programs that open secondary
windows where I want the secondary window on the +other+ monitor than
the main window.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"Our thoughts form the Universe. They always matter." (G'Kar, B5
"Hour of the Wolf")